Welcome To Sweden Cancelled

Welcome to Sweden Cancelled

It’s official: NBC will no longer be welcoming anyone to Sweden.

Greg Poehler, creator and star of Welcome to Sweden, announced the sophomore comedy’s cancellation via Instagram on Tuesday in a lengthy, humorous and bittersweet message to its fans:

Holy shit. What a ride! Due to some craptastically low ratings in the US, WTS is officially done. I am eternally grateful to all of our fans. When you make a show – and write, produce, obsess and and act in it – all you want us for someone, somewhere, to tell you they appreciate it. There have been so many of you in both Sweden and the US that have done so, and every compliment has made me immeasurably happy. So, thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I'm sitting here crying, but mostly because I'll prob never work with Josephine, Christopher, Lena, Per and Claes again. They are among the best people I've ever met and I am so so happy and grateful that they let me act with them. Regardless, what an incredible journey! I could write for days about it. But I am so grateful to the cast, crew and directors for making Swedish tv history. I love you all! Among our accomplishments (aka "Things you would never read in a Swedish newspaper"): — 6 million viewers per ep worldwide (most by a Swedish show… last year? any year? ever??) — First ever Swedish show shown (as is) on American TV (subtitles and all) (I think first ever EUROPEAN show on any of the major US broadcast networks) — Winner Best Comedy (world) at BANFF; Winner Best Intl Comedy (Monte Carlo) — both firsts for a Swedish show — First nominations for Swedes at Monte Carlo Intl TV Festival – Bornebusch (Best Actress) and me, if I count as a Swede (Best Actor) –Countless memories that will last a lifetime THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE! I sincerely love you all. Tears of joy…. The best thing is we live in an age where you can see the remainder of the eps on NBC and Hulu and Amazon and elsewhere (Paul Simon and Jack Black and Neve Campbell and Aubrey Plaza await). So please PLEASE watch them. I think they are great. Toward the end, I finally figured out what I was doing. Worry not. The best is yet to come. For me and for you.

A photo posted by Greg Poehler (@gpoles22) on

Despite Poehler’s mention of the remaining episodes being available online, there has been no announcement of a rollout plan.

The international production, which returned to NBC on July 19 to “craptastically low ratings,” starred Poehler as Bruce Evans, who experiences a bit of culture shock when he moves to Sweden with his girlfriend (Josephine Bornebusch). The comedy’s cast also included the likes of Lena Olin (Alias) and Patrick Duffy (Dallas).

Are you bummed about the cancellation? Drop a comment with your thoughts on Sweden below.

1. rob says:

Enjoyed the show and scenery.

2. Ralph says:

Never heard of it

3. Patrick says:

I’m not surprised. A show’s whose central theme is that America and all Americans are stupid didn’t resonate with American viewers. If it had been funny, it might have worked. It wasn’t, and it didn’t.

• James says:

Well, thank god you’re here to let us know.

• Ally_D says:

I’m surprised to see you say that’s what you took from the show. That’s not how it seemed to me but I’m a Swedish/Brit living between Stockholm, London & New York so perhaps my perspective is a bit different. For me it was about the sacrifices you are willing to make for the one you love and what happens when two cultures meet. It could have easily been a look at what happens when someone moves from NYC to Idaho to be with their partner.

• Stern des Südens says:

Well said. That’s exactly what is was. I’m American and found it in no way insulting to Americans. While Greg Poehler’s character was a little ignorant, it was played for laughs as someone struggling to adjust to an entirely new culture with little knowledge of tha language, customs, etc. It was lighthearted and humorous, and I enjoyed it for being different from most comedies on American TV, even if it wasn’t always laugh-out-loud funny.

• Marci says:

I enjoyed it too, and wasn’t insulted by it at all. It was fun hearing dialogue in Swedish, since it’s a language we’re not exposed to very often. I think it was a real labor of love on Greg Poehler’s part and I’m disappointed on his behalf, as well as mine, that it was canceled.

• Nichole says:

Fully agree with your point. This show reminded me a lot of Outsourced, which was also very funny, but an office comedy rather then relationship/family comedy, but it also found a lot of the humour from the American team leader going to India to run a call center and being a bit of a duck out of water culturally. Both very enjoyable shows and sorry to see WTS go. Loved the Uncle character especially, hope to see more of him then we have so far this season!! BTW I’m Australian, but can laugh at the sometimes ridiculous way Aussies are portrayed at times as a cross between Paul Hogan and Steve Irwin on American TV shows. Most of us really do just sound and act like Jesse Spencer’s character on House lol!!

• Lindsey says:

I agree. I didn’t think it was offensive at all. I don’t think Bruce came across as ignorant either. There were times, maybe, but it certainly wasn’t all the time. To me, it was about the cultural differences and how difficult it can be to live in another country but to be willing to do that for someone you love. I moved across the world to a non-English speaking country by myself a few months ago, and many of the experiences Bruce had mirrored my own. Moving to a different country isn’t easy, and Welcome to Sweden showed that in a funny light.

• Bob Backus says:

Since you are in the UK sometimes, I suggest you listen to the BBC Radio 4 comedy that was exactly the same as this show, this time it was a British comedian relocating to Sweden. It was pretty funny. “The Cold Swedish Winter”. I’m currently learning Swedish so loved both shows.

• I don’t agree — naivete isn’t stupidity. It was about naive, innocent cross-cultural conflict with an amusing outlook at the vicissitudes of adaptation; fitting in. It was refreshingly not coarse, vulgar, or cynical as so much that passes for humor today is.

4. Ally_D says:

This is sad but not entirely unexpected news. I saw the show in Sweden and season 1 was really funny – it played on lots of stereotypes and pointed out the funny differences between the two cultures. Season 2 wasn’t quite so good and really only picked up in the last few episodes. It seemed to rely too heavily on American guest stars – a concession to get viewers eyes on US TV I suppose – and the sweetness of the relationship between Bruce & Emma seemed to have disappeared. Bruce’s anxiety about living in Sweden in season 1 was tempered by Emma but in season 2 this anxiety was turned towards his relationship and it wasn’t so enjoyable.
    The difficulty of the show in America was always going to be the subtitles. In Sweden most people can switch easily between Swedish and English so although they’re provided, the subtitles are not entirely necessary. The reverse can’t be said for America.
    The shining light of the whole show however was Josephine Bornebusch who played Emma. I’m not sure of her circumstances but if she wished she could probably have a career in the US. She’s great at comedy, can deliver emotion and having written and produced Welcome to Sweden is clearly smart and talented.

• Agreed, Season 2 was weak. Bruce gets talked into situations that aren’t funny.
      Emma has problems at work that are universal, not Swedish. They aren’t funny either.
      The last few episodes did improve but it was too little too late.

5. Jared says:

Enough with these pity renewals NBC. WTS should have never seen a second season..at least not in the US.

6. James says:

I place all blame on the media for perpetuating the myth that Greg Poehler is Amy Poehler’s brother, when in fact he is her secret love child with Greg Kinnear.

7. sus says:

SO sad to see this show go. Greg Poehler you are awesome and creative and funny and keep it coming!! Don’t let the “Patricks”s” of this world distract you. Please.

8. Ally Oop says:

Last year I didn’t find the show that funny but this year it was hilarious. I will miss it

• KatsMom says:

I agree. I’ve laughed at these first 4 episodes more than I remember laughing all last season. Last season just felt more sweet and heartwarming than funny.

9. Jane L. says:

Did NBC promote season 2 at all? I didn’t even know season 2 started.

10. CJ says:

Awww, this is a shame. I really enjoyed this show. Hopefully the rest of the episodes will be available online.

11. Carla Krae says:

Aside from when it was going to premiere, I never saw any ads for season 2. Not that I planned on watching, but it was obvious NBC didn’t care to support the show for season 2.

12. BTM says:

I didn’t even know it existed. Now I’ll have to Google it.

13. Pat202 says:

I really enjoyed this show a lot and had been looking forward to this summer’s second season so am very disappointed! what a shame that it didn’t get a longer run!!!

14. SarahJ says:

Yes, I’m bummed! I really enjoy this show! Seriously, what is NBC thinking?

15. Erika says:

Im told you so.Are the people in Sweden really pissed because of Americans don’t watching WTS in US?Swedish people should know about this:
    NBC – comedy/sitcom =Cancelled

16. Eran says:

How have I never even heard so much as a single mention of this show? That itself is testimony to the promotion it’s had.

17. dman6015 says:

The only reason it made it on the air in the first place was Amy Poehler. Now that her show (and influence) are gone at NBC, it made it much easier to cancel. Although, being summer, who cares what craptastic stuff is on NBC. Just show the whole season. Nothing to lose.

18. Bob Backus says:

A suggestion to TVLINE. After writing and posting the article would you please add the 1st few comments from made-up people to help those poor morons who always struggle through your articles so they can make their comments (which probably take a half hour to write). Here’s what your 1st comments should be

“Never heard of it”
    “Was stupid anyway” and the follow up moron reply “You didn’t understand it”
    “Stopped being funny/interesting after x year.”
    “It must mean “Angel” or someone from the show since they used ‘The Powers That Be”! (just a joke.)

19. mj says:

Damn! Been tapin season 2bwith out a chance to watch yet as I was out of town was a greatand quirky show!

20. Tom says:

So I’m confused, are they taking it off schedule immediately or are they going to air the remaining episodes and then no more? The post is slightly vague since he says NBC and not NBC.com

21. Too bad. Amusing. I’ve seen worse. I liked it because it was different; not cookie-cutter. Off-beat. Yes, too bad NBC wouldn’t give it a chance to ‘marinate’ a while.

22. Pam Hinkle says:

this sucks! NBC can’t even air the remainder of Season 2?! Thank you for this show, Greg and Co. It was a great show!

23. Rafiat says:

I thought it was a reality show from what I’d heard of it,so I never even bothered to check it out.

24. Marvin says:

Greg Poehler’s Welcome to Sweden made my wife and I laugh. We looked forward to watching the story and the different characters develop every week. We will truly miss the show.

25. Rena says:

I adored Welcome to Sweden. It was the cleanest funniest culturally spanning comedy of the decade and NBC with it’s very shallow mind set and economic values has thrown it away! Booooo NBC You S%$#! Take your show elsewhere and we will follow! Thanks for the laughs and the wonderful Swedish/American humor!!!

26. Ann Ossinger says:

Awww, shoot. I liked the show, I thought it was funny. Maybe because I have traveled a lot and found myself in culture clash situations where you have to have a great sense of humor? It was refreshing. I have never lived in Sweden, but growing up in the Pacific Northwest, I spent time in a Lutheran school and took a couple years of the Norwegian language. Similar enough to pick up similarities in culture and language. Oh well. It seems like if I like a show, that spells it death knell. :-(

27. Emily says:

Oh, that makes me so sad. This was one of my favorite shows. But I found it by accident. I don’t think NBC promoted it enough. Hardly anyone I know knew about it until I showed it to them. Everyone I introduced it to loved it.

28. janiefcu says:

Totally disappointed with the cancellation of Welcome to Sweden! My husband and I are huge fans…the humour, the culture points, the setting, the actors…All were terrific. We just got our son and his wife into watching. They also are bummed. It was a great comedy with a cultural story line. We will miss the show!

29. georgia says:

I am very disappointed to hear that it has been cancelled. I thought that it perfectly portrays the humor in life when adjusting to/living in another culture. Having spent time in Sweden, I was able to relate to all the characters and the situations. Personally, I was looking forward to a long run and will miss it immensely! Once again the American TV executives made the wrong decision – and what will replace it? Another show about vampires,zombies, rampant sexual encounters? Just what we don’t need.

30. SteveR says:

The First Season was pretty good, and my family anticipated Season Two. But those first two episodes of S2 were terrible and it’s now no wonder the show was canned.

31. Victoria Apodaca says:

Come on i love this show. It never got the hype that other shows do, that could have made a difference.

32. Mary Garmer says:

This was one of most delightful comedies to ever been shown on TV. Such a wonderful look at getting acquainted with living in a different culture, all for the sake of love. It was extremely clever and we truly enjoyed every minute. It is a shame to lose such a brilliant piece of work.

33. Jessica says:

I love this show. I thought it was pretty funny and I loved the swedish culture and language! Wouldn’t it be great if Hulu or Netflix picked this up for another season?!?

34. analiese says:

Intelligent and funny show about life outside USA, should have been renewed. Network did not promote show at all. Same thing happened with “Outsourced,” which was another funny, intelligent show set outside America. Americans would rather watch Kardashians and Real Housewives, the epitome of dumbing down of Americans.

35. NancyB says:

I am so sad this show was cancelled. It is really funny and cleverly written, the acting is good. I really wonder whether it got much of a chance. I only knew the second season was even on because we were recording it and it showed up on the DVR–then it ran for a few weeks and it’s gone. I hope Greg Poehler does more creative work. WE LOVED THIS SHOW!

36. Cathy says:

I loved the show. Well written, great acting and so funny. Maybe the new time slot was the problem. Also I don’t think NBC advertised it enough. Please air the remaining episodes and consider giving it another shot on a different night in a time slot after it turns dark.

37. Absolutely loved Welcome to Sweden…SO disappointed it has been canceled….
    I waited for it to come back. ..and loved the two recent episodes….
    😡😡😡😡😢😡😡😡😡😢😡😡😡😡😡😢