Alana De La Garza Criminal Minds

Forever's Alana De La Garza Cops Role in Criminal Minds Spinoff

Alana De La Garza is quickly becoming the poster child for CBS’ new season.

In addition to recurring on the Eye Network’s Scorpion this fall, the Forever alumna has joined Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders in a series-regular role, TVLine has learned.

The procedural spinoff, debuting at midseason, will focus on a division of the FBI that helps American citizens who are in danger abroad. De La Garza will play Clara, a smart, well-traveled cultural anthropologist on the International Response Team.

Additionally, relative newcomer Annie Funke has been cast as Mae, the team’s fearless, fun medical examiner. The series also stars Gary Sinise (CSI: NY), Tyler James Williams (Everybody Hates Chris) and Daniel Henney (Revolution).

And not that we’re going to take all the credit, but TVLine did suggest De La Garza’s Beyond Borders casting, shortly after Forever was — sniff — cancelled.

Are you more interested in Beyond Borders now that De La Garza is involved? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Maria says:

Sounds like CBS is capitalizing on the fact that ABC wasn’t smart enough to keep her.

• AL says:

You do know Forever ratings sucked?
      It was lucky to get a back 9 from ABC. It was hitting low 1s before November

• Frank says:

I suspect if they had Castle’s time slot *after* Castle’s season was over, it would have resolved that little ratings issue. They made a costly mistake shoehorning an original show like Forever in that Tuesday late slot against vetted shows.

• Maria says:

Yes I am well aware of Forever’s ratings. My post didn’t say anything about ABC keeping Forever. It was about keeping HER.

• Angelo says:

It’s traditional ratings sucks, but given its online footprint I’d gather that it was one of the shows that’s viewer totals were underrepresented by an outdated ratings system.

2. Barkdull says:

I’d watch, Alana is too hot not to watch!

3. Mr. Tran K says:

Hope Alana should juggle from Scorpion to CM: Beyond Borders. CBS is all about ADLG (Alana De La Garza). BTW, is she really filling the void for Anna Gunn in the CM spin-off?

• Dean says:

Yeah she is and thank God Anna Gunn was the one thing I didn’t like about the backdoor pilot. As for scorpion with CMBB as a mid season I think that she’ll have time to do her scorpion episodes before she starts work on the spin off.

• Mr. Tran K says:

Thanks for the update Dean but I’m wondering if CMBB should be placed in the 10 p.m. Wednesday night time slot come mid-season if the new medical series Code Black is short lived by CBS.

4. Nero tTVf says:

Nice catch by TVLine regarding ADLG’s potential for the Criminal Minds spinoff. I’ll be watching a great deal more CBS this coming season.

Looking forward to both series this fall and upcoming winter/mid-season. Congratulations Alana!! :) Congratulations CBS – very smart move! :)

5. albertj15 says:

This woman has been good in every role I have seen her in. I think she was in C S I Miami an then Law & Order. As one of the other commentors said she is hot.

6. Dennis says:

ABC’s loss!!!

7. I loved her on Forever. Better than I did on CSI:Miami

8. Karen meyer says:

I loved Alana on Forever and I am sorry it got cancelled and was not picked up by another network. I will watch her in her new role on criminal minds spinoff.

9. David says:

CBS’s win- ABC’s loss! Can’t believe they dropped Forever.

10. Angel says:

I really liked Forever, and she is the main reason I clicked on to the story.

11. I’m very happy for her. NBC really dropped the ball. They should have put Law & Order on the fast track and brought her back. Now I have a reason to possibly watch this show. This should end ALL THE BRING BACK FOREVER TALK.

• AMG says:

It will not end the “Save Forever” campaign. Fans of the series are still conducting a social media campaign to bring back the series. They know that Forever was cancelled for reasons other than Live+Same-Day ratings. If ratings were a factor, then SHIELD, American Crime, and Galavant would have joined Forever in cancellation. (SHIELD and Galavant were actually worse in the Live+Same-Day ratings than Forever was.) Instead, SHIELD, American Crime, and Galavant were renewed while Forever was cancelled. The reason: the first three were produced by ABC Studios while Forever was produced by Warner Brothers.

• AMG says:

Besides, I think that fans will not stop until series creator Matt Miller says that Warner Brothers has exhausted all options for the series. As long as he has not given any news along those lines, they will keep fighting to save the series.

12. Angela says:

I’m not familiar with her work, but if the general reaction to her here is anything to go by, then I look forward to seeing her when the spin-off debuts :). Sounds like a smart choice on CBS’ part.

13. Sean says:

I’m glad she’s got lots of new work coming up. I love Scorpion, however I’m struggling to get through Criminal Minds on Netflix. I get the feeling it’s not suited for marathon viewing.

I’m still crushed that Forever was cancelled though and this will not ease that pain at all. Where’s the love for Ioan Gruffudd? He was brilliant as Henry Morgan and his absence from prime time television is a great loss. If there can be no Forever, he deserves a new show every bit as much as Alana.

• Frank says:

The entire Forever clan was super talented and they were smart to snatch this actress up. But keep in mind the time of year. We’re not even in pilot season! There’s always a mad frenzy to cast shows and now that Gruffudd is available, I could see him getting multiple offers, particularly for the strength of his performance. Someone will be very lucky to get him too.

With Forever, it was all about the lack of promotion and not scheduling in a proper time slot for a freshman show. But when you look at the DVR numbers and the sheer response to the show’s cancellation, it’s pretty clear it was a success. Those petitions were nothing short of remarkable. Gruffudd will certainly land somewhere else, as I imagine all the talented cast will.

• Sean says:

I really hope you’re right, I think his time has definitely come. And I agree the entire cast was excellent. They really had something special in Forever. I’m actually surprised they haven’t found a new home already, with the true popularity of the show coming through the way it has.

• Christine Angelos says:

OMG are you kidding me.Criminal Minds is fantastic. Believe me you have understand forensics and profiling of criminals. I guess my background is quite diverse.

14. Fran says:

Loved Forever!! Another network should pick it up !

15. I think Alana De La Garza will make an excellent addition to the new show. I like her acting and I fell she will fit in.

16. meatwad says:

i gave up on criminal minds years ago. but with Alana in this i’ll have to watch.

17. Sue says:

Won’t watch either show. She was the weak link in LAW & ORDER.

18. Abc gal says:

ABC didn’t lose her. This is an ABC production FOR the CBS network.

19. Carla Lathrop says:

Yes, she is a wonderful actress. Forever was the best!! but also a big Criminal minds fan this will be great!!

20. Jerry Taz says:

It seems many stars are now on more than 1 show at a time due to cut back in Series Ep orders and expanded viewing of Cable Channels like A&E, TNT and others. The celebs got families and need their craft as an actor in as many places as possible any more because the networks willy nilly cancel shows like Forever that got a full season order and then got dropped like Body of Proof which had far better ratings than many shows on these days. Dana Delany was another star Like Alana ABC let slip away to a Netflix series. Due to lower Network viewing, stars want and need work just like the rest of us.

You were spot on saying she would be good in the new CM show even though I didn’t like the Pilot Ep on CM very well. Gary Sinese is still CSI:NYing to me?

Great post, will copy it to ABC Advisory Panel for ABC Studios to again say they F***ed up with dropping Forever!

21. Maryann says:

Well, I guess that ends all hopes of Forever finding a new home. I am already a Scorpion fan, and will give the actual Beyond Borders a look, but the embedded pilot did not impress me at all — would far rather have seen Forever continue.

• AMG says:

In regards to your comment about Forever finding a new home, I don’t think so. There is still an ongoing social media campaign to save the series. As for Alana doing both CM and Forever (if it gets a S2), she might be able to do so. CMBB is a mid-season series, which means that it will likely have only 13 episodes in its first season. If Forever gets a S2, it will take time to rehire everyone and to secure filming locations. By then, CMBB’s filming will be over, and Alana can rejoin everyone else in filming Forever.

22. Debbie says:

I will be watching this show. Alana delagarza is a great actress.

23. Carlos says:

She is eye candy and smart, Law and Order, Forever, etc. Some exclusives in Maxims. Good luck to her.

24. Leanne says:

Forever was a great show with a great cast. Good for Alana. She was great in CSI as well. Love Scorpion. If anyone watched Forever they would know..people comment on shows they haven’t watched as it certainly didn’t suck unless you like the teeney booper shows

25. skrable2 says:

I always thought Forever was miscast as a 10 p.m. series. It should have been slotted at 9 p.m., after OUAT.

26. Brian B says:

The star played a convincing doctor and in 2018 would make a great Doctor for the BBC.

27. Christine Angelos says:

I am glad to see is going to be in another TV series. I liked her I’m Miami CSI and I loved the series Forever. I was sorry that it did not get a second season. I watch hours upon hours of TV and almost every movie made. So I am glad she has an opportunity to star with Gary Sinise. Looking forward to the Criminal Minds spin off. Only hope they keep the original series on the air.

28. chris says:

I really liked her in Forever. Best of luck. Will still miss Forever though. Will catch this because she is in it.

29. jack lafaye says:

Any series, movie or other venue would suit this beautiful star. But please don’t have her in one with an immortal as a star or something entitled, “FOREVER.”

30. Steve Czetli says:

Thrilled to bump into Alana on Scorpion, way beneath her talents, but why no mention of loan guffudds – didn’t any body find him an amazingly likeable and talented newcomer to U. S. Not everybody could make Henry believable and sympathetic from the pilot on.

31. Pam says:

I love alana’s work and think she will be an excellent addition to the cast. I can’t wait for the series to begin. I thi k she and Gary Sinise will be a nchors for this cast.

32. Freakstone says:

Ah, yes, put her in a Criminal Minds spin-off…

Because we all know how well Criminal Minds spin-offs have gone in the past.

Suspect Behaviour was a televisual travesty.

33. David Allen says:

Why on earth cancel Forever, I would love to have seen how Henry tells her about his life and that Abe is his son.
    I would like to see them have a relationship more than normal and eventually get married, its a pity we can’t be like star trek fans and get the series back.

34. Jem says:

I’m gonna watch because of alana yay , but i miss forever

35. Jem says:

I love her so glad to see she’s doing well and i miss forever