Strain Recap Vaun Dies

The Strain Recap: Lights Out

This week on FX’s The Strain, Setrakian revealed a squicky secret, Gus joined Vaun’s team on an ambitious mission, Palmer got a rockin’ bodyguard and young Zack somehow and for some reason became even more unlikeable.

So although last week left off with Kelly tasking her “feelers” with finding her son, we got none of that storyline this week. Zack however was determined to find his mom, but he got nabbed by his dad in the course of hopping a bus to Queens. Eph attempted to educate his son on the work he and Nora were doing, by experimenting on the McGreeveys, but Zack’s only response was to act out and turn the lab into a disaster scene. Eph’s answer to that was to give the kid a close-up look at Mr. McGreevey, to make clear exactly what they are dealing with — and to drive home the point that this is what his mother now is.

Speaking of test tubes and what not: Setrakian lopped the head off a strigoi while out and about, then made a point to collect some of his vic’s worm-infested innards. We saw the professor boil and tinker with the worms he had corralled, ultimately dropping some sort of liquid into his eye. Nora later found Setrakian on the floor, nearly dead and his eyes bleeding, after which he confided that his 94-year-old (!) self consumes the worms, via a solution, as a means to stay spry. He is resolved to “win or die” and not “fade away” as an old man.

Following a run-in with some cops, during which he used his proboscis to summon a pack of pals to assist, Bolivar was assigned as Palmer’s bodyguard, given the old man’s too-close-for-comfort encounter with Setrakian after the presser. Palmer unsuccessfully rebuffed Eichorst’s insistence on extra protection — and did his best to insulate Coco from the super-dark reality about what he is up to, doing work that “good men” can’t do — but an attack on the penthouse by Gus, Vaun and some Sun Hunters forced some truths into the light. After sequestering themselves in a panic room, Palmer triggered an array of UV lights that flooded the outside room with vamp-frying beams. One by one, Vaun and his men succumbed to the lights, ultimately toppling into a pit as a trap door in the floor opened up. Gus offered to pull Vaun to safety, but the team leader declared himself a lost cause and urged Gus to escape.

Guys, if Vaun and his really, really cool voice are gone, I’ll be very sad.

Elsewhere in the episode:

* After the Zack attack, Eph and Nora discovered they had found the right balance of pathogen, and were ready to send Mr. McGreevey outside, to hopefully infect other strigoi.

* Having spied a “LOST” flyer that was looking for her lover Nikki, Dutch confronted Nikki’s mother, who we learned greatly disapproved of her daughter hooking up with the “vampire” who “sucked all the good” out of her.

* Following a ceremony in which she declared Staten Island “plague-free” — and at which she revealed a display of decapped strigoi, meant to send a message — Councilwoman Feraldo was charged by the mayor with working her same magic on Manhattan and the other boroughs.

* Palmer’s former righthand man, Fitzwilliam, resurfaced in Staten Island, where he reunited with his brother.

What did you think of this week’s episode, “Fort Defiance”?

1. Jack Huahua says:

Kill Daryl. We riot.

2. Pheadra says:

Why kill the vampire squad?? Not fair!

3. AngelWasHere says:

It was ok. I hope Zack finds his mom *winks* and Dutch leaves the group or better yet the storyline permanently to find her lover. Ugh those two. Zach is the worst tho. I recall myself calling him a little a-hole when Eph found him on the bus. Does he not understand that a vampire apocalypse is going on? Does anyone do?
    I’m finding the vampire squard/sun hunters to be disappointing. Their makeup/looks don’t help my lack of enthusiasm for them.

4. Tom Absolon says:

The Strain has a lot to learn from a great show like the Walking Dead. First, this show needs to pick up the pace of the show. Second, let’s hope our Vampire hunting crew picks up some more recruits along the way. Third, new Zack is a pain in the ass more ways than one. Lastly, it seems like the show is trying to reach for more by adding off the wall side plots…. I. E. Setraikian and the worms, bringing the rockstar back from last year, Dutch pinning over her Ex- Lover, and now getting all the helpful Vampires killed off by the UV lights and leaving Gus to flee. Our Team needs Gus and Mr. Palmers former Bodyguard slash Assistant. This show needs some tweaking for the better!

• Ian says:

Yeah, I definitely agree that most of these side stories arent great. The show is at its best when theyre exploring Setrakian’s history or building the mythology or progressing the main plot. Tonight’s episode was mostly mind-numbingly meandering. Zack and Dutch need to die (horribly would be most preferred), and I’m sad to see Vaun go. He seemed to useful a character to have lost already.

5. william hunter says:

This show is really losing my interest. There are too many flaws in logic to overlook. When everyone is aware of what is happening in the city, why is anyone on the streets at night. Why are city buses and transportation running. Is it for the vampires who enjoy public transportation? And why aren’t the police on high alert when approaching anyone out at night? Also the attempted kidnapping of Palmer didn’t seem to be very well thought through. They didn’t anticipate security cameras? Really?

• Mike B. says:

@police: I’m guessing, they haven’t met any self-aware vampires? if they only know them as the killing, grunting pale strigoi, they wouldn’t suspect a man, who seems to respond to their questions and talks, to be one of them?
      to people being on the street: I’d say, there are always idiots, who think that somethin like this won’t happen to them…and sometimes you just can’t stay inside for the whole night (emergencies…), but yeah, maybe there are too many people running around at night, Idk.
      I totally agree with the kidnapping/killing plan. That was a bad plan and poorly executed too.

6. Julia says:

I have officially quit the show after last night. I gave it a chance this season, but I have completely lost interest with the new storylines.

7. Walkie says:

Get rid of the kid. I never understand why a show geared towards adults feels the need to put an annoying kid in the mix. It’s not interesting.

8. Whatchusay? says:

I can’t stand Zach, either. How dumb can ge be to not understand that his mama is gone & what’s left of her is a blood sucking monster? I never liked Dutch since she first appeared, I don’t understand how she’s interested in sex when she could be sucked dry by a vampire at any moment.

The old man, Fet and Gus are the best characters & the only people I’m interested in. And I liked the vampire hunting vampires. What will Gus do without them, since we’re still waiting for him to neet Ephram’s group? What about the 3 old vampires, I don’t see Gus kidnapping humans to feed to them, because they’ll tear him to shreds if he slips up.

I enjoy the show but it does need to move along instead of wasting time on that ridiculous child & Dutch mooning over her old squeeze. The boy can’t due because that’d be cruel but Dutch won’t be missed. And has she yet fixed the Internet?

9. EveClayton says:

I agree if Vaun goes.. It will be sad. Hes funny and I love his voice. They need to keep him. I don’t think they will tho