Rizzoli & Isles Cancelled

Rizzoli & Isles Renewed for Shortened Season 7 at TNT

Rizzoli & Isles are staying chained to each other.

TNT has renewed the cop drama for Season 7, to air in summer 2016, the network announced Thursday.

The upcoming run will consist of 13 hours, the smallest episode order since its 10-episode freshman season.

Rizzoli opened its current run in June with 4.4 million viewers and a 0.7 demo rating, and frequently leads basic cable in total viewership. At last tally, it pulled 4.2 mil and a 0.6. With On Demand, digital and mobile views factored in, the procedural is averaging 11.1 million viewers weekly.

1. sounds like it might be heading into tv heaven after that. Too bad. One of the best shows on TV, fall or summer

• Dean says:

start prepping for the cancellation wake.

• wjm980 says:

At what point do people not whine about a show going off. 10 seasons? 20?

• We stop whining when a show has worn out its welcome and gets cancelled, not when it’s one of the best shows on TV and appears to be headed out to pasture. If you don’t like the show, no need to read the comments

• Sha says:

You are so right about it being one of the best shows on TV and it’s a shame that it may be on it’s way out. Maybe Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexander want to try something different; at least, I hope that is the reason because canceling this show would be a huge mistake!

• WayneAdneyC says:

Sasha Alexander usually doesn’t like to stay on a show this long. it’s odd for her to be going into a seventh season with Rizzo&Isles. I think maybe this is a way to cool the heels and slide it on home hopefully in an 8th season to properly wrap up some story lines and have a better twist of a cliffhanger series finale for maybe a future reunion special. There’s no way they can wrapped this up in season 7 not enough episodes unless they last minute order 3-5 more to close it out…it’s usually what TV stations will do.

BTW, my favorite shows currently are: Rizzo&Isles, Bones, The Big Bang Theory, Haven, Major Crimes, NCIS, Pretty Little Liars, Mr. and Mrs. Murder & A Death In paradise (BBC).

• Ldb says:

Yes. It’s still a good, funny, and smart show, and with all the crap reality shows on, yes we get upset when a Decent show goes off the air.

• Jeff says:

USA network reduced Royal Pains 3 seasons ago from 16 to 13 and this year reduced to 8 episodes and still renewed for another 8 episodes next year by reducing it can expand their program slate but until it’s announced to be cancelled there is still hope for it to be renewed for a 8th season.

• L Smith says:

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw the ‘for shortened season 7’. What is it about really good shows the networks have trouble with?
      They don’t seem to comprehend the fact the reason they are loosing viewers is because of the lack of quality programing.

2. Bill says:

If ratings are so good, why the shortened season next year? TV Line should know the answer!!

• dragons3 says:

I agree, unless it’s a contract thing.

• Saabgirlatx says:

My guess is the actors want to do other projects such as Sasha Alexander on Shameless. Will miss this show!!!

• percysowner says:

IIR they replaced the head of programming at TNT last year. He canceled Perception, dropped the Major Crimes spinoff that was in the works and said that the network needed to go in a more “edgy” direction. He did renew both R&I and Major Crimes, but I figured that they were both in trouble because they aren’t “edgy” enough for them and the stars aren’t young adults, but are mature women (and older men in the case of MC).

I’m just hoping Major Crimes gets a final 13 episode season. The ratings for it are comparable to R&I and are better than a lot of shows on TNT, but not edgy and not “young”, even though they both pull good demos.

• johnhelvete says:

The decision by TNT to go darker, edgier, serialized and younger was made before they hired Kevin Reilly. it seems likely TNT hired Reilly to implement the changes that they wanted. I like Major Crimes and watched the Closer from day one, but I had zero interest in the MC spinoff. If you remove the expanded 18 episode 6th season, Rizzoli and Isles “norm” for a season is 15-16 episodes, I think posters are really going overboard declaring that this 13 episode renewal equals cancellation. Major Crimes appears to be a safe bet for renewal because there are indications that TNT will keep their highest rated shows.

• johnhelvete says:

Looks like I was wrong and season 5 had 18 episodes as well. Seasons 2 and 3, 15 episodes, season 4, 16 episodes.

• ellajwade says:

Why does everything have to be so “edgy”? Can’t we just watch some good TV without constant blood and guts? Major Crimes and R & I are both great shows. Leave them alone!

• percysowner says:

I completely agree, especially since their “edgy” shows Murder in the First and maybe Proof are doing badly in the ratings.

• Kvivik says:

I’ve stopped watching MITF. I could barely stand Kathleen Robertson’s character in the first series. It hasn’t gotten better.
            I haven’t looked at Proof, though I wanted to. Jennifer Beals is a great actress, but the premise just seems off to me and I believe in life after death and near death experiences.

• Amy says:

I don’t know how Proof is doing ratings-wise, but it’s a really interesting show. Although the premise is focused on 2 people who don’t believe in an afterlife, the episodes themselves are open minded.

• WayneAdneyC says:

That makes since if their other newer shows are ratings slumping and costing them money…it’s makes since to cut back on this show to combat money loss and return keep our minds from being over-saturated with a fan-favorite and eventual burn-out. Plus this show may season heavy as is and should coming to a demise albeit a “proper series-ender.” Whoever is running it is handling this excellent show great so far.

3. Why the shortened season? It is the BEST show TNT has, but nothing new for TNT it alway’s screw’s up take’s the best and leaves the worst.

4. Boiler says:

Yea TNT may be getting rid of their best show and replace it with more crap Reilly wants that have bombed so far

5. Eric7740 says:

What’s up TNT???!!! Why are you treating one of your top shows like crap???!!! Someone please explain this to me???? What’s next, the cancellation of Major Crimes and the Last Ship???!!!

6. Greg says:

It’s time Tony on NCIS takes his new relationship to the next level and she is involved more

7. Pamela says:

I’m thinking it’s the main cast not wanting to do as many episodes.

• Luli says:

I think one of the reasons Sasha Alexander signed to Rizzoli and Isles in the first place was because of the short seasons, and every year they have been adding more and more eps. So maybe this makes sense…

I just hope season 7 isn’t the last one….

8. johnhelvete says:

Posters are overreacting a bit with the 13 episode order equaling cancellation. 18 episodes is pretty close to network territory, and TNT might simply want to allocate the 5 episodes to a newer show. If they renew Major Crimes for 13 episodes as well, that would pay for an entire 10 episode of a new series, and it still keeps MC and Rizzoli on the air. I think with the lower ratings overall for cable, there are going to be very dramas (Pretty Little Liars) go beyond 16 episode seasons.

9. Mary S says:

@ Vlada Gelman: If “Rizzoli and Isles” has so many viewers, why is the new season being shortened? Is that the network’s way of cancelling it without actually cancelling it??

10. Luli says:

Is there a deeper meaning to the shortened season?? Or is just that, a shortened season…

11. Ron says:

I’ve watched the show off and on for several years. I’m a fan of Angie Harmon, but I can’t figure out how it has managed to stay on the air for so long. I think the show would be better if they wrote out the character of Angela Rizzoli. This character brings nothing to the show. Has anyone ever noticed that both the main characters are always together and both phones ring to let them know that there is a new case. Wouldn’t it be easier to just call one of them since they are together all the time?

12. katy says:

Must be costing too much money considering the ratings are still pretty good for a cable show.

13. David4 says:

Might not be getting cancelled. The show might just be expensive so to cut costs you cut episodes.

14. TinLV says:

I don’t want a short season… I want a full season every year with my favorite TV sleuths !.. I get that its probably not ‘edgy’ enough for TPTB, but its entertaining and a lot of fun.

15. Doris says:

This one of my favorite summer shows! Sound like S 7 is the last. Any word on the best summer show “Proof”? We love this show hope it gets renewed!

16. Jim J. says:

Shorter-than-usual episode orders: Never a good sign for a show’s future.

17. Rhonda Dossett says:

TNT has had wonderful dramas for the last ten years. I’m a big fan. So sorry to see it morphing into sports and reality shows. Shorter seasons of TNT dramas just mean I will be tuning into other, probably network shows.

18. bshaid says:

I really enjoy that show and glad it is coming back. 13 hours is better than none…

19. JuliaJ. says:

Most shows on cable have 5 to 7 seasons. It’s probably a cost issue and 13 episodes are better than none.

20. I don’t see anything ominous with the annoucement of a shortened season 7. The ratings are declining for sure, but they are still good. That’s probably why they chose to reduce the number of episode. But IMO if the ratings don’t go deeper in season 7, I don’t see why they wouldn’t be a season 8. Plus, a 13-episodes season gives Angie and Sasha plenty of time to work on other projects.

• Don J says:

Plus Sasha and Angie have worked on this show for going on 7 years now, I’m sure they don’t mind the cut back to their work schedule to spend time with their kids and family.

21. Kelley says:

Best Show on Cable TV – It would be a shame to cancel it – RI has a huge fan base and everyone is getting sick of reality tv shows – I know I am

22. Vickie says:

Love this show… but now missing it. Don’t have cable and this is the one show that I watched, that I can’t get on Hulu. Hopefully they will come over to the other side of “non-cable” access.

23. Nan says:

I don’t think it should even get a season 7…

• Mary S says:

Then by all means, don’t watch it! BUT, leave it alone for the millions of us who DO.
      There are many of us who really do not enjoy a number of the trashy, exploitative reality shows on the air, but, for the most part we do not start saying they should be removed…unless, of course, one of our favorite shows is being cancelled while the trash is renewed…

24. Don J says:

13 episodes is the typical order for most cable shows. I think we were lucky to get the expanded seasons that we did. Being that the show is heading into season 7, it’s obviously getting more expensive to make, so a budget cut isn’t all that surprising. Plus, Sasha and Angie have small children, so they probably don’t mind the cut back to their workload. I agree with an earlier comment that the money from the expanded seasons will probably be allocated to a newer show. Rizzoli and Isles is still one of the highest rated cable shows right now.

25. Liz says:

i’m glad i’ll get to see more episodes! hopefully the ratings will hold and they’ll bring it back for more after that. i know it was really hard on everyone with lee passed away, really shocked them all. i was definitely disappointed with they killed off susie a few weeks ago, but i guess that was to make room for the brit me?

26. Evan says:

I don’t think there should be any cancellation worries. Most Cable TV shows are usually 13 episode seasons to begin with. Odds are, TNT is just no longer doing the “split” seasons showing 13 now, 6 more a few more months later.

27. Jennifer says:

I really understand that a show can’t stay on forever but you rarely see people with such great chemistry on TV anymore. Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexander are so great together. They play off of one another and it’s great to see such great clean acting. I’ll continue to watch until there is no more Rizzoli & Isles.

28. Watching it 24/7 lovin the programme don’t let it go .

29. ORFILA says:

SEASON 7.

I LIKE.
    1. MORE FORENSIC INVESTIGATION PROCEDURE
    2. MORE DRAMA.
    3. MORE POLICE ACTION.

30. ORFILA says:

THIS SPECTACULAR SHOW.
    It can be dark and dramatic.

Still it has much potential.

31. Melissa says:

If 11 million people are watching, but they’re not watching live, networks and advertisers alike need to revisit the antiquated ratings system and find a progressive alternative for subjecting us to their products. That’s a lot of people watching and I hate to see so many awesome shows canceled because we’re still using the old Neilsen ratings system. I haven’t watched ANY show live in five years. Many people watch at their leisure via online or On Demand. Other platforms such as Netflix and Hulu are all about progress and it’s time the old system retires.

32. ggire says:

We just want to give our vote to keep Rizzoli & Isles and for that matter Major Crimes. These shows are favorites in our house. We look forward to watching them all year long. They are so well written, funny & a show the whole family can watch. TNT please, don’t cancel or even shorten them.

33. Aj says:

How is 13 episodes a shortened season? Season 6 is 12 episodes

• Rhonda says:

Season 6 is 18 episodes. 12 aired during summer and another 6 will air in the winter for total of 18.

• WayneAdneyC says:

They’re are shortened it I think to test viewers if they turn in the ratings or more as with 16-18 episodes. with 6 seasons in they have to pay the actors more per episode plus more episodes mean more production costs. I think they are trying to keep a profit going at a lower cost and they can still provide story with 13 episodes. Remember a lot has already been said about rizzoli & Isles and their respected families and work families. Too many episodes could peak those characters; viewers will lose interest and the ratings/demographics slump. A few more seasons after 7 and I think R&I is done. Shortening to 13 episodes assures that they can at least reach 10 seasons or close.

34. Wow every time I start watching a good show like this on and now its being cut short and have to wait for ever for it to come back on i love this show and would love to see the reruns like the other shows u play also ncis is the reason i started watching this show because of sasha alexander i love watching her shows she is a great actress and i think shes great so please please play the reruns

35. David says:

So when did 13 become smaller then 12? Season 6 has 12 episodes, so how can season 7 with 13 episodes be the shortest season since the 1st?

36. Rondi Nelson says:

Is Rizzoli & Isles coming back on TNT? I really hope so. It seems when a network has a hit show they cancel the show while they have non popular shows on that keep on being aired. Like 19 kids & counting that got cancelled due to the oldest son being caught in a lie. Kate plus eight she’s a witch that’s being nice. She treated her ex like dirt. Why don’t the network do something about him? Dirty Jobs great show I love it but does it really belong on the Animal Planet? No neither does treehouse, pool guys & other non animal shows. Plus take off the show crocodile hunter he died along time ago it’s creepy to watch a dead guy. Bring back Dr. Jeff Colorado vet. He is great to watch. Dr. Dee is great also. Thanks

37. Cathy Crivellone says:

Love this show…..I hope it will be on for at least a few more seasons. It’s unusual to have a well written and interesting show that is pretty clean also. I don’t usually have to turn it off when a youngster walks into the room.

38. thais says:

Maybe there’s no plot anymore for Rizzoli and Isles..or they going to try all that thing rizzles i don’t know…but it’s definitely a stupid choice cancel this amazing show.

39. I love this show ,it upsets me because every time I really like a show the network cancels it like Hart of Dixie .my favorite shows are Rizzoli and Isles,Big Bang TheoryALL OF THE NCIS SHOWS ,Scandel ,Quantico, the Voice,Scorpio,Nashville,DWTS,Blue Blood,Castle,Madame Secretary, Longmire,Bones,Elementary,Major Crimes,Last Man Standing please keep these

40. Elsa says:

I am happy that is coming back for season 7 but keep hoping that they will add more episodes. Does anyone knows if they are even talking about it?

41. I love Rozlio and Isles. I hope they leave it on the air.

42. Betty Ann Leverence says:

I hope that Rizzoli and Isles will continue to be on for a long time. I also want to ask that TNT look into bringing Body of Proof to the channel.

43. Ida peppers says:

Why is it every time we get used to watching a good series, the network decides to start cancelling and replace it to something else not as good. It. Sometimes it isn’t even worth watching tv.

44. Barb says:

Rizzoli and isles is the best show on TV. Maybe A & E will pick it up. They now do unforgettable.

• Ralph says:

A & E won’t pick up Rizzoli & Isles. They cut “Longmire”. Maybe Netflix will pick it up like they did “Longmire”. The fans got that picked up by Netflix, and it has already been renewed for a 2nd season on Netflix.

45. Sharon says:

Please don’t leave Michael weatherly. The reason the show stays strong is because ur characters of Gibbs Tony n donzo have been there from the start making u a real family. Please don’t ruin a good thing. I love the show

46. Janis says:

Really loved this show. There are not many shows with 2 women carrying the main load. Loved them all, and will miss very, very much. Not many good shows on anymore. Makes me so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SAD,

47. Sue says:

11 million viewers? Why are they canceling it?

48. Charlie Hall says:

THANK YOU SO MUCH ,for keeping RIZZOLI &ILIES on the air.The story lines are FANTASIC plus they are both such GREAT ACTORS!!!
    Also I live….and can’t wait for the next season of BATES MOTEL!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE this show! I so wish there were like at least 20 shows per season,it finally comes around and POOF it is gone for another yr. PLEASE I BEG YOU MORE EPISODES PER YEAR!!!
    It is my favorite show EVER I DO BELIEVE…All the main ACTORS are FABULOSO!!! I am on the edge of my seat watching every move and word of NORMAN,does he have someone in mind to KILL? Sorry forgot the ACTORS name,but he is BRILLANT WITH HIS CRAFT ALSO NORMA THUMBS UP…PLEASE THIS SHOW FOR 10 YRS.!!!
    Kid is to the writters of this INCREDIABLE SHOW!!!!

49. Kathy Farrell says:

Hope they don’t cancel. One my favorites.

50. Lorna says:

One of the best shows on television. The cast is amazing with there interaction.
    Love the show. Hope it goes on forever