Comic-Con

Nathan Fillion, Alan Tudyk Talk 'Reviving' Firefly in Con Man and Gunning for Adam Baldwin in Season 2

Alan Tudyk hatched the idea for his meta-drenched Firefly sendup Con Man in Nathan Fillion‘s kitchen.

“That’s where I make all of my deals now,” Fillion jokes of the Tudyk-created project, which debuts on Vimeo in September and features the Castle star in a recurring role.

Con Man finds Tudyk playing a down-on-his-luck actor whose claim to fame was a short-lived cult series titled Spectrum. Since the show’s cancellation a decade ago, he has made a living attending regional sci-fi conventions and trying (unsuccessfully) to step out of his more famous co-star’s (Fillion) shadow.

In the above Q&A, conducted earlier this month at Comic-Con, Tudyk and Fillion break down the project’s not-so-subtle Firefly parallels, discuss navigating the fine line between satire and mockery, and reveal the Season 2 role they’re targeting Adam Baldwin for.

1. JBC says:

Would love to see the Firefly cast together again.

• Mr. Tran K says:

That would be awesome and I couldn’t agree more. :-)

• c-mo says:

I have a feeling that this is as close as we’re going to get and for S1, we’re missing the 3 mentioned. Scheduling this group of actors is akin to herding cats.

2. Luc says:

Number 1 show on my list and it didn’t even started yet!

3. MelindaB says:

I’m a funder! I can’t wait for the show.

4. c-mo says:

More Michael, more…please?!?!?! I would love it if you attached your full interview to some of the funder perks as surprises…?

5. DarkDefender says:

Best part (besides the creepy doll convention) is Joss Whedon shaking a box overhead to make it snow on set. The clips they showed at SDCC were awesome.. My prediction is that the merchandising from the “Spectrum” show alone, will make them rich.

6. Jennifer says:

Sorry – I may have missed it, but when & where will this be on?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

“…which debuts on Vimeo in September.”

• Jennifer says:

Sorry Matt. That’s what happens when I skim and skip straight to the video. Follow up question. What in the world is Vimeo? : )

• Ro says:

This looks awesome!! Do you know how many episodes per seaon? I probably missed that in another post. Is this the first ‘series’ for Vimeo or do carry other originals? Thanks!

7. Of all the things I said in my short post, I wonder which one caused it to be moderated and not show up. Curious.

8. CaskettCrazy (or once was) says:

Pathetic. They need to quit living out their “glory days” and move on already. Nathan, how about putting some heart back into Castle, you know, your actual paying gig? You’ve been phoning it in since season five. Certainly not fair to your Castle fans. Seeing so much time and effort going into this is like a slap in the face to real Castle fans. Castle is ready to be taken off life-support and die a quick death due to Nathan and Andrew Marlowe. Sad. Oh well, I guess the bright side is the real professional, talented actors get to hold their heads up high as they walk away from this train wreck that Castle has become.

9. Kristina says:

Love it. I’m so glad that with as busy and successful as most of the cast is, they’ve still managed to put something like this together. Very much looking forward to seeing the finished product.

10. Tara17 says:

Looking so much forward to this! Trailer looks very promising.