General Hospital Anthony Geary

General Hospital: Did You Approve of Luke's (& Anthony Geary's) Farewell?

Even if you’ve never watched a single episode of ABC’s General Hospital, there’s a good chance you’ve heard the names Luke Spencer and/or Anthony Geary.

The former is one half of Luke-and-Laura, the supercouple whose wedding was an historic TV event and whose exploits dominated daytime television in the 1970s and ’80s.

The latter is Luke’s portrayer, an eight-time Daytime Emmy winner who in Monday’s episode bid farewell to the soap he called home, off and on, since 1978.

RELATED General Hospital: Ron Carlivati Out as Headwriter, Two Soap Vets to Replace Him

More than half of Geary’s — and Luke’s — final hour in Port Charles was spent down on the docks (of course), waiting for a boat and chatting with Maurice Benard’s Sonny. Their conversation recapped Luke’s recent victory — bringing Elizabeth’s presumed-dead son Jake home (alive!) to his mom — and revisited how Spencer remained tormented by his personal demons.

“I’m leaving Port Charles, Sonny,” Luke said. “For good.”

The men joked about how Frank Smith (a mobster involved in Geary’s first and last story arcs on the show) had brought them together, then Luke gifted Sonny with the gun used to kill the gangster.

“You sure he’s gonna stay dead this time?” Sonny joked.

“I’m gonna guarantee it this time,” Luke said, chuckling.

RELATED The View: Candace Cameron Bure, Paula Faris to Become Co-Hosts

Later, Luke’s daughter Lulu showed up to see her father off. (The show addressed those wanting a big Luke-Laura adios by having Genie Francis’ Laura tell Lulu, “Your dad and I said goodbye a long time ago.”)

Lulu gave her dad a huge hug and told him he’d been a great dad; he, in turn, promised that she had the wherewithal to handle whatever life threw at her.

Lulu later delivered a letter marked “Angel” from her dad to her surprised mother, and as Luke stepped into a foggy night, he said his farewell:

“Goodbye, Port Charles. Good luck to you.”

Grade Geary’s final General Hospital episode via the poll below, then hit the comments to elaborate on your choice!

1. Cherie says:

I was completely and utterly disappointed with the farewell, my local news station 6ABC did a better tribute! smh!

2. Sara says:

It is nice that Luke is out there somewhere, but the whole Lulu goodbye seemed a little odd. I mean, Lulu, he IS out there somewhere. Surely if you need him, you can go see him. I get that the show is trying to honor his character by allowing him to say goodbye. But he isn’t dead and it is a little bizarre to think that just because he is leaving Port Charles, that means he is going to stop ALL communication with anyone and everyone he has ever known, especially his children.

• Marsha Seader says:

I was hinking the same thing!

• Candace says:

Exactly. No one leaves their children & grandchildren forever. Even if they’re on the other side of the world, there’s cell phones and FaceBook & Skype… even for Luke Spencer. That was a lame goodbye.

3. SoapView says:

Short, sweet, simple and straight to the point. I also loved his final scenes with Jonathan Jackson & Jane Elliot & Genie Francis over the past 2 weeks.

4. emily says:

WHERE WAS THE FLASHBACKS? I know they have easy access to them. They have old Luke clips on their website. What…. their too lazy to make a little montage?

• Candace says:

Absolutely. Didn’t Luke (and all of his fans) deserve that? So lame.

• Mary Saitta says:

Exactly what I said! Couldn’t find any from 37 yrs on the show?! #epicfail

• Mary says:

Really people, how many times have we seen flashbacks of Luke’s adventure. We even got some during the weeks leading up to his final goodbye. By his own admission he is fed up of the Luke and Laura story line. Maybe the last show should of been Friday, but I think it was good that he said goodbye to his daughter and Sonny. I thought the ending was perfect him walking into the fog going on his self journey. Oh well I guess they can’t please everyone.

• jjk says:

But this farewell is for the people who watch the show not for Tony. He doesn’t even watch I bet. GH has to cater to the viewers who have watched for years (I was watching in the 60’s as a kid with my mom and sister!) and want to reminisce.

• Lorna Hill says:

Agree, I haven’t watched the show in years. Only watched the last 2 weeks to see Luke’s final days. Was really hoping to see some old footage.

5. wrstlgirl says:

It was a bit boring. The Luke and Laura adventure to save Lucky lacked enthusiasm and really fell flat. Bringing baby Jake back, meh. I mean come on, are these people so stupid after all these years to think that Helena just gave him back because she was tired. You know she did something to that little boy. I guess that will be a story to tell later on when Anthony Geary gets bored and wants to do an episode or three, LOL.

6. Angela Pezzano says:

Where were the flashbacks (during this whole last adventure)? I am glad the door is open and he walked off into the fog but what about airing the first time Luke saw Ethan (when they were talking about it earlier this month)? What about airing Luke & Sonny flashbacks? Or Lucky with Luke? It was written poorly…..

7. SoapView says:

Aside from what *we*, Tony has stated multiple times that they had found a “terrific” way for closure. He’s happy with this ending.

• wrstlgirl says:

Clearly you haven’t read any of his recent interviews. Here’s a little snippet for you.

“I loved that they brought back Emma Samms [Holly], Genie Francis [Laura], Jonathan Jackson [Lucky] and Nathan Parsons [Ethan] so I could work with them one last time, but I did not like the conceit that brought us all together. It was ill-conceived, cheesy and showed a lack of imagination,” he says, adding that the Jake storyline was icing on the awful cake.

• SoapView says:

Clearly you haven’t read his most recent interview with LA Times, published TODAY. Here’s a snippet:

“They’ve given me a terrific wrap for my character. He’s been a difficult, eclectic character to find a motivating conclusion for, but they’ve done just that.”

• wrstlgirl says:

Well then clearly he has a different answer depending on who he is interviewing with.

• aph1976 says:

Anthony Geary hated the show bringing back Frank Smith as part of Luke’s exit story but that doesn’t mean he hated everything about it.

• Sara says:

Where was this interview from? Just curious.

• bigdede says:

His Michael Logan interview was real and more honest.

• Mary says:

His interviews make him seem like an ungrateful brat. General Hospital made him what he is today. He left once but came back, why is that. Maybe his ego was the problem. I know there were story lines that weren’t so great but you take the good with the bad. Name one other show who would let him take the summer off and come back and give him a front line story. He might not have liked Ron but sorry he was given the best story line this last year, and who wrote it??? I just think he should show more class on his way out.

• Kara Ona says:

Who cares? We aren’t and we are the ones who made him and the show!

8. Amy says:

Valerie got a flashback & Luke didn’t?? Fail, Fail, Fail, Fail, FAIL!! Adios Ron!

• bigdede says:

Exactly fail! Where was his goodbye with his reason for being in Port Charles, Scott? I would have loved to see some final scenes between them. Where was his goodbye to Natasha aka Alexis? They couldn’t bring Robin Christopher back for one episode? And with each character he talked to, they could have showed flashbacks. Some of him and Bobbie. Today one of him and Sonny. This was horrid

• Mary Saitta says:

Thank you!!

9. Toni says:

It wasn’t what I expected after all these years, I thought Tracy would at last minute change her mind and go with him, but it was said to see him go. God speed Luke, God speed.

10. anon3 says:

Since TG refused to do Luke and Laura, he got the ending he deserved. Geary should have put his enormous ego aside and allowed an exit that fans could enjoy. Instead, we got an ending no one enjoyed, like 99% of the storylines Geary interfered with over the years. Seems fitting

• Candace says:

The writers didn’t give the viewers & fans the ending “that we all deserved”. I think I could have written a better ending….. SO LAME. I just couldn’t believe it….

11. Abe Froman says:

The whole story bringing back Frank Smith and Jake was a complete failure. They got rid of Ron Carlivati too late. Luke and Tony deserved a much better send-off.

12. Jacqueline Pereira says:

Anthony Geary has so much talent, it would have been nice to see that utilized more before his departure and his final days.

13. alistaircrane says:

I’m pissed. How insulting for Luke and Laura fans!

• alistaircrane says:

The *only* good thing was Luke’s surprise letter for his Angel. That was the episode’s saving grace, and Luke wasn’t even in the scene!!!

• kathy says:

I agree! I wanted to see Luke with Laura even if they didn’t leave together.

14. matty says:

This was a total let-down. No big L&L farewell?

15. dsl68 says:

For the build up we have seen since he announced he was leaving, this was pathetic and ABC/General Hospital should be ashamed of themselves for ending the Luke character with such a boring, lack luster last show!

• Joan Madden says:

I agree. They could have done so much better. Even if Tony wanted to just slink off into the fog, personally, they could have said too bad, and written a better show.

16. Sarah says:

This should have been filled w flashbacks n Tony Geary in every scene!!! Truthfully whoever’s decision to not make this a standalone Luke epi should be fired!!!

• Abe Froman says:

I think he already was ;-)

• Sarah says:

Personally I don’t think Ron had much input bc it didn’t seem like a typical Ron Carlivati episode.

• bigdede says:

The episode was filled with all Ron’s creations. Nina, Madeline, Nathan, Ava/Denise, this new Franco, Kiki, Valerie and you say this wasn’t a typical Ron episode? This is a perfect example of a Ron episode. All his pet newbies in front while vets get 2 second scenes

• Mary says:

The last two weeks have been all about Luke, heck last year the story line was all about Luke. People need to move on from Luke and Laura – that ship has sailed many years ago. If you all feel the need to keep re living it go to U-tube it is on there. I will say there are some new characters that I wish didn’t stay on and the cast is too large, but I don’t put all the blame on Ron.

• Sarah says:

See when I think of Ron’s touches I think of the Anniversary episodes!!! With dialog about history and flashbacks included!!!

• Sarah says:

Turns out Tony was the one who didn’t want a montage w flashbacks.

17. Regina says:

I felt it could have been a better farewell. There could have been some flashbacks from his past episodes on the show. It was very disappointing – after more than 35 years I thought Anthony Geary deserved better.

18. Judy says:

Flashbacks were necessary to wrap up his stellar career and were missing. Disappointed!

• nisey says:

I was waiting to see a flashback with Sonny and Luke, not! Just disappointing. He’s not G-d and the lighting on his face at the end had me laughing….The writers wanted us to know he wasn’t planning on coming back and no Father in his right mind would say that he would not come back to rescue his baby girl again.. and again…Yes, good “You’re a Spencer” spiel, but it lacked the father daughter bond the writer’s worked so hard to create.

• Bonnie says:

Was the end supposed to remind us of the last scene with Bogey and Bacall, if so it fell sadly short. Tony Geary deserved a much better ending.

19. Concerned says:

How exactly did it end? Im confused last I heard he had an evil split personality and was killing people or something? How did he not go to jail for that?

20. Lynn says:

Ok, NBC news just had a story on this with a bunch of clips. NBC can get clips but GH uses none? Gene Francis is on the same episode but no scene of her saying goodbye? The whole episode he spends down at the docks and Sonny gets a longer goodbye with him than Lulu or Laura? What a terrible ending.

21. graze says:

I wrote this on Soap Central-
    TG didn’t have to film a lot of new scenes for today’s show but come on, he could of been thinking of people with flashbacks shown of his time with them, clips of Luke’s many action adventures…how can there not be enough clips from his 37 years on the show to show mixed in with in what was filmed for today. Show Sonny and Luke’s history instead of talking about it for example, the Spencer family with Lucky holding Lulu as a baby…so so much more, UGH!!!.

Don’t be surprise if former viewers who tuned to see Luke’s last day never return to GH after this middle finger to fans, let’s see if others stay around to watch.

To TBTB, thanks again for showing how little you care about an Iconic show and love him or hate him an Iconic character, Lucas Lorenzo Spencer. You. Messed. Up. His. Exit. Royally.

• leahgator says:

I have only been skimming the episodes the past few months to watch TGs final story line. It. Was. Torturous. I found the final episode beyond lacking as it in no way honored the history of the character. I happily cancelled the series from my DVR and felt like I was being released from a obligation. To what? The young teen girl who feel in love with Like and Laura and would rush home from the bus stop every day to watch. I’ve come and gone over the years as a viewer but this is truly final.

22. Janet says:

Luke left with class and possibly a surprise cameo down the road. Good Job!

23. Vickie says:

Too much time spent on stupid storylines. Nina,Kiki, Denise. ..what a shame. So disappointed!

24. Gary. says:

it was great.he got to say good by to ever one and they said good by to him.

25. A fan of TV says:

Like a Cher Farewell Tour, I’ll bet he’ll be back no matter what he says about forever ;)

26. Thomas hunter says:

It would have been nice to have the final episode as ALL Luke. But I did enjoy his last several episodes.

27. Rhonda Talley says:

I was hoping for more dialogue & flashbacks from the past. Watched for over 45 years almost every episode so I feel like I have grown up with the characters. Maybe he will come back for some cameos.

28. Nana3 says:

Maybe when Laura reads the letter Luke wrote to her there will be flashbacks. I agree with the others that Luke/Tony’s exit was poorly written and I thought they would do a montage while the music was playing at the end. Hoping the new writers will start to move the storylines forward and put an end to some of them. We need fresh storylines and not dead ends.

29. kay says:

Did the writers try to have a Casablanca moment?

30. Marsha Seader says:

Epic FAIL! What a waste of a sendoff for the super talented Mr. Geary. And I’m sorry, but you just don’t thumb your nose at the supercouple that put GH on the map and saved the genre from extinction…a short Luke and Laura scene, at the very least, was in order. I didn’t want to watch Luke chatting up Sonny on his last day in Port Charles. Awful.

• Mary says:

Luke and Laura was together for the last two weeks people, get a grip. Like Laura said to Lulu – we have said our goodbyes way before now. I didn’t want to watch another clip of Luke and Laura wedding – come on that to me is overboard.

• ninergrl6 says:

I feel like a lot of the complaints about Tony’s last episode (lack of goodbyes/flashbacks) were actually addressed on screen over the past few weeks — heck, MONTHS if you go back to the awesome Luke/Anna goodbyes. Tony’s had great moments, particularly with Jonathan Jackson & Jackie Zeman (including a flashback), that people are overlooking or maybe even didn’t see. If you tuned in *just* for his last episode, then yes it wasn’t complete (personally I’d be thrilled if Sonny left with Luke never to be seen again). But Luke saying goodbye has been a looong process. Frankly I thought Friday’s episode would have been a great send-off, but then there wouldn’t have been “closure” with Sonny and Lulu and some people would complain about that.

31. Maryb says:

Disappointed in his exit. Luke and Laura should have had the last farewell. What a giant disregard for the longtime fans. I didn’t want Luke and Laura back together, and I’m glad Genie Francis is staying on, but they could have said goodbye as friends. UGH Still angry

• Mary says:

I think his last day should of been Friday, ending with Bobbi because he was the reason for Luke coming to town. Plus final scene in their old home would of been fitting. I agree with Tony, the Luke and Laura thing has been over played to death.

• ninergrl6 says:

Yes! 100% agree! That seemed like a fitting goodbye.

• Joan Madden says:

The wedding has been done to death, and unfortunately Tony got so he couldn’t stand it and his hairstyle in it a long time ago because it typecast him. But there were so many other great Luke and Laura things and scenes and looks and Genie is a terrific actress too. The final episode +/or storyline could have really done a better job with Luke and Laura. I feel bad for Genie that he was so averse to anything to do with that. And the writers & producers really did an AWFUL job of the last show.

32. LT says:

What. A. Letdown!!!!!

33. Peanut says:

I really loved the way they chose to send Luke off. I’m very happy they didn’t send him off in a blaze of fire. I think Anthony Geary is a wonderful and classy actor. He already showed us his wild side through his acting and now he showed us his ‘non acting’ side with a whole lot of class. God bless you, Anthony. May you have a very long and happy life ahead of you.

34. nahjga says:

Tony got the exit he deserved for his years of dictating story. If he didn’t want Laura to be in his last scene he could’ve at least said goodbye to her last week. It’s just a final slap in the face to everyone that cared about that wedding and couple.

I doubt Geary would want flashbacks either. He’s just a different type of guy. His recent interviews prove it.

Ultimately this entire show is a failure because it continues to either miss and ignore what its fans want to see. Once again Geary leaves on his terms and leaves his show in trauma. Just watch them give him another Emmy for it, next year.

• Mary says:

Not all fans. For me the Luke and Laura has been over played. It was great back in the day but I don’t feel the need to keep re-living it. If fans can’t move on past it that is their problem, time moves on. Maybe if Luke had died it might have been warranted but because he is on a journey to find out who he is, I think the ending was fitting.

• nahjga says:

Ok. Then leave me alone to deal with my “problem.” No need to reply to everyone’s comment who disagrees with this notion of yours. I’d say that’s *your* problem.

35. Patti says:

Terribly disappointed. Entire episode should have been dedicated to Luke, flashbacks etc.( Who the heck wants to see Nina/Rick/Maxie/Valerie……….)Totally off the mark and distracting. And it goes without saying that the last episode should have included a heart to heart between Luke and Laura………….

36. Bruce Padgett says:

Geary was an icon, his characterizations rose above the often incredulous storylines. Even when playing Bill Eckert. Maurice Benard is now THE star of GH, so it was fitting he shared several final scenes with Geary. Passing of the torch.

The bottom line is that GH lost much of its heart and soul when Lucas Lorenzo Spencer disappeared into the fog. Damn, I’m going to miss Tony Geary.

37. Theresa says:

I was disappointed. I wanted more flashbacks along with a few more good byes. I felt Luke’s reason for leaving made sense but was not happy with the episodes leading up to it. I didn’t mind the Frank Smith stuff because it was one last adventure for the Spencers. Loved seeing Holly, Lucky & Ethan. Yes it was cheesy at times but for me as a viewer and had watched the left handed boy & ice princess storylines back in the day, it was fun. I wish abc had done some sort of separate show like on the View or a prime time special would have been nice.

38. Nikki says:

L-o-n-g time fan of GH and was EXTREMELY disappointed in how Luke’s exit was written: weak, cheesy, unimaginative storyline. Writers surely could have created a more fitting exit for a character who had such an integral role in GH for so many decades.

39. Mary Saitta says:

Worst exit story ever. Last day was a joke. Barely saw Luke, hour filled with newbies! If #GH wanted to attract new viewers, this was an epic fail! NBC Nightly News had a tribute at the end of today’s show that had more flashbacks than all of the goodbye shows on ABC!! Shame on Frank Valentini and Ron Carlivati. Anthony Geary deserved so much more.

40. Linda Theresa Price says:

ABC you suck!!!! You couldn’t give
    your best Actor a proper send off?? Well now no reason to watch all my favorites are dead or
    gone.
    Perhaps with 2 new writers maybe
    the story lines will improve. Ron C.
    did not to justice to the character
    Luke Spencer or to the wonderful
    Actor Anthony Geary.
    GH has just been put on life support.

41. pfitzdc says:

It was 10 minutes of screen time. And 7 were with Sonny?!?! Thank goodness for the Lulu scene, and I liked the Angel letter nod to Laura. But if he wasn’t going to intact with Bobbie or Carly or someone with more connection than Sonny, at least they should have layered in a short montage of clips…. Very disappointed.

42. Tina Gray says:

The good-bye scenes between Jane Elliot and him or Jonathan Jackson and him were awesome. Maybe they should have saved those for last. Unless the gun means something to whatever is in the envelope, then eh. It was anti-climactic!!!

43. tinafg says:

The scenes between he and Jane Elliot and he and Jonathan Jackson were awesome!!! Maybe they should have saved Jane and Jonathan for last. The scene with “Sonny” was flat. Unless the gun he gave to Sonny had something to do with the letter to Laura, it was anti-climactic.

44. joyanna sprague says:

TONY WAS EXCELLENT AS ALWAYS BUT MORE IMPORTANT HE DID IN STYLE AND HIS WAY. LOVE AND MISS YOU ALL READY TONY.

45. jjk says:

I actually stayed home from work to watch – would have been better off going to work. After a huge epic wedding that people still talk about you would think GH would have had an epic farewell to him. It was so disappointing that there were no flashbacks or anything remotely touching about any of these final scenes. The only touching one was with his on-screen sister Fri – I think she got really choked up. How disappointing!

46. Phyllis says:

There should have been a farewell scene between Luke and Laura. Just because the actors are tired of the storyline doesn’t mean it should be ignored. That story is what really put GH on the map! The writers should have been true to the love story and the journey that these 2 characters have gone through! I was disappointed. They could have hit it out of the park with wonderful dialogue about life, loss, love, family, and all that’s been learned along the way! You dropped the ball this time GH!

• Amy says:

Amen, Phyllis. My feelings for years about the catering to the actors instead of the characters & storyline that indeed, single-handedly put GH on the map and saved it from extinction in the 70’s. And yes, finally on that last day…you said it all in your last two sentences, about what might have, SHOULD have, been. It was the FINAL disappointment in many years of GH disappointing me about their most beloved storyline for me, Luke & Laura (no matter HOW the actors felt about it!!), from my most beloved soap (I started watching with my grandmother when I was only 6!) I hung in there for nostalgia, for the potential of a soap that was once the greatest of all soaps…but in the past decade it’s really been sad to watch it’s dismantling and destruction. And all these former ABC cancelled soap actors taking over, over GH’s legacy characters?? ughhhh. Soaps are at their very essence “serial dramas”, following the long legacies of characters and their families. Though it may be too late for LnL legacy and others, my wish is that GH somehow resurrects itself before fading into oblivion one day…rather than go out with a whimper. Where is the next Gloria Monty and Claire Labine? (I mean if they can resurrect Jake & Frank Smith and countless other dead souls, maybe they can resurrect everything else they’ve killed over the years on GH.)

47. sondra says:

Could have used more Tony and less Maura West (Denise).

48. anne says:

unless there is something interesting in Laura’s letter… the Luke Exit was a complete failure in my opinion, it was totally EMPTY……… Even the letter may not help Luke’s exit….How sad for all the years he put into the character….. GH writers are better than that, i thought….

• aph1976 says:

Well Genie Francis will be off screen for a month or so because she’ll return sometime in September.So maybe whatever Luke wrote to her in that letter sends her off on a mission of sorts.

49. The only reason I didn’t give the show a F.was because Tony Geary and Genie Francis were good. Tony has been on General hospital 37 years and this is the farewell he gets . No flash backs nothing. General Hospital was too worried about showing, the Ava/Julian, Madeline, Nina, Rick story line to care about Tony Geary’s farewell.
    I am so mad I done watching General Hospital.

50. Rita Jo says:

Total waste not having a LnL reunion. What was even the POINT of having her back.