Comic-Con

Penny Dreadful's Reeve Carney on Season 3 Villainy, His Dream Pairing and What Could've Saved [Spoiler]

Why did Dorian have to murder [spoiler]? Why?!?

That question was foremost on Michael Ausiello’s mind when Reeve Carney, who plays the Penny Dreadful lady killer, stopped by TVLine’s Comic-Con suite at the Hard Rock Hotel last week, and our fearless leader wouldn’t let it go until the actor admitted that there was one thing that could have saved (we’re going to run her name now so avery your eyes if you’re behind on Season 2!!) Angelique.

What was it?

Press PLAY on the video above to get Carney’s answer, plus hints about what a formidable scheme team Dorian and Lily will make next season and the identity of the co-star into whose storyline he hopes to cross.

1. Ange says:

Awesome, cant wait.

2. Ian says:

Im not all that bummed about Angelique’s death, and yeah, it really served as the turning point for Dorian as marking him a villain. So maybe that was the point. Dorian’s classically incredibly fickle though, so he would have moved on from her anyway.
    And maybe Reeve will get his wish, because it’s going to take a lot for me to consider Dorian and Lily as formidable foes. All they have is immortality, so they’ll need to possibly work with other characters like Hecate and Mr Hyde to become anything worth fearing.

3. e. says:

Not as justification, but Reeve’s analysis left off the fact that there was mention of Dorian’s past involvement and dalliances with oddities (I think that was the exact wording). Basically building Dorian up as an immortal with a case of ADHD as it relates to his relationships. I’m guessing there are more bodies buried at the Grey house.

4. Lauren says:

I thought Dorian’s motivation was pretty well explained in the dialogue during that scene. The Dorian that Angelique fell for was a persona Dorian was trying on….her young beautiful champion. Maybe he even believed he had changed for awhile because her story moved him and he enjoyed doing right by her. But the truth of Dorian is there in the portrait…twisted, selfish, chained to the ugliness of his soul. This is Dorian Grey, after all, and we had to see that side of him eventually. If Dorian does the right thing there in the scene with Angelique the portrait reveal loses its punch. I think the reason Dorian said “I don’t believe you…” to Angelique is because he knew he would fail her eventually. He was already growing bored with her and drawn to the new intrigue that was Lily/undead Brona.

5. Eileen says:

I miss Angelique. I think she would have kept Dorian’s secret. Lawd knows she lived hers.

6. reneer says:

Dorians character stood in the back row for every episode up until the recent ones. We all know the story of Dorian Gray but had been waiting for Dorian to actually DO something worth while on the show. He finally did. He would not have killed Angelique had he/she never found the secret room and the portrait. I’m not a big fan of Lily’s character or that actress, but whatever. It’s still good to see him get a meatier part of camera time. Finally!

• Jmoore says:

I agree with your assessment of Reeve Carney’s character – I love the show; however, I love how Reeve portrays Dorian Gray – which is one big reason I watch the show:)

7. billib says:

who cares about Angelique. A minor character who’s time had come. I’m more sad about the demise of Sembene.