Anthony Geary General Hospital Return

Anthony Geary to General Hospital Fans: JK About That Retirement!

If you’re one of the General Hospital faithful disappointed with Anthony Geary‘s much-heralded exit earlier this week, things are looking up: You may get to watch it happen all over again!

Despite earlier this year saying this summer would be his last on the ABC soap, Geary is thinking about coming back, EW.com reports.

“If the story is interesting to me and it works out, I may come back to the show for six weeks or so,” Geary told the site.

RELATED General Hospital: Did You Approve of Luke’s Farewell?

In May, the eight-time Daytime Emmy winner made news by announcing that his tenure as Luke Spencer — half of the onetime supercouple Luke and Laura — was about to come to an end.

“I’m just weary of the grind and have been for 20 years,” he said at the time, adding, “I really don’t want to die, collapsing in a heap, on that GH set one day. That wouldn’t be too poetic.”

RELATED Sherri Shepherd Books View Return

The daytime drama put considerable effort into giving Geary a memorable sendoff, complete with a storyline that brought back much-missed characters — such as Jonathan Jackson’s Lucky and Genie Francis’ Laura — and righted a character death that angered viewers years ago.

Now, though, the actor sounds like he has changed his mind. Perhaps it’s the clarity that comes with distance. (Geary taped his final episodes in June.) Perhaps it’s that GH headwriter Ron Carlivati has been replaced. Whatever the reason, Geary now says “I really don’t think we have exhausted what [Luke] can do. It depends on the writers and how far they want to look,” adding that he’d return if the show’s writing staff could come up with “a twist.”

GH fans, would you welcome Geary coming out of retirement? Sound off in the comments!

1. He might not be exhausted with Luke but I am. Let the show move on!

2. Jessica says:

This fan does not want him back!!!

3. Carole says:

As a fan, I enjoyed the entire last year. I consider that year his swan song. Justly rewarded with a well-deserved Emmy. . The train has left the station, stay gone. Here’s a concept: let other actors shine.

4. DavidSask says:

STAY GONE PLEASE!!!

5. wrstlgirl says:

No surprise. This happens a lot when people retire.

6. Candy says:

I think he’s said his goodbyes and it was an Anthony send off he wanted except for the death of Luke so he should leave be before he loses even more fans.

7. Scott says:

I’m so sick of him doing this crap all the time. Either stay or go, just make up your g.d. mind

8. Jenny says:

Because he hasn’t destroyed this show enough he wants to mess with more. He wanted to retire a couple years ago and then last minute changed his mind. So they had to rewrite story for that. For someone who seemed completely miserable, why would he want to go back.

Was happy to see Luke leave and hope he doesn’t ever go back.

9. Sarah says:

Please stay retired, maybe actual deserving actors will get the airtime and Emmy wins for a change.

• emily says:

i don’t understand this reasoning. Other amazing actors like Tristian Rogers and Emma Samms comes back for short visits. Tony Geary should also be able to. In fact, i’d loved it! It would be great to see him again.

• Mary says:

Maybe in a few years, but not a couple of months after the big to do. Sorry Tony is a good actor but General Hospital does not need to be centered around him. His storyline for me is over for now. He should just go enjoy himself, and maybe in a year or two make a visit, not a permanent stay.

• Cara Varela says:

Because they don’t have the show revolve around them. TG wanted to leave awhile back, and wanted Luke to die, so they wrote the polonium poisoning thing, and then he changed his mind. Then he wanted Luke to go dark, so they did the Fluke thing, which got dragged out so long because of TG’s surgery. It finally got wrapped up, and he decided he was leaving so they had to write a big exit storyline for him with relatively short notice. When Robert and Holly leave town there’s no big whoop, so they can pop in and out whenever.

• jbj says:

AMEN! His last outburst made me really angry because this was a good year for Jason Thompson to get his first win, but those darn Emmy voters are just suckers for that windbag.

10. Melora says:

HA! Knew this would happen once he heard RC was fired

• Mary says:

Sad part about it is that Ron wrote his amazing story about his demons. Tony has an ego problem and personally GH should not cater to it. I wasn’t thrill about some of the story lines this year, but I do not put that all on Ron.

11. Clandestine Green says:

I think it is pretty obvious that Geary phoned it in throughout his last couple of returns from vacation. He mat be having second thoughts since the horrible RC has been fired, but, I have had enough. Let Luke rest and let the show grow up without him.

12. Just Stay Gone Geary. You have no respect for the genre and the fans so ENOUGH.

13. Does the show still have enough money for him considering how much it’ll surely cost to replace all of that scenery he chewed? I vote to spread mountain ash all the way around the studio.

14. Chloe says:

Please heaven, no!

15. The only thing I want to see him come back for is Luke’s death storyline.

16. Ted says:

Go away. Seriously. Your character was payed out long ago.

17. m j masten says:

GH needs better writers to come up
    With more realistic story lines for the character luke regarding real life situations. Maybe luke wants to have more meaningful relationships and different outlook on life. Maybe geary shd have more say so and input of what he wants.his character to be.

• megan armstrong says:

to give Geary more imput than he already has would kill the show. He is the one who dictated having those dark story lines and he also rewrites much of his material. And yet he is never blamed for their unpopularity. It was giving Geary so much control over the character of Luke that killed my love for that character. not the writers and certainly not RC. I hated Luke long before he came. And by the way, TG is the one who loves Bill Eckhart and approved that story. Because of his back they had to delay it all. And then he through the writer under the bus.

I have no respect for this actor, and I can’t stand the character Luke. As they say, Geary, don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

• donholley77 says:

Geary did have input!! That’s part of the reason GH is in the mess it’s in! GEEZUS!

18. N says:

Bye-Bye Tony!

19. Kelly says:

Seriously? After all the fuss they made about this being his final farwell?

20. Becky says:

I would like to see him come back. He and Tracy made me laugh they were good together and now this show is boring.

• Mary says:

If you find the show boring, it is not because Luke isn’t there. He has only been gone for two days, please don’t exaggerate his worth. I guess what you might be saying is you don’t care for the story lines now.

21. danoregon says:

How can we miss you, if you never leave?

22. Lois says:

Oh course we’d welcome him back for a fabulous storyline… He has been a huge part of the show!

23. Lois says:

Oh course we would want Tony back for a fantastic storyline… We are GH fans that have watched him for yes. If the story is great and he’ll come back for it then it will make for great tv.

24. Venus kelley says:

Yes bring Luke Spencer back cause there is more to Luke then to just leave like he did . There is still lots of passion between laura and Luke and they both need to fulfill their journey’s together grow old together a normal life away from port Charles .

• Michael says:

That won’t happen if Tony Geary has anything to say about it. He hates Luke and Laura together. He was adamant that it was over between them. He doesn’t even like Genie Francis. He thinks Luke and Laura held back his career instead of realizing it made him a household name.

• Becky Hagerman says:

Yes this is so much truth! Geary didn’t want a final LNL scene that’s why Gh didn’t have one and the same goes for any flashbacks. He doesn’t appreciate LNL or the fans!

25. ChrisGa says:

I know he’s a legend and all but I wouldn’t let him within five hundred feet of that studio after that tacky, completely classless exit interview he gave Michael Logan over at TV Insider. He not only threw “the writer”—as he referred to Carlivati, never calling him by name during the entire interview–under the bus but also the legacy of Luke and Laura, which he basically said was his least favorite thing in his thirty plus years playing the character. What a bitter, ungrateful individual.

26. Bella says:

If the storyline interests him then why shouldn’t he come back for short stints. I’d certainly love to see Luke on screen again, it won’t be the same without him.

27. JRobey83 says:

He’s like the Brett Favre of actors. I for one don’t want Luke back. I’m surprised he is even thinking about returning after that exit interview he gave. It probably pissed off a lot of people. He pretty much complained about every head writer GH has ever had and it seemed like he had no respect for the show that made him famous.

28. Libda Hitchcock says:

I would definitely welcome him back. I cried Monday when he left, I have watched him on GH. I was real young when I started watching GH. I was 12 and now I am 48. So about 36 yrs give or take couple here or there. I would welcome him back.

29. Lisa says:

I would love for Luke to come back every now and then. He’s been a part of my life for decades.

30. Lorraine says:

I welcome him back sometimes we all need a rest so if he comes back for six weeks it be good

• Abe Froman says:

But he would get a six month rest every year. What makes him think it will be different this time? Just stay gone until they cancel the show, then he can come back for the finale.

31. Szymech@comcast.net says:

I’m a huge Luke and Laura fan and don’t like some of his recent comments re The Wedding, etc, but I would love to see him return!! The final Luke episode was underwhelming. He has a huge ego, but so what? Most actors do.

32. ana kee says:

It seems the departed writer made quite a few frenemies during his tenure…he lost a huge actor in ‘Jason’..those are the types of actors that anchor a soap and are in it for the long haul…an inability to reach a deal with him was a huge mistake…as for Luke..he will always be a huge part of GH and I fully expected him to return from time to time with a fun arc..it was good to see some old faces during his last story..but it wasn’t that well thought out..no goodbye to Natasha? Uh-uh..

33. After his departing comments to his fans about how he owes them nothing, after telling fans of Luke and Laura to basically f off, that he was sick of being known as part of the Luke and Laura story, after his constant whining about his storylines, I’m of the opinion he can stay gone. I was gobsmacked when I read his departing interview, insulted by his attitude toward his fans and have zero interest in seeing him return. Hopefully GH will move forward with some remotely interesting storyline but in the meantime, enjoy the retirement you’ve been threatening GH with for so many years.

34. I would love for Tony to come back to GH. The thought of never seeing him on the show again is just plain sad. Please come back from time to time.😊

35. Ria says:

Honestly it seems that all of this nonsense was just about getting people to tune in and raise the ratings. GH fans are constantly being manipulated by the writers as well as the actors. The story lines tend to drag on an on into eternity. Fans are constantly being tested over and over. If that isn’t enough, we are tortured with commercials. I feel that an hour episode translates into 10 minutes of actual storyline. Give me a break! Treat the GH fans with a little more respect. We are an intelligent group. Don’t insult our intelligence any more. Move the story lines along a bit quicker. As for Tony Geary, loved you from the beginning, but don’t test my patience.

• I agree, especially the Jason story…are they really going to put us through seeing Jason (Jake) getting married while Patrick and Sam do also?? It’s ridiculous. Bring the truth out and lets get on with the real story.

36. Kailani says:

Always DID have one of the biggest egos in TV. I see nothing in that regard has changed.

37. mzlora says:

I would always welcome Luke back to my living room.

38. Digger Miller says:

hell yess!!! bring the greatest actor in the history of daytime dramam back anytime—let him be the Luke of old though—stronger and feistier than ever!!! would love to see it happen!!

• graze says:

Great actors are humble and appreciate their fans, they do not deride their fans for liking the character their fans loved and gave them fame and iconic status in the first place. Geary will never play Luke of old, never. He’s also played a major part in keeping away Genie Frances’ Laura, the heart and soul of GH. It’s her time to shine on GH.

39. I’m ready for him to be gone for good. I loved him in his day, but I hate it when they leave and come back, over and over, like Robin. I don’t care to see either again.

40. Digger Miller says:

t he possibility of Luke Spencer coming back to Port Charles will keep the show alive—bring him back more strong and hot-headed as he was in days of yore though…the greatest actor in daytime tv’s history should always be welcomed back to Port Chuck!

41. rogeristodd says:

I am very happy to hear this! As a Luke fan who was unhappy with his last day, I want him back always. Of course as a Luke and Laura fan, who is a die hard romantic, the story line I want, is probably not the one he would want, but hopefully he’ll soften up to the idea. :)

42. Britt says:

Come back you make the show love seeing you on GH

43. Becky Hagerman says:

I would like him to return but only if agrees to do LNL! i heard that TG was the reason we didn’t get a final LNL scene. That is so sad that he wouldn’t give LNL fans a crumb.

• lisa says:

Amen. I am so over him disparaging Luke and Laura. He was wonderful with Genie Francis and did wonderful work. He needs to embrace it and accept it and get over it or stay gone.

44. Molly says:

No thanks. I was okay with his character leaving and I don’t have any interest in seeing him return.

45. aph1976 says:

I think Anthony Geary has said he’d be willing to return GH if the story but he didn’t want to come back just for the character of Luke to see his grandson or holidays or stuff like that.He wanted an exciting story.Plus it doesn’t sound like he’s willing to come back full time.However i think right GH is focused on other things other than bringing back Luke.However i could see him coming back early next year for February Sweeps.

46. Patty says:

Would love to see him come back, even if only for short periods!! Love Anthony Geary as Luke!!

47. jbj says:

Ugh, he is the worst! I think I’m going to take a break from GH…at least until November to get over RC. If TG is back by then, I’ll just wait it out.

48. Sharon Brown says:

I would love to see Anthony (Luke) return, and I agree for a great interesting brief period, let him come and then bring him back every now and then. They do that with Felicia and Mac! Why not Luke?

• Bruce Padgett says:

Absolutely come back Tony! GH would have died decades ago if not for his iconic portrayal of Luke, and he has remained a focal point of the show–for good reason. This is an icon we’re talking about.

49. Gary Williams says:

There is no one like the legendary Luke Spencer he is a man of many talents and Anthony Geary always brings out the best in the character I am always amazed by his quick wit and no matter how dire the situation he always comes out on the other side with that gotcha grin lol !! So please come up with something spectacular so that Luke will make his return and dazzle us all Luke’s not done yet thank you GO GET EMAIL ANTHONY GEARY !!!