Aquarius Ratings

Ratings: Aquarius, Hannibal Tie Lows; Fox's UFC Fight Night Tops Saturday

NBC’s already renewed Aquarius this week drew 1.2 million total viewers and a 0.2 demo rating, placing a distant third in its time slot behind Scorpion and BattleBots repeats and matching the season lows set with its Saturday debut.

Hannibal (1 mil/0.3) similarly matched last week’s series lows, which had been nudged down in the finals.

All ratings here are courtesy of the fine folks at TVByTheNumbers, as my email is down and I’ve got places to be!

ABC’s Boston EMS debuted to 3 mil and a 0.7, eking out a demo win in the 10 o’clock time slot.

Fox’s UFC Fight Night coverage (2.3 mil/0.9) led the night in the demo, while CBS’ 48 Hours rerun (4.1 mil/0.6) drew the largest audience.

1. CJ says:

It’s a shame to see Aquarius drop so low, and at this point I wouldn’t be shocked to see NBC renege on its renewal. It’s hard to say for sure without knowing how many people binge-watched it and what their expectations for it were overall, but these Saturday night numbers are bad, bad, bad.

• The Beach says:

I kinda like Aquarius. It’s better than a lot that’s on and certainly should beat re-runs of Scorpion and Battlebots but moving a show to Sat. is never a good omen. I think the only reason it got renewed is because it’s a Duchovny vehicle.

• CJ says:

I like it as well. I watched all of it On Demand when the whole thing was available. It’s not perfect, but I agree, it is better than a lot else that is on the networks during the summer. I’m hoping they stick to their renewal decision, but I won’t be surprised if it ends up being online only, or if they back out of a second season entirely.

2. SW says:

It makes me so sad to see such a beautiful, brilliant show like Hannibal get such low ratings. I had a little bit of hope that they’d gain some viewers with the Red Dragon arc beginning, but I should have known better.

• The Beach says:

I’m one of those viewers who Hannibal lost this season by choosing arty over story and action. But now, in the last few episodes, it seems much more like the old Hannibal that I loved. Too little, too late?

• diane says:

Exactly how I feel. After watching the start of the Red Dragon, I was curious how they would have done the Silence of the Lambs arc (if they could get the rights to the characters).

3. Boiler says:

No account for taste. UFC???

4. Wendy Testaburger says:

I watched BBC America on Saturday night: I think they put some of their best shows on Saturday: I wonder how many other people were glued to the great finale of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell!

5. MP says:

I don’t get the shock/concern over Aquarius’s ratings. The entire season was made available for streaming/on demand/binge watching the day it premiered. Did anyone report on this type of viewing activity?

Those that liked the show up front went on to blow through all of the episodes before NBC aired them. That would explain the low broadcast ratings over these final episodes.

• herman1959 says:

I’m also wondering about how many people watched via stream/on demand. NBC must have some reason to have renewed the show, maybe this is it.

6. justsomeguy says:

Hannibal waited too long to actually be the TV show it was for 2 straight seasons. The first 5 episodes of this season were terrible, and the amount of people that have abandoned the show proves a lot of people felt that way. It’s too bad, because I thought the first two seasons were absolutely fantastic, maybe some of the best work I’ve seen on TV ever .. and then Season 3 happened.

• Ed says:

To be fair, it lost of those viewers before the episodes you referenced aired. The first episode of S3 was not well viewed at all. It hasn’t really lost that many viewers during the season — it started the season down big time. To be fair, though, while the opening episodes were very slow, by episode 4 things kicked in and all the things planted in the earlier episodes came to a head in a very satisfying way.

7. JEF says:

They gave Aquarius a Saturday nite death spot which is too bad. I really like it. Glad it’s been renewed already.

8. dj says:

most people finished aquarius weeks ago

9. I stopped watching Aquarius weeks ago….for me it didn’t live up to the hype and I like David Duchovny and the premise but quite frankly for me it just sucked so am not surprised by these lows. It truly doesn’t compare to some of the other shows that are out there for example Secrets & Lies.

10. tayslick says:

To my girl Claire Holt Aquarius is not you. I don’t like the topic of the show but I only watched to see Caire and was disappointed. Her air time was jacked and the character she play is not it. You left New Orleans for the minimum you might want to rethink.

• Matt says:

She went there because it’s NBC. She hopes it’s going to lead into different roles. Didn’t her character go undercover and give one of the dirtbags a bj and her fellow officers pretty much commended her for it? She’s desperate.