Fall TV Preview
Nashville Deacon Dead Alive Season 4

Nashville Season 4: Deacon Might Be Dying! — What Happens Next?

TVLine hits rewind on the TV season’s biggest “What Happens Next” finales, then invites you to predict the cliffhanger outcomes

Here’s all we know: Someone’s heart stopped during surgery in the final moments of Nashville‘s third season. Whether the ticker in question belonged to soulful Deacon Claybourne or his spiteful sister Beverly — well, that’ll be determined once the ABC drama returns for Season 4.

RELATED Nashville Promotes Aubrey Peeples to Series Regular in Season 4

It’s been a long while since May, so here’s a brief refresher on the shared plight of poor Deacon and/or Beverly: Just as his cancer progressed to the point he was no longer eligible for a spot on the donor list, Deacon learned that his sister — who’d been begged by a desperate Rayna — was grudgingly going to give him part of her liver. Deacon had nightmares about dying, but everything went according to plan… until the siblings were in the operating suite. That’s when either Bev or Deke got one step closer to the Grand Ole Opry in the sky.

In advance of Nashville‘s return — on Wednesday, Sept. 23 at 10/9c — we invite you to watch the scene in question by pressing PLAY on the video below, then scroll down to weigh in on what happens next.

1. No Deacon, no more watching Nashville!

2. Angela says:

Deacon is not going to die. Beverly will die and the season will be spent dealing with Deacon’s guilt and Scarlett’s grief

• Marcie says:

And he blames Rayna or Rayna blames herself for Beverly’s death.

• Jennifer says:

I can see this (this is my vote), but it could also be that Bev “dies” on the table and then makes no one forget it all season. I’d rather deal with the guilt than her sticking around.

• Mary says:

I am with you on the second option. Bev will live to make everyone’s life miserable. She will make Rayna help make her the star she never was because she will owe her.

3. Rebecca says:

I just binged all 3 seasons. I would be devastated if Deacon died.

4. Boiler says:

If Deacon dies the show would be cancelled by mid season/ I would like to see Beverly live as it is maddening to have shows think they can just kill off people at will

5. I don’t remember seeing that much of her,but if she can save Deacon’s life i’m for saving her also.Deacon is to much of the show. I think it will fall apart. why couldn’t it be Teddy?

6. steven says:

We didn’t even see an announcement that Charles Esten would be leaving the show. I’m sure he’ll be fine.

• Jennifer says:

Yeah … and Patrick Dempsey signed a 2 year contract. NOTHING is certain in TV World.

• Rook says:

But that would be the same as killing Derek in the third season. Plus Nashville isn’t as popular as Grey’s so the can’t afford to lose a favorite right now.

7. Shara says:

Bev dies, that way Deacon can live with the guilt the rest of his sober life.

8. Marc says:

A coma and a four-episode stint on Whose Line for Chip! (We really need a catchy nickname for Aisha’s Whose Line a la “Drews’s Line.”)

9. Jules says:

They will make us sweat as much of the first episode as possible until we find out that Bev died on the table. Deacon will feel all sorts of guilt and maybe flirt with the bottle again until Rayna (or maybe his kid) convinces him that it is the proper memorial to Bev to live and not drink. Cue song written in her memory and Deacon (and his kid?) climbing the charts, shoving Rayna off the charts and creating conflict between those two. (It’s A Star Is Born sideways.)

10. A fan of TV says:

Deacon lives, his sister dies, and without her horrible mother Scarlett blossoms into a legitimate country star because that voice in her head is dead and buried. Of course, she’ll go through the ringer of conflicted emotions at first, but come out of it stronger and better with the support of friends and family and Gunnar.

11. neaorlean says:

I really want Deacon to live, but something’s been bothering me since the finale – Rayna is not Beverly’s next of kin. If Beverly died, they should’ve told Scarlett first, not Rayna.

12. ToyCannon says:

The doctor called Rayna aside to give the bad news. If it was Beverly who flatlined, surely he would be speaking to Scarlett instead.

• Care says:

Scarlett is next of kin for Deacon, also, since he and Rayna aren’t married, although Maddie is closest of all.

• Abbielynne says:

Maddie would have to be over 18 to be Deacon’s legal next of kin, which, of course, she isn’t.
        If Beverly were well, she would be next of kin, before Scarlett, since, a Sister would take precedence, over a Niece.

You would think that Deacon would have given Rayna his medical power of attorney, before the surgery; maybe, he did.

I do think it will be Beverly who flatlined, and though I’d rather have her live, and just fade out of the storyline, I’m guessing she dies.

13. Alicia says:

Come on Kim we all know there’s no Nashville without Deacon. Deyna forever. See ya Bev cheers for the Liver and all that it’s appreciated haha

14. Miguel says:

Why do producers on TV think that killing people all the time will increase ratings? I think that it goes the other way around. I agree no Deacon and Nashville is over for me.

15. Gail says:

I say Bev dies but she had a previously unknown condition and would have died in a day or two anyway. That is why she suddenly agreed to be the donor. Or she is brain dead and Scarlet has to decide whether to take Bev off life support. This puts a wedge in Scarlet’s relationship with young Doc.

16. Cbach says:

If they kill off Deacon I’m done with Nashville just like Grey’s Anatomy!

17. Kat says:

Chip Esten is headlining a festival in my town in September outside of Nashville. Pretty sure he lives and is in the area filming the show.

• Alicia says:

Yeh he lives with his family in Nashville. Moved there when he got the part in the show 😉

• I am so glad that Steven loves and lives in Tenn.now it is beautiful here..and i hope Deacon dont die off our show also i quit watching Greys anatomy when they let Dr.Derrick die on there and the Nashville show will lose a lot of their viewers also..cant wait for it to come back on..Patsy

18. MP says:

If Deacon dies the show dies. As much as I think Beverly is a snake, they could get a lot of storylines out of her.

19. Nan says:

Well if they kill off Deacon I’m done with Nashville.

20. nadialus says:

They wouldn’t risk killing off a fan favorite especially because they are a “on the line” show. Chance of renewal would plummet if they killed him.

• Jennifer says:

Not a Grey’s fan are you?

• nadialus says:

Actually I am! However Nashville doesn’t have the fanbase or numbers. Grey’s is almost, if not already, a cult show. Once you’ve been on for that long and pull in that many viewers, producers/ writers will make more unpopular calls. With a newer show that isn’t pulling crazy numbers and is always on the line of being canceled it’s highly unlikely they’d kill as central and loved character as Deacon.

21. MiaB says:

We all know Deacon is not going to die. All I’m saying is that if Beverly dies and Deacon deals with it by falling off the wagon YET AGAIN, it’s going to make Season 4 unbearable. Please don’t do that to us regular folk, Nashville writers.

22. micki Jean says:

Deacon cannot die. If he did the show would have to end, right? Just can’t go on without him.

23. Elissa says:

Nashville without Deacon…unimaginable!!! Don’t do it!! And if Bev dies, please don’t let the sad, dark storyline drag on for too long, ALL the storylines on this show are dark and depressing right now and I think everyone can agree that after EVERYTHING they’ve been through, Rayna and Deacon deserve a bit of happiness! Or at least, light hearted drama such as dealing with parenting those girls instead of life and death situations.

24. Marie Blackford says:

No Deacon will not ever watch Nashville

25. Mechelle says:

My biggest fear is they found a spot on bevs liver making her non useless and she makes raynas life a living he’ll for getting cut open or they could just kill her off it’s a tv show after all who says they’d tell next of kin or if rayna was put down as being able to know what is going on

26. pat says:

What a cliffhanger don’t want deacon to die fear Bev will be around a lot longer though as she is too good a storyline to let go!! Rayna and deacon are Nashville other character are replaceable and interchangeable not them. Roll on September. I agree with other comments nashville will die without rayna and deacon The music particularly the xx s with Scarlett is superb.

27. regina burke says:

if Deacon goes from Nashville so will

28. I love this amazing show Nashville and I love Deacon and Rayna together finally please dont let him die now it is time for their happiness finally…and it would be a great disappointment to lose this amazing character we Love him and both of them together please keepbyour fans happy..glad to know Steven is going to play a part on there aldo wow cant wait until the show comes back on..Love Deacon..Patsy L.