General Hospital Geary Exit

General Hospital Promotes Big Farewell Week for Luke, 'The Man Who Did It All'

Eight-time Daytime Emmy winner Tony Geary will once and for all wrap his decades-long General Hospital run on Monday, July 27 — and ABC is doing its best to make sure you don’t miss a minute of Luke Spencer’s exit storyline.

The sudser’s new promo touts a grand, week-long farewell to the character who has toiled for the mob, saved the world from a big freeze, had Elizabeth Taylor crash his wedding, skinny-dipped with Emma Samms and…. I’m sorry, what was I saying?

Suffice to say, Luke has done and seen it all, a point the promo puts front and center. Give it a watch below, then tell us: Will you miss Luke, and if so, why?

1. Kel507 says:

<3 <3 <3 Love you Luke Spencer!!! You will be missed!!

2. Abe Froman says:

What a terrible exit for a TV legend. These GH writers are the worst.

3. wrstlgirl says:

I’m wondering if Luke will go off to be with Lucky since Lucky is fighting his own personal demons. Something Luke knows oh to well. He will be missed.

4. Chloe says:

I’d have missed him if he’d left a few years ago. Now, I’ll be relieved to see him go. Adios, Luke!

5. Mr. Tran K says:

It’s going to be an emotional moment for GH fans as Luke Spencer rides off into the sunset come July 27th.

6. RichCD says:

Tony Geary is the reason I’ve watched GH on and off for all of these years, and its too bad his exit story has been so terrible. Honestly, GH needs to stop even trying to do any kind of grand adventure-type stories. They seem incapable of properly setting them up, and clearly don’t have the budget to do them right.

But I guess that’s what makes Tony so special – he has always risen above the material. Kudos and good luck!

• Kelly says:

Tony THINKS he is special. The thing that made him special was when it was Luke AND Laura.THEY were what was special.Ever since they broke them apart , I dont care.Tony by himself has turned into an ego driven ass. He doesnt want Genie to be around or to have L&L together whatso ever. Dude, the only reason you were known was L&L. Don’t crap on what got you there.

• Melora says:

He does sound better he never made it out of soaps.

• S. Sensuality J. says:

Don’t tell screen names what to say or take away our free speech. this is America… not Cuba or Iran ok!! Kelly you need to shut up and stick your head in a freezer til it explodes. who put a pitch fork up your butthole. Tony was the Joint, and will exit like the joint! keep your hater comments to yourself!

• Kelly says:

Excuse me, last time I checked, this IS America and we ALL have a right to our opinions.Forgot that didn’t ya missy! You have yours and I have mine.Your so called intelligence is showing with your fifth grader insults.Seriously need to step up your game Hon, cuse you ain’t got nothin’. So do you always just insult people who don’t agree with you? It is going to be a real eye opener when reality hits you in the face and you realise that not all people think the same and that it is OK and to not act like a child when they don’t.

“Stick your head in a feezer until it explodes?” “stick a pitchfork up your butthole?”
          WOW that is the best you got…LOL

• Marsha says:

I agree, Kelly! He was wonderful when bouncing off of Genie Francis’s acting from the very beginning. She brought out talent he probably didn’t even know he had. Without her he was rudderless and only brightened when she returned. It’s probably hard to admit that he’s never been that good without her.

7. Sarah says:

I started watching long after the Luke and Laura days so I have never understood the appeal of Luke Spencer or the man who plays him. His scenery-chewing overacting days far outnumber the few moments of actually talented work. Best of luck to him but him gone leaves more room for those without a massive ego. Now if they could only get rid of the other “why the heck do people love this guy” character – Sonny.

8. maxsmom says:

I have spoken much of my peace on Daytime Confidential but I will add to this thread: Good Luck to Mr. Geary in all future endeavors! I look forward to GH without Luke’s larger than life presence.

9. Ginger Snap says:

Oh man, I remember watching Luke and Laura’s wedding.
    I haven’t seen an episode of GH in over 20 years. Caught one the other day. And there’s Luke trying to pacify Tracy Quartermaine. I don’t even want to know how it was decided that she’s Luke’s soul mate, but I didn’t have any trouble understanding the plot.
    Adieu Luke. It was fun.

10. N says:

I’ll miss him! Hard to say goodbye

11. Linda Kraft says:

Luke you will be missed. General hospital has been in my life for decades. Can’t imagine GH without you. Best of luck to you.

12. aph1976 says:

I wish Anthony Geary all the best in his retirement even though i’ll miss him on General Hospital.

13. David Dale says:

A. Geary’s exit of General Hospital-perfect time for another soap to bite the dust and get replaced with more inane talk, game, or reality show…TV is for getting away from reality! Best invention ever but use a brain to be selective in an escape from day to day reality.

14. sladewilson says:

As the tag says, “the man who did it all” – Luke Spencer is an icon. Thank you, Anthony Geary for bringing an iconic figure to us all….

• tony will be well missed as was genie francis when she left .there will never be an other luke and laura of dAYTIME THANKD GH AND GLORIA MONTY THE SHOW WAS MAGIC WHEN SHE WAS AT THE HELM.

15. Love you very much. I have lived your memories approximately 48 years each day. I never thought this day would finally come. You well deserve it. I
    Enjoy your retirement, live each day to the fullest.

16. Ellen Nelson says:

Luke’s character on GH will definitely be missed. I’ve watched that soap for as long as I can remember. It was definitely Luke and Laura’s characters that put General Hospital on the map for best day time tv. Luke’s character has taken it’s viewers on some serious up and down rides. Never a dull moment. I sincerely hope his character doesn’t die on the show. I wouldn’t be able to handle that. I would love to see a fond farewell with him and Laura. True to each other till the end!

17. I start watching Gh Luke and Laura adventure, wedding, dramas, action, especially Luke sense humor,quick come back and greatest acting. I stop watching when storylines about him start change because I have been watching GH since the 80’s.

18. Fawn Nielsen says:

I do think with Tony leaving, Jonathan should be the one to come back…he and Ethan both…need story line with both of Likes children…

19. donna huber says:

I was crying at watching todays episode. I have watched GH since the day it began. I just cant imagine this show without Luke. Oh my God. I am leaving these last shows on my DVR so I can maybe watch them again.
    I simply cant believe it. No Luke.
    Farewell my friend of so many years.

20. mojo says:

Good bye Luke Spencer! Hope this really isnt goodbye. You and all the old characters are why I have tuned in for years. I loved more of the quirky,comedy, fun scenes. You were always great. I did have a tear in my eye watching you today. Hope your happy in what ever you do. I would like to see you again in some great roles. Glad you came back.

21. Angela Gilmore says:

I will miss you Luck Spencer, but so happy for long long career, in daytime TV, , that I have watched from the Luke and Laura days. I hope you will come back on occasion, I beleive it’s a story line that can bring you back when you are well for a quick visit. Enjoy your retirement . You have worked hard and gave us great entertainment.

22. MJ Page says:

Love you Luke Spencer, general hospital just won’t be the same without you. Anthony Geary thank you for many wonderful years of this handsome & charismatic character. You will be missed immensely

23. Darla says:

All I can say is, “wanna come over for dinner”? You can bring a friend…not Tracey! though I am starting to appreciate her more now and kinda like her. I loved the L&L days and have watched all the reruns on Youtube. Yup that was our youthful days. I am retired too and well I hope you enjoy every minute of yours and live your life to the fullest. What a cutie you were and still have that twinkle now and then! Au revoir Tony/Luke

24. Christian says:

This whole storyline has been a major disappointment. Sad that such an iconic run has ended at the hands of one of the worst writers in daytime history and when the show is at its lowest ebb in quality. Geary deserved more. And his last scene will be with Maurice Bernard. What an insult.

25. i have been watching your character for years you will be missed

26. Luke says:

Here’s to getting lost in it all and we will miss you. Good luck in your further endeavors!!! Your fans in Minnesota love you alot!!!

27. YVONNE HYATT says:

general hospital is over as we knew it with LUKE leaving us. It will still be the best soap opera but never again will it shine as bright… with the brightest star gone…

28. I’m sorry to hear that Luke Spencer is leaving gh , I have been watching him for years I was fourteen when I started watching him an Laura, and all their many adventure’s together. I’m now going on fifty I’m sorry to say I will miss his farewill because I work second shift and I start at two when gh comes on in Michigan.

29. Jules says:

I first bought a VCR to record the episodes when he left the first time. It was 1983, I think. He went out to the tune of James Taylor singing “Shower the People You Love with Love.” I think that was the end of my childhood right there, because I was so hooked on Luke and Laura and she had left and then he left and it just wasn’t the same anymore. Bon voyage, Luke Spencer! You and your exits are major goalposts in my life. Weird that it should be like that, but it is.

30. Linda says:

I have watched GH since my teen years. Best Wishes , Tony on your new life’s journey. Thanks for the memories.

31. bob says:

so long tony…loved general hospital for over 40 years. will miss seeing you everyday. good luck with your future. you are and always will be the one that did it all

32. he made my daytime so better and i could have played the laura part , i was available. tony i will always recall the part you have played in my daytime life.

33. Linda says:

SO SORRY YOU ARE LEAVING ANTHONY. YOU WILL BE SORELY MISSED BY ME. WHAT IS THE SHOW GOING TO BE LIKE WITHOUT “LUKE”? HARD TO IMAGINE.

I HAVE WATCHED YOU FOR YEARS. I WATCHED YOU AND LAURA GET MARRIED.

I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK IN YOUR FUTURE ENDEAVORS. GOD BLESS YOU.

34. Dianne Alexander says:

I can’t imagine GH without Luke! It would be great to have him return. I already miss him!

35. Silverrose says:

For someone of Luke’s caliber, should have had a profound exist. It lacked all the substance that he brought to this once Great Show. Very disappointing to see his farewell. The writers should have been to give him a lasting exist. Perhaps these are not the same writers… truly do not have the understanding what the show gave to millions of people back in the 80’s or perhaps the 70’s. Hopefully it will turn around….and stop having people coming and going. u can not invest in time in these characters, it almost a joke. GH needs the original cast members…Alan Q, Jason(who now is on another show), give a story line for Monica. What ever happen to Robin…come back!!!

36. Nanette says:

We will miss Anthony Geary he made us love and hate Luke. We were never sure if we needed to cheer or jeer for him.