Fall TV Preview

Empire Season 2: Pop Star Becky G Lands Guest-Starring Role

Empire fans know there is only one Becky — and she’s played by Oscar-nominated Gabourey Sidibe, mmmmkaaayyyy?

But Fox’s ratings juggernaut is making room for a second Becky — pop star Becky G, to be specific — by casting her in a guest-starring role in Season 2.

The news was announced by series regular Bryshere Y. Gray (who plays Hakeem) in a video posted on the official Empire Facebook page.

A Fox rep confirmed the casting — and TVLine will update this URL with information on the “Shower” singer’s character as soon as we get it.

Among the show’s additional sophomore-season incoming recurring players and guest stars are Oscar-winner Marisa Tomei (as Mimi Whiteman, a lesbian venture capitalist who becomes embroiled in Lyon family drama), The Wire‘s Andre Royo (as Lucious’ lawyer), CSI: Miami‘s Adam Rodriguez, Destiny’s Child diva Kelly Rowland, comedian Chris Rock, R&B superstar Alicia Keys and rock god Lenny Kravitz. Additionally, Gabourey Sidibe and Ta’Rhonda Jones, who play Lucious’ and Cookie’s respective lackeys Becky and Porsha, have been elevated to full-fledged series regulars, TVLine reported exclusively in April.

Excited about Becky G’s Season 2 casting? Sound off in the comments!

1. Al says:

Empire please be careful with all these stunt casting.

2. abz says:

This neverending list of guest stars being announced for next season is really starting to worry me. They should really cool it. They’re already making AHS level mistakes now. Too big of a cast, too little time for the primary characters.
    The only other casting announcement I’d be willing to see happen is having Raven Symone guest star again. Other than that, it’s getting to be way too much at this point.

3. Steven says:

Ok Empire. You’re entering Glee territory. Maybe your best course would be to tread lightly.

4. Jooshua says:

Becky G? Pop star? Oh my gosh.. am I getting to that age where you never know current popular musicians.. and I’ll end up saying things like “What’s a Snooki?” NOOOOO!!!!

5. wrstlgirl says:

I have to agree with other posters here. It’s getting a bit much for me too. The season hasn’t even started yet and I’m already tired of hearing about it. I want to see character development with the awesome core cast.

6. B.T. says:

Is it stunt casting if I don’t know who the hell Becky J. is?

7. Annie says:

Becky G is an actress. At some point it is casting, and not stunt casting. Who cares if the person is well known, the only thing that matters is that they can act, and that the part fits them, as was the case with both Naomi Campbell and Courtney Love.

8. Malik says:

YESSSSS! Love Becky G!!!

9. Ro says:

Man, I’m old… who is Becky G?

10. jessica says:

For the people who dont know who BECKY G is…. she has two hits for Gods sake!!! Look up “shower” and “cant stop dancin”. Shes Bae ❤

11. Sandra says:

I find it interesting that whenever there a successful black show or i should say a lot of black people in it; suddenly white people want to start bombarding the show but when it’s a white show ie Downton Abbey or other white shows you see a black face after 3 to 4 season normally when a show is about to finish. Please stop, this show could be ruined at this rate.

12. Anahi says:

This is amazing I am so glad Becky g is going to be on the set of Empire. Im her biggest fan! I love Empire, it is the best show ever and when i heard becky g is coming out i was like this show is going to be way better than amazing!