Ratings: Thursday Dateline More Than Doubles Aquarius/Hannibal Numbers

NBC’s Dateline Thursday Night Mystery averaged 5.4 million total viewers and a 1.1 demo rating across its two-hour run, more than doubling the numbers most recently put up by time slot predecessors Aquarius (2.5 mil/0.5) and Hannibal (1.4 mil/0.4) — both of which are now airing on Saturday evening.

Opening the Peacock’s night, Food Fighters (3.8 mil/0.9) was steady.

Elsewhere….

CBS | A Big Bang rerun drew the night’s largest audience (7.2 million viewers). Big Brother (6 mil/2.0) ticked up week-to-week, while Under the Dome (4.8 mil/0.9) slipped to new series lows.

FOX | Boom! (2 mil/0.7) was steady, while the penultimate Wayward Pines (3.2 mil/0.9) dipped to series lows.

ABC | Astronaut Wives Club (4.5 mil/1.0) rose to best-since-premiere numbers, while Mistresses (3.3 mil/0.8) and Rookie Blue (3.6 mil/0.7) were flat.

THE CW | Beauty and the Beast (1 mil/0.3) inched up a tenth, while Dates (550K/0.1) dipped a precious tenth (I think the invite list for my sons’ bar mitzvah is bigger…?).

1. Diane says:

I finally gave up on UTD. I guess many viewers have done the same.

2. Mr. Tran K says:

Too early to tell whether or not Rookie Blue gets renewed possibly for a final season but the series just keeps getting better.

3. c-mo says:

Matt, I just checked my mail and the invite must have gotten lost…must be on the “C” list…

4. Ron says:

I love Hannibal (despite season 3 not being quite as good as seasons 1 & 2, still love it), but I understand that some people can’t watch it because of the content. But call me crazy, I’d rather watch a show (i.e., Hannibal) with fake torture and murder rather than a show (i.e., Dateline Mystery) about the real life torture and/or murder of actual people. I get that Hannibal may be more graphic, but again, fake. The people dying in Hannibal get to leave, go home, and enjoy life afterward. The people who have been killed being detailed in Dateline, are dead, in the ground, taken away from their families, never coming back. But maybe that’s just me, since roughly 4 times as many people watched Dateline than Hannibal.

5. Boiler says:

I actually like Astronauts Wives Club but would be totally different show if renewed. Hope Rookie Blue comes back but that is sort of up to Canada. ABC already idiots for not showing Motive even though it has been renewed twice in Canada

6. Nero tTVf says:

Wait a minute. Are you telling me that Dateline did better than a scripted television show? Are you telling me that??!! Don’t tell me you are telling me *THAT*! Because if you are telling me that, well, then, that’s it! The apocalypse has arrived — EVERYONE, run for your lives!!!

Alas, the state of broadcast television. I don’t know if this is a consequence of Dateline being such a superior product, or a sad realization that the networks have scripted shows that no one appears to want to watch anymore – TV series with more blood and gore and killing. Heck, why should I watch a scripted series like that (Hannibal) when I can get all that on a typical Dateline. I just read the prior post above, and I agree with him/Ron…. for those who cannot stomach another violent series like Hannibal, is Dateline any better?

So, here we are – summer 2015 – and Dateline is NBC’s ‘go-to-show’? NBC heal thyself. Somewhere, David Sarnoff is turning over in his grave. RIP Mr. Sarnoff. You are not responsible for the mess that NBC has become. Who is responsible? The same people who cannot get your broadband connection into you home to work properly. Yes, those people.

Have a good day NBC – consolidation of the broadcast television medium is coming – enjoy.

7. jeff says:

thats what we need more dateline..bahaha not really,quit playing around up there at nbc put my Hannibal back on Thursdays. and quit canceling good shows y’all are confusing everyone,Hannibal was a great loss for nbc

8. jeff says:

talk about bloody violence wonder who Nbc will axe next….probably something as as great as Hannibal….wait nothing was that great…wonder whats on Abc