Fall TV Preview
Fall TV Castings 2015

Fall TV Preview: Who's In? Who's Out? Your Guide to 110+ Casting Moves

This fall, more than four dozen TV shows will be returning with new seasons — many of them populated by new faces. There will also be some notable absences.

To cite but a few examples, Oscar winner Marisa Tomei will spice up Empire, Jeffrey Dean Morgan is going to work on (and for?) The Good Wife, Michael Chiklis now wields a shield on Gotham and Arrow will find a new foe in Neal McDonough, while Castle, Sleepy Hollow and Criminal Minds are among the shows bidding cast adieu.

In this Fall TV Ins & Outs gallery, TVLine has sifted through every casting story published since May to deliver a handy primer on the new series regulars and guest stars (appearing in two or more episodes) joining returning faves this fall, plus a spoiler-free refresher on those who have been left behind.

If you like, use these links to jump to a favorite show: A – E | F – G | H – M | N – Z

1. Larc says:

If Michael Socha isn’t going to be a regular on OUAT, I hope he goes to another show where he will be. He’s too talented to be wasted in a recurring slot.

2. Lisa says:

Nice to see Jill Hennessey back on TV.

3. Marla says:

Wow. I’m the first to comment. Regarding Castle: I never thought Penny Jerald Johnson jived with the rest of the cast so I can’t say I’m sad about her leaving. As to the others who are being added, I suppose all shows that have been on as long as Castle has, need to revamp and revise so hopefully these new additions work. Gotham: Not off the air??? Befuddles the mind. CSI Cyber: I love Peter McNichol and I’m sad he had to leave but I worked with Ted Danson and he’s a wonderful man, so I’m looking forward to Ted joining the cast. Arrow: I bever watched this show except the time they played Kris Allen’s song, “Lost”, but I also worked with Neal McDonough while I was in the industry and he too, like Ted Danson, is an awfully nice guy. So I wish Ted and Neal well. I also wish Peter McNichol well and hope he finds another avenue.

These two are not the only actors I worked with on shows airing now, but I only went through A-G and I’m far too polite to say anything negative about some I worked with on other shows. :)

4. LADY_in_MD says:

So does that mean Chris rock will only be in one episode of empire? I hope so!

5. Jake says:

Does anyone know if Meg Steedle will be back this season on The Mysteries of Laura?

6. Mike M says:

Really liking those cast updates for Gotham, should be a great season. Last one to leave the Good Wife set, please turn off the lights…

7. Mallory says:

Glad to see the actors playing Patton and Sonja on NCIS: NOLA will be series regulars! I enjoy both characters very much!

8. That moment when you find out actresses you can’t stand to watch are going to be in some of your favourite shows…. guess it is about time to find something else to watch…

9. Belle says:

NO!!!! Why is Danny Pino not returning to SVU?? I am bummed, lost too many regulars :(

• Zoe says:

I agree. Even though Danny is the only regular we’re losing right now, we lost Munch and Cragen mid-season 15- and I’m sure I don’t have to remind people about Elliot. We need some stability. And I don’t mean Stabler (…this time.). Who do we have left? Liv is the only Season 1 character- plus Fin, Rollins, Barba and Carisi. (but no one likes Carisi.) Of course a changing cast is par for the course for the franchise, but I would argue that part of the reason SVU is so popular is because you get to know these characters year after year in a way that the mothership never did.

I wonder, did Danny Pino decide to leave on his own terms, or did Warren Leight and company write him out? That’s never been made clear, and I think that deserves an answer. If Pino wanted out, then I’m sorry to see him go but I understand- and I’m glad he got a better send-off than some other characters (-cough- Stabler. -cough-), even if they did spend half of his last scene talking about Elliot for some reason, even though Amaro never met Elliot. But if he was written out, then I want to know why. Was it budgetary, or did Warren Leight just run out of new storylines for Amaro? If it’s the first thing, I get it, but if it’s the second, then I’d be compelled to call it disappointing, even a bit lazy. A fan-favorite character like Nick Amaro and a compelling, underrated actor like Danny Pino deserves better than “welp, we’re out of ideas for him, he’s gotta go”.

10. m3rcnate says:

“Chicago Fire
    Steven R. McQueen (The Vampire Diaries) will recur during Season 4 as Jimmy Borelli, the newest member of Firehouse 51.”
    So we taking bets on how long until Gabby sleeps with him?

11. Morgan says:

Lance Gross and Zach Appelman are series regulars for Sleepy Hollow Season 3. Time to update, TVLine!