Degrassi Best Worst Couples

Degrassi's Top 17 Couples, Ranked: Eclare vs. Fimogen and More

After 14 seasons, 370+ episodes and countless romantic entanglements, it’s almost time to say goodbye to Degrassi: The Next Generation. (The series finale airs Friday at 9/8c on TeenNick.) And what better way to honor the Canadian masterpiece than by ranking the heck out of its countless couples?

It goes without saying that this was no easy task. As That ’70s Show‘s Kitty would say, the students at Degrassi Community School “change partners more than square dancers,” which means I had a lot of potential couples to choose from. Yet I was somehow able to whittle the list of endless hookups down to 17, which I’ve arranged in ascending order in the gallery below.

Before you proceed, allow me to explain two things:
1. Because everyone and their mother has dated on this show, I refrained from doubling up on any characters (as much as I wanted to at times).
2. This is merely one Degrassi historian’s opinion. I welcome your own thoughts in the comments section.

So click through to the gallery below, then drop a comment with your own ranking. Did I come close to your list? And which couples were egregiously left off entirely? Go ahead, I can take it.

1. Paria says:

Zig and Maya remind me a lot of Sean and Emma. Good blonde girl with the bad boy. So much drama but they are such great couples.

2. Wee says:

I like that you included a lot of original couples like Ashley and Jimmy (my original otp) and Sean and Emma but I wouldn’t include any of the newer characters’ relationships because most of the story lines were ripoffs of the earlier seasons of Degrassi.

3. kn1231 says:

I just can’t stand Claire. Never liked her, still don’t. I was actually liking Mia and Zig until last night, too much up and down with them. I still think Drew and Bianca are close to my top favorites from the “newer” crowd. I actually really liked Drew with Becky as well (even though it was kind of weird because of Adam).

4. Kathryn says:

1. Emma & Manny

Their friendship was more complex and interesting than any romantic one on the show.

5. Karen says:

I really liked Peter and Darcy! But my favourite couple is probably Manny and Jay. I wish they got married instead of the totally random Emma and Spinner.

• jbj says:

Manny & Jay were my favorites, too. Jay was always a funny villain, but getting whipped by Manny let the writers bring out his oddly nurturing side. Which until then, we only saw in that Degrassi mini of Babysitter Jay.

• jbj says:

I kid (a little) about Jay being whipped. I meant to say that after so many years of Manny getting treated like crap by guys she adores, it was ironic that a guy for whom misogyny was among the least of his crimes would become the one who would do anything for her happiness. She didn’t want him, so she didn’t make him change, but I think he helped her value herself more and she helped him value others more.

• Karen says:

I completely agree – they were really good together! Manny had sooo many bad relationships. There should be a worst couples list! Manny with her gross drama teacher would be high up there. *Shudder*

6. Jay says:

Glad to see Ashley and Jimmy. I always preferred her with him and not Craig. I so agree with number 1. Despite their issues, Eclare rock and I want those crazy kids together.

7. mollytanner says:

Craig and Ashley (and Manny).

• Ashbash says:

Degrassi’s best number 1 love triangle

• Matt says:

Absolutely correct. I don’t know who else has come close. Drew, Bianca and, Katie was decent though. Wow, It’s been such a long ride. I really grasped for Katie’s name. I kept thinking Maya’s sister.

I really thought this is the year I would finish Degrassi. I thought Clare and Alli graduating would be it. I just wanted to see them off but Zig and Maya have grown on me too much. I kind of like Frankie and Winston too. I think they have potential.

I think Tristan could eventually become like able. He sucks but you root for him. Zoe too really. Even when she is dumb you’re not really wanting her to fail I don’t fail. She got drunk like a dumb idiot but I still felt bad for her when everyone attacked her.

• Mollytanner says:

That triangle set Degrassi off more than any other story in the early years. I think I was sympathetic to all 3 of their perspectives. And I did like KC and Claire before the show derailed them for Jenna.

• Matt says:

Yea, I never got KC and Jenna. I never understood that whole thing. It kind of seemed like KC was just confused. Oh well, we got Clare and Eli. It just feels like the universe agrees on Clare and Eli.

8. missvci says:

Granted I stopped watching the series right at the beginning of Clare and Eli’s relationship, so don’t know about many of these couples. I remember liking Ali and I think his name was Jamal (the skinny black kid) as couple,

But the #1 couple of Degrassi TNG will always be Sean and Emma. It was such a disservice when they married Emma and Spinner. There needs to be one more reunion special that has the divorce of Emma and Spinner and her going with Manny to find Sean her one true love.

also, when we last saw Jimmy he going to propose to that last wheelchair bound girl he was dating, so hihgly doubt there was Jimmy and Ashley reunion

• Anthony says:

Ali and Dave. Yeah they were pretty good as a couple. I don’t know why the writers basically wrote him out of the show with no explanation. He should have graduated with everyone else in the finale. And he was even at the vigil for Adam but when they show came back on he was no where to be found after that.

9. Gilbert says:

Craig and Ashley are always my Degrassi OTP. Also, if Clare and Drew had actually gotten their chance, they would have been an absolute favorite for me. The chemistry and buildup was awesome. Bummer the writers abruptly ended it for no good reason in favor of pushing Clare back to Eli (again) and pairing Drew with his dead brother’s girlfriend…

• Grey's Fan says:

Craig and Ashley were the best couple and it’s totally plausible for them to get back together – they were always the break up/make up, on-off couple, who go their separate ways but then reunite. I think Craig and Ashley are probably together right now while Ashley’s and Ellie’s friendship is still going strong. A&E had one of the best friendships on the show and I don’t think anything could wreck it – they both liked Craig and Jimmy but it didn’t stand in the way of their friendship.

• jerrired says:

Agree, Craig and Ashley will always be my favorite Degrassi couple. I never liked Craig and Ellie. I still don’t get why people shipped them. They were better as just friends in my opinion. Declan and Holly J would be second for me. And I actually liked Claire and Drew too. They had potential and a good progression. But people are oddly obsessed with EClaire so I knew they wouldn’t last long.

• Matt says:

Craig and Ashley were that couple that made sense but Craig and Ellie were the ones that just really ugh I don’t know. You just wanted it. I dunno.

10. Alicia says:

I personally would have put Craig and Ellie as number one if we had some resolution and new for sure that they ended up together. Emma and Sean would have been my second because they define early Degrassi to me! Jay and Manny third (the really grew on me)! Jt and Liberty 4th and Ashley and Jimmy 5th! I didn’t watch it past the 7th season and the Degrassi Goes Hollywood movie.

11. Kaylee says:

Sean and Emma should be higher….but other than that, excellent list. And thanks for omitting that horrible Sav:HollyJ mix up.

12. Jess says:

I really enjoyed your list, Andy! It might have something to do with the fact that I agreed with most of your choices…. Although I love Eclare (they are also the only couple on the list who actually seem as though they will end the series still together), I think my number one will always be Craig and Ellie. It hurts my heart a little when I think about how “off” their timing always was; they could never quite get it together. Isn’t it interesting that they’re among the top of many people’s lists for best pairing, but they were never even officially a couple? Maybe that’s why they’re such a popular pairing; Ellie’s love for Craig was mostly unrequited, and that yearning feels very authentic and relatable. Also, they were great friends, and their chemistry seemed to build out of that friendship. Thanks for the article; I hope you write about Friday’s finale after it airs!

13. Jen says:

Craig and Ashley, of course. “She’s always been [his] inspiration.” He never loved anyone like he loved her. They weren’t puppy love and it wasn’t a one-sided crush. It helps that some of the greatest episodes (Tears Are Not Enough, Rock and Roll High School, Voices Carry) were all Crash-centric as well :) By far one of the most well-written and deepest high school couples ever on TV.

14. Ash says:

Andy! J.T. and Liberty ended so tragically but dang you could at least write a couple more sentences about them they are my favorite!

15. How can you omit the original couple snake/Archie Simpson and Spike/christine Nelson from this list?

16. meatwad says:

Alex and Paige FOREVER!!!!!!

17. Guest says:

I was always a Craig and Manny fan, but thats just me.

• Lori says:

Yes me too Manny and Craig were my favorite there was just something about them that made me love them and it sucked the way things ended with them. I did love Jay and Manny too it was a surprising pairing but they were good together too . I also love Sean and Emma, Jimmy and Ashley and Spinner and Paige and Hate that no of them ended up together

18. Ally Oop says:

Holly J & Declan
    Jane & Spinner
    Ashley & Jimmy
    Manny & Jay
    Emma & Sean

19. cyclone says:

All the different couple incarnations and THESE were your top 17???? I admit some were good choices though their standing on the list was questionable and others just had me go “they were a couple”. We definitely have different definitions of who the top couple were in the shows vast history.

20. Me says:

I know that this is old, but I’m loling at your list, because it’s obvious that you only included Peter/Mia and Jimmy/Ashley because you wanted to include Nina and Drake on your list. The former couple was widely despised and the latter wasn’t too memorable and had a lukewarm reception at best.