The Bachelorette Finale

The Bachelorette Season Finale Recap: Which Suitor Did Kaitlyn Choose?

If you watched the two-hour season finale of The Bachelorettethree hours, if you’re still glued to the TV for the requisite After the Final Rose trainwreck — you spent 120 minutes watching Kaitlyn Bristowe weep her way through a decision between Shawn Booth and Nick Viall.

If you’re reading this recap, however, you don’t want to wait any longer to find out which suitor received Kaitlyn’s final rose. (Not intended as a euphemism, but hey, it works!)

So let’s get the big news out of the way: Kaitlyn ultimately chose Shawn as the man with whom she wanted to spend the rest of her 15 minutes of fame life, promptly accepting the wedding proposal that came after she made her decision.

Of course, to anyone who read this story in June — which suggested that Kaitlyn revealed Shawn as the winner via Snapchat photos — his victory comes as no surprise. But even with this season’s finale spoiled by the bachelorette herself, Monday’s episode wasn’t without its highlights. Let’s recap:

MEET THE PARENTS | Somehow, despite this particular event happening weeks ago, Kaitlyn’s intimate evening with Nick becomes the hottest of conversation topics as her family prepares to meet both Nick and Shawn. “We had some time off-camera, and… things happened,” Kaitlyn sheepishly tells her freakin’ parents, leading Kaitlyn’s mom to become skeptical of her daughter’s relationship with Nick, which may be purely physical. But then Nick bursts into tears while telling Kaitlyn’s mom about his love for Kaitlyn, which not only proves that he’s emotionally complex, but that his crying makes me deeply uncomfortable.

The Bachelorette NickLater, Mama Bristowe brings up Kaitlyn’s hotel rendezvous to Shawn, who — somewhat shockingly — handles the conversation like a champ. (He doesn’t even flinch when she uses Nick’s actual name. Gold star!) And although Kaitlyn’s sister declares that she’s firmly on Team Shawn, based on the way Kaitlyn acts when she’s with him, it’s ultimately too close to call if Kaitlyn’s family prefers one guy over the other.

THE FINAL COUNTDOWN | Nick spends his final date making out with Kaitlyn on a boat, then later, making out with her on his couch. Then he tells her, “I got you something. It’s in my bedroom,” which is a road I can’t help but feel we’ve been down before. (The gift — a framed photo of Nick and Kaitlyn, next to a handwritten poem from Nick — is actually pretty cute, even if he did misspell “energy.”)

Shawn’s final date with Kaitlyn is considerably more awkward. The two of them essentially just sit together on a bench, going back and forth between, “Tell me what’s on your mind!” and “No, you tell me what’s on your mind!” Fortunately, they pull it together later that evening, and Shawn gives Kaitlyn his own present: a jar full of junk! JK, this gift — a memory jar, filled with mementos from their past few months together — is also very sweet.

THE MOMENT OF TRUTH | But let’s fast-forward through Kaitlyn’s inner conflict, the engagement-ring-selection process and all that B-roll of Shawn’s shirtless torso. It’s finally time for Kaitlyn’s Big Decision, and Nick is up first to hear who she’s picked. (In short: not him.)

The Bachelorette Shawn WinsKaitlyn’s rejection of Nick is honestly pretty brutal. After delivering a heartfelt speech about his love for Kaitlyn, Nick pulls out that coveted Neil Lane jewelry box… only to have Kaitlyn stop him before he can open it. (Say what you will about Nick, but watching him realize Kaitlyn hadn’t chosen him was a pretty gut-wrenching moment, no?) And although Kaitlyn insists that she does love Nick, despite her heart being with someone else, Nick has a few honest words for her: “You don’t love me.” [mic drop]

While Nick pouts in the backseat of a limo — he even took off Kaitlyn’s promise ring! — Shawn pulls up, and his speech to Kaitlyn is not interrupted by a break-up. “I am completely yours, and I will always be faithful to you,” Kaitlyn responds to Shawn’s profession of love. “And I have been waiting so long to tell you how I feel, because I love you with all of my heart, like I’ve never loved anybody before. And I can’t wait to make a lifetime of memories with you, and only you, because you are the one and always will be.”

He proposes! She says yes! There’s sweeping music, a final rose and they drive off into the night! …Now how long until the split makes tabloid covers?

OK, your turn. Was Shawn the right choice for Kaitlyn? Were you, like me, inexplicably rooting for Nick? Did you have any emotional investment in the outcome whatsoever? Cast your vote in our poll below, then hit the comments with your thoughts on the finale!

1. rowenamck says:

After the Snapchat photo leak, was anyone really surprised by this result?

2. Barb says:

I think her and Shawn will split , he is to obsess with her. She did not look at Shawn like she look at Nick

3. Timmah says:

Shawn has given hope to stalkers everywhere.

• m3rcnate says:

Remember editing…they can take you talking about being jealous and insecure for 10 minutes and make that your “through line” for multiple episodes, when in reality 90% of the time you are a totally confident, happy guy with a ton of chemistry with Kaitlyn.
      Just saying…if you think you got a good idea of who these people really are as human beings from a reality show (let alone this reality show) then you are dead wrong.

• Linda Bruce says:

Saw interveiw with Kaitlyn and Shawn ,Really how immature they both act and lost all respect for her. She is mean and ugly regarding Nick so I guess she picked the right guy because I thought he was creepy,scary stalker dude but I guess they are a good match because they both act like teenagers and really Shawn the hair makes you look like Popeye . They are both losers.

4. Brenda says:

You’re right Barb and she really led Nick on. I hope he finds love sometime in his life. He is so sweet and charming!

5. gts says:

I didn’t watch the finale, or any of this season or Andi’s, so all I know about Nick is that he’s a slut-shaming ass. But how does one misspell energy? How did he spell it? What possible variation is there? How has a grown adult not learning how to spell energy?

6. Ginger Snap says:

Since Kaitlyn let Shawn know he’s the one weeks ago, everything about this season was a waste.

7. Nikki says:

Shawn was beyond arrogant. I didn’t watch much of this show but when he went to Nicks room to call him out in Scotland I was irritated for Nick what an a** hole thing to do. Feels this shows alot bout her character.

8. Tennisnsun says:

How about that hot house on the cliff above Malibu? Wonder if K parents really live there? She should just stay there for a life of luxury with them. I doubt that Shawn the fitness guy can provide anything remotely resembling that. For the first time I did feel bad for Nick, but what goes around comes around and his actions on two shows were reprehensible. He dearly loved to brag about his conquests. Not cool.

• BrittBrat says:

The house was rented. There was an article about it yesterday saying you can rent it for $3700 a day. Remember she’s from Canada.

• Tennisnsun says:

Thanks for the update. I knew they were from Canada but I live in Florida and we have tons of Canadian snow birds that buy here.

• Linda Bruce says:

Yep he has and she seems to like it now but bet she won’t when they breakup. Stay tune for more Kaitlyn drama.

9. Abe Froman says:

And in 6 months they’ll be broken up, just like almost every other couple from this waste-of-time franchise.

10. Linda Bruce says:

Shawn is not attractive at all and she seems to have low self esteem or she is very immature but he is scary stalker and she just giggles and thinks he is the man. I wonder how they will make a living,they could sell the ring cause last I checked personal trainers are usually guys that spend all their time at the gym admiring themselves or the woman working out.

11. Barbara says:

They deserve each other. Worst bachlorette ever. She has no morals. Not good for girls to watch.

• Audea says:

I agree worst ever and im ashamed to say she;s from my country .and Mommy and Daddy are proud of their daughter Go Figure

12. tom tom says:

☆ PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP 2016 ☆

13. Cynthia says:

I think she choose shun for publicity,that girl is in love with nick

14. Jazz says:

How could she! She is so gonna regret taking that guy! His family is so arrogant and she will have to pretend to be Mrs perfect! Wot a shame!

15. lynnet says:

Kaitlyn doesn’t seem to know who she loves.