Cancelled TV Shows

Cancelled Too Soon: Deadwood, Smash, My So-Called Life, Selfie, Firefly and 25 Other Shows We'll Always Miss

As another Fall TV season nears and DVRs across the country rev up to capture favorite returning shows, it is only proper that we pause to reflect: “But what of those left behind?”

Because there are plenty of fallen series that won’t be seizing any more storage space. In fact, we’re still mourning — and always shall be — some faves that have been off the air for years.

In this “Cancelled Too Soon” photo gallery, Team TVLine looks back on 30 cancelled series that had our full attention during their short lifespans. As you might imagine, our list features several Bryan Fuller-created series, as well as short-lived gems like Selfie and My So-Called Life. And don’t worry: our guilty pleasures are certainly in the mix. (Don’t hold Michael Ausiello’s love for The Brady Brides against him, OK?)

Browse through the gallery below (or click here for direct access) to see the cancelled TV series we miss most, then hit the comments with your own picks.

1. AddieM says:

There was no where to go for Smash after that dreadful second season, glad it was cancelled..everything about that season was terrible…It was the most disappointing sophomore season to date!

• Eran says:

Absolutely agreed. So many of these shows fell victim to sophomore slumps and creative nosedives…Witches of East End being the freshest example. Was upset to see it go but not in the least bit surprised.

• Andy Swift says:

Aside from the Poe business, I loved WOEE’s second season. I’ll admit it threw a lot at us at once, but most of it worked, I thought.

Guess it’s kind of a moot point now. :-/

2. Haley N. says:

“Gifted Man” was getting so good.

3. Matt C. says:

I really wish there had been another season of Ringer. By the end of season 1, the show had fully embraced its crazy, over-the-top soapiness, and it had turned into my favorite show at the time (mostly because all of my other shows had really gone downhill that season, but still!) To this day, I’m still pissed that we never got to see a confrontation between the twins once Siobhan realized that her sister was alive and manipulating her the entire time. I hope SMG can someday find another TV project that actually lasts more than one season. I would LOVE to see her in a future season of Scream Queens…that show would be perfect for her!

4. Still miss American Gothic and still pissed about The Glades! Glad to see The Kindred & Profit on the list.

5. Kristyn says:

You tagged Pushing Daisies, but it didn’t make the list??

6. Mary says:

Brady Brides is in this list and Pushing Daisies isn’t? Come on!

7. Julio says:

Thanks for the reminder of About a Boy, thak you SO MUCH!!!

8. Jane says:

Enlisted, Forever, Marry Me, Bent, Enlisted, Benched.

9. Drew says:

I agree with a lot of these… Better Off Ted, The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls and a bunch more. As much as I love Firefly though, I have come to the conclusion that it is better off left as a short glimpse of perfection. Serenity failed to capture the greatness of the series, proving toe that the show would have eventually been ruined. I was more brilliance, but doubt that it would have happened. And do we want to see Firefly as a show that died during a sophomore slump?

• Drew says:

Oh. Shows that weren’t on the list… Pushing Daisies (!!!), VR.5, Strange Luck, Freakylinks… Maybe Almost Human.
      I do wish that Netflix or Amazon would pick up the unaired episodes of Lone Star and maybe produce a miniseries to play out the story.

• MelindaB says:

Yes, I was enjoying Almost Human. Karl Urban was so wonderfully acerbic, and I wanted to know what was on the other side of the wall.

• Maryann says:

Definitely Almost Human! I loved the leads, and their interactions with each other, and I really wanted to see what was behind that wall. And More of Karl Urban’s character’s backstory.

• Mary says:

I loved Strange Luck. John Doe is another show that didn’t last long enough.

10. JT says:

I think you’re forgetting the most important, Flashforward. I will forever miss that show!

11. DramaMomma says:

How I loved Cupid! It makes me happy someone else remembers that great show! It was the first show I ever watched that I was really upset about it being cancelled. After, Forever, which will sting always, it is the one that hurts the most.

Trophy Wife was another great show. It was perfect partner for Modern Family

One that was left out Eli Stone. It was original in every way.

• Georgia Madman says:

I LOVED Cupid, too, and keep hoping it’ll show up on DVD. Just like I’d like to see Forever on DVD. And the third season of Once and Again…

• Eran says:

My older sister and I lived for Cupid! And to this day, Viva el Amor is my favourite Pretenders album :) “I’m only human on the inside…”

• Kathryn says:

9 year old me loved Cupid. (I definitely did not understand the subtext that Jeremy Piven’s character might be insane though.) I completely forgot about it until now. Takes me back.

12. LADY_in_MD says:

So many on this list that I loved
    Witches of east end (still not over this one!)
    My so called life
    Lonestar
    Trophy wife
    Dirt
    Selfie
    I thought I was the only person who liked la complex lol

I will add a few more
    Revolution (even though the 2nd season was terrible)
    Go On (that crazy group was hilarious!)
    Fox had a show on last summer called gang related it was really good but not good enough I guess

• Carla Krae says:

Loved Go On!!

• Ally Oop says:

I would put Revolution on my list too but yes, Season 2’s finale was so horrrible with those stupid nanites that the show was permanently ruined. Most people who liked that show liked it because of its dystopic elements and its great ensemble of multi-layered characters but the writers went all idiotic with that nanite storyline. I felt the first one and a half seasons of the show were stellar and it deserves a spot on the list.

13. Lori says:

Farscape needs to be on this list. Forever too. :)

• Lizo says:

Farscape wasn’t cancelled too early. 4 seasons and a movie isn’t shabby at all and it ended logically.

• kajar says:

I disagree. Farscape still had a lot of story left to tell. And the ONLY reason there was a mini series wrap-up at all was because of the fan outcry (and campaigning) at its premature cancellation. Just because fans were able to receive a modicum of closure a year after the fact does not make its cancellation any less heartbreaking. So yeah, I agree with Lori. Farscape deserves to be on this list.

14. Bartimeus says:

I’d add Invasion, American Gothic, Carnivale, Eastwick, The Secret Circle, Freakylinks, The Others, Miracles and Veritas :The Quest, but I agree with pretty much the whole list.

• Drew says:

Carnivale, yes! When the guy from the network said that the show was cancelled because he felt that it had run its course, I almost burst into laughter. What part of that finale seemed like resolution?

• Andy Swift says:

I thought about Secret Circle, but ended up going with Witches of East End instead. Blame me!!

15. Ruth says:

I still miss Witches of East End. Couldn’t believe the network cancelled it. Also miss the Crazy Ones. Maybe Robin Williams would still be alive if CBS would have done the right thing and not cancelled it.

16. Kate says:

Glad you mentioned Dirty Sexy Money. It was really getting good when they yanked it. I would add Enlisted and Everwood.

17. Dragonfly says:

WTH! Where is Forever? I would add Defying Gravity, but agree with Witches, Hell yes to Firefly…Eastwick and The Secret Circle, Terminator:SCC was great, cannot believe they cancel those

18. AddieM says:

Yes to Selfie, Dirt, Dirty sexy money, Better off Ted
    I must admit never watched Trophy Wife because the name and the series trailer put me off.

19. Meghan says:

Traveler. I didn’t get a chance to watch it when it originally aired, but found it online. Matt Bomer and Aaron Stanford. It would have been interesting to see where they went with it.

• Katherine215 says:

I loved this show! I was so bummed when it didn’t come back.

• Stephen S. says:

That was a great show. Neal McDonough was in it too. And talk about McDonough, another great show of his isn’t on this list and that’s Boomtown.

20. craig says:

I loved WONDERFALLS and SELFIE. It’s rare to find a charming romantic comedy on television. CATASTROPHE is proving they’re still able to create them.

21. Holly says:

Any cancelled too soon list that does not include Go On, but especially Pushing Daisies is not complete in my book.

I still talk about the pilot of Go On, I loved the March Sadness bit and Pushing Daisies was just utterly amazing!

22. Steven says:

Men In Trees!
    Veronica Mars
    Popular
    Roswell
    Jack & Jill
    Drive
    Pushing Daisies
    Good Morning Miami (I know it was terrible but I loved it)
    Time of Your Life
    Norm

23. N says:

Forever!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Steven says:

And Melrose Place 2.0

25. Ken says:

I love that most of my favorite cancelled shows made the list (Happy Endings, Selfie, Trophy Wife, Dirt) but one that is missing is the incredible The Riches. I still wish they’d make that long promised wrap up movie.

26. lkh says:

The Glades for sure, and of course, Firefly but what about Veronica Mars and maybe Life and perhaps Covert Affairs-but that may have been a blessing.

• Kate says:

Life and VM both were great!

• Doug Henning says:

The producers screwed up Covert Affairs and made it too tough to watch for the casual viewer because of the highly serialized stories.. Thus ratings dropped off..

• B says:

There are still pieces of the last couple seasons that I don’t think make sense at all, even on re-watch, and I wasn’t a casual viewer. It certainly didn’t help.

• B says:

I loved both Veronica Mars and Life. At least VM doesn’t sting as much now that we got our movie. I’m still pissed about Covert Affairs, but I also am not sure they could have fixed it. I watched the early seasons without my husband, and then he saw the later seasons with me but never liked the show. We were watching season one recently, and he told me he would have liked the show if it were remotely like the first season by the end.

27. Maria says:

Forever
    Almost Human

28. SusieQ says:

I’ll never get over Firefly. Yeah Serenity was nice but I wanted YEARS with Mal and the crew!

Also I want to mention I’m still way upset with Fox for another cancellation- Almost Human. It was an amazing show and it matched well with Sleepy Hallow.

I guess really I should not have been surprised Almost Human didn’t survive. It was on FOX after all!!
    Fox network the only network that renewed Glee for six seasons but cancelled a really good show!
    Sorry I know I’m bitter can’t help it!

29. Mandie says:

Out of those thirty shows, I do agree with “Dirty Sexy Money” and “Trophy Wife” [those were the only two I watched out of the list]. My caveat, however, is that you failed to include “Forever”. Ioan Gruffudd! Judd Hirsch! Really?

30. Alyse says:

I hate that Witches of East End got cancelled! Especially with all of the cliffhangers we were left with. Another show that got cancelled too soon was The Secret Circle on the Cw.

31. Boiler says:

30 shows here and only 2 in my opinion should be in here. Really?? This is all you got

32. brandydanforth81 says:

Bunheads,Smash,Witches of East End from this list

33. Richard D says:

Wasteland. Veronica Mars. Angel

• Georgia Madman says:

We got five seasons of Angel so we cant complain too much. But the fifth season really rocked so I’d have liked to see what season six looked like.

34. phredd! says:

I am still mourning “No Ordinary Family.” I know a lot of people got impatient with wanting to see more action and heriocs sooner than later, but I actually liked how they took their time telling the story of how the family adjusted to their new-found super powers. And the season/series ending cliffhanger seemed to set up what could have been an action packed season 2.

• MelindaB says:

Me, too. Dang. I’m being reminded of shows that I forgot and am feeling even more annoyed by early cancellations.

35. Vic says:

Where’s Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23? That show was serious comedy gold. Got cancelled way too quick despite its ratings in my opinion. Hands down one of the best comedy shows on network television ever.

36. I was ok until you mentioned Terriers. That one still hurts so much.

I’d also add Tru Calling with Eliza Dushku.

37. Lizo says:

I don’t think I’ll ever get over Almost Human, Moonlight, Hellcats, Vegas, and Forever. Hell, I still miss that Blade TV show from a decade ago.

38. Chris says:

I would’ve added “Constantine” to that list! It was a very cool and edgy show with the excellent Matt Ryan, playing the perfectly casted John Constantine and a great supporting cast!

39. BCsDave says:

Threshold. Completely forgot about that one. Kinda like Fringe in a way. Got cancelled so soon I couldnt finish the season and at the time no alternatives like digital media. Never been on any digital service ive found either. Whats the hate for the show with so many name actors?

• Wordsmith says:

Saddest part about Threshold’s cancellation is that they totally had a long-term plan mapped out.
      Fun fact: the plan even included the bold notion of potentially changing the title of the show in later seasons as the aliens took over. Season two would have been Foothold and season three was going to be Stranglehold.

• Eran says:

It’s been what now, 11 years and I still remember the Threshold pilot as being one of the best television pilots I have *ever* watched. I still remember the ice trees sequence so vividly. It was so unfortunate though how it fell into almost a weekly format afterwards and totally neglected the arc.
      Another sad though unsurprising cancellation.

40. BCsDave says:

Wish The Bridge lasted a ssn or two more. Demian Bichir should of got nominated for multiple awards he was so good in S2. If Diane Kruger’s supporting cast got as corrupted as her in S2 we might of had some longevity,

41. Bman says:

One I always felt was cancelled to soon was Ed.

42. mika says:

I hate when people say that My So Called Life was cancelled to soon. ABC didn’t cancel it, Clare Danes refused to come back. They obviously could not do the show without her. ABC was gracious enough not to out her and ruin a young girl’s career.

43. Katherine215 says:

Pushing Daisies, Forever, Constantine, Jack and Jill, Jack and Bobby, Life, Traveler, The Pretender, Due South, Revolution, Alphas. God this is depressing me!

44. Terry says:

Forever
    Jack and Bobby
    Pushing Daisies

• Daphne says:

Yes, Jack & Bobby!!! Loved that show. I’m still not over the WB/CW not giving it more of a chance. It was sooooo good!

45. NDfan says:

I have never gotten over Pushing Daisies…. I agree with many of the others but I’ll also add GCB.

46. Luc says:

Surprised no one mentioned Traveler. Was i the only one that find the show awesome?

• Luc says:

Ups, few post above! :D

• Phredd! says:

Yes. Traveler was awesome! That’s my first recollection of seeing Viola Davis on tv. She was an FBI agent and I recall not ever seeing anyone like her on tv before. That was a great show. Well ahead of its time….

47. Andrea says:

Forever
    Dirty Sexy Money
    Ringer
    Smash
    Battle Creek

48. C says:

Pushing Daisies, Moonlight, and Reaper had so much potential. Poor victims of the writer’s strike.

• MelindaB says:

Moonlight and Reaper, yes! Constantine, Alcatraz, and Jericho.

• Georgia Madman says:

Forgot Moonlight! At least I have it on DVD so I can rewatch it. Hopefully Constantine will be out on DVD. I miss John and Zed. Maybe John will show up on Flash, Arrow or Legends.

49. Richard D says:

Does anyone remember the Kevin Williamson show Wasteland? I had a video of the three episodes that aired and I LOVED it. The remaining 10 episodes aired years later but I was out of the country….so sad.

• Daphne says:

I remember it and loooooved it! I was able to watch the whole series in the end, but I wanted more (I still do)!