Emmys
Emmy Snubs

Emmy Nominations 2015: TVLine Staff Picks the Snubs That Broke Our Hearts

We have to give credit where credit is due: The Television Academy pleasantly surprised us with its diverse group of Emmy nominations Thursday morning. (Admit it: You didn’t fully believe this would be Tatiana Maslany’s year for a nod, did you?)

But for every nomination that had us cheering — Viola! Taraji! Kimmy Schmidt! — there was an egregious snub that had us rolling our eyes. (No matter how many times we scan that list of nominees, Jane the Virgin is still not on it — and that’s just not OK.)

Now that we at TVLine have shared our favorite nominations with you, we’ve limited ourselves to the one snub that most disappointed each of us, along with a few words as to why said show or actor should have been acknowledged. (For a more comprehensive list of those who were given no Emmy love, click here.)

Browse through the gallery below — or click here for direct access — to see the Emmy oversights that irked Team TVLine, then hit the comments and tell us: Which snub will have you tweeting in caps lock all day?

1. Joey says:

Eternally upset over Eva Green’s snub.

2. Dude says:

Gina Rodriguez was def robbed. Hoping the Academy will get over their CW bias next year.

3. Yolanda says:

Constance Wu… ;(

4. Veronica hauser says:

Outlander was the most amazing original show I have ever watched. Sam Heughen’s performance surpassed any I have viewed this year along with Caitrina Balfe. With all the mindless repetitive shows that continue to be aired. I have lost faith in the entire process. It has to be an inside “thing” because the fans opinions do not matter. I for one will no longer watch “Emmys”.

• MLPR says:

Totally agree. Although I can maybe see leaving out Balfe because the others in her category are wonderful as well, I have no idea how Heughan and Menzies were left out. Heughan made me literally cry by the river, and Menzies was so great at playing two totally different characters. Black Jack is scary.

• Diane says:

I so agree about it being an insider thing.

• Sandy says:

After looking at all nominations for Outlander, more than Balfe and Heughan were robbed. Heughan’s performance was unbelievably the best I have ever seen and to think “The Academy” didn’t think that even deserved a nod? Definitely an “insider” thing. On Emmy night, September 20th, no Nielsen rating from this household for The Emmy’s. Gonna pour back a glass (or two) of Glenfiddich and have an Outlander Binge Watch Party!

5. …and Ellen Pompeo. UGH, why nobody talks about that snub?

• Mary says:

Because, like me, most people don´t think she was snubed?! Please, there are a lot of better actresses that were, effectively, snubed…

6. RealityBites says:

The lack of nominations for period or genre does not surprise in the least. As far as the old white men in the Academy is concerned, if an actor is not playing a contemporary doctor, lawyer, or a cop, the performances don’t count…..

7. Jordan says:

I haven’t seen any talk of Sissy Spacek’s snub, which is just adding salt to the wound.

8. I’m so disappointed that Outlander was snubbed in all of the main categories. GoT got nominated too many times! What the heck were those people thinking? Must be a bunch of old hags and (pardon me) farts not welcoming new, pogressive, unique, brave shows, best on television. How can any of the nominees be better than Sam Heughan, Caitriona Balfe or Tobias Menzies? I highly doubt it. Just wait, Emmys guys. Our time will come.

9. Lerbert says:

The Americans. It maintained it’s pace throughout the season without a single misstep and every actor on the show is exceptional.

10. Tee says:

Outlander and Gina Rodriguez/Jane the Virgin definitely.
    Nothing for Justified’s last season, sad.
    Also I think Tracee Ellis Ross is hilarious on Black-ish (as Rainbow), I’m surprised not to see her.

11. diane says:

I wanted The Goldbergs to get in there. I am tired of Modern Family.

12. Isobel says:

Outlander and penny dreadful but hopefully they will get nominated in the future

13. Joann says:

SONS OF ANARCHY!! I agree, Outlander, Jane the Virgin, Justified, COME ON EMMYS.

14. jm says:

Good gawd…what a travesty it is to bypass the Outlander cast in these nominations. While I’ve enjoyed watching Jon Hamm as Don Draper for 8 seasons, his performance has never equaled that of Sam Heughan’s powerfully strong and sensitive performance as Jamie Fraser; Elizabeth Moss was wonderful as Peggy Olson, but she never carried an entire season as did Caitriona Balfe with her emotionally nuanced and intelligent portrayal of Claire Beaucham; and Jim Carter as Mr. Carson is one of my favorite characters on Downton Abbey, but cannot begin to reach the brilliant performance of Tobias Menzies’ as the sadist, Black Jack Randall – a true tour de force performance. This makes very clear the Emmys are more about insiders promoting their colleagues in the industry, rather than awarding outstanding actors for their exceptionally talented performances. Just another reason to choose to do something else instead of watching (yawn) the Emmys.

• Diane says:

Outrageous that those leads in Outlander were snubbed! Too many quality performances were not valued so we get same old. It’s great that Game of Thrones is rewarded, perhaps the good old boy network has a financial incentive to do that.

15. B says:

Outlander and Justifed — as well as their lead and supporting cast members — being left out is a travesty. Outlander’s finale and The Wedding were both brilliantly done. And I don’t know if I’ve ever seen anything as perfect as “We dug coal together” “That’s right”. They got a couple of things right in nominating Tatiana Maslany and Viola Davis in particular (IMO), but some of the other inclusions are real head scratchers. It’s like they couldn’t be bothered to watch some shows or performances and just threw in familiar names instead. Unreal.

16. How the Emmys neglected Eva Green, well Penny Dreadful for that matter, is beyond me.

17. Maighread says:

Take heart Outlander – you’re in luminous ‘snub company’.

18. Debra says:

Disappointed that Outlander did not receive more nominations especially for costume design (Terry and her team). Lead male actor, supporting male actor and lead female actor (Sam, Tobias and Caitriona) were out of this world. Maybe that’s the problem. Congrats to Bear for his nod. As a fan I know it is a matter of time, however, still…..sorry no words can describe it. Congrats to those nominated.

19. kate says:

With you re Eva Green and Sam Heughan Grr…Agrr….

20. Amy H says:

I thought Gina Rodriguez and Jamie Camil were shoe-ins. Also Sam Heughan from Outlander. Happy about Bloodline nominations though.

21. Ally_D says:

The lack of love for Jane the Virgin, Gina Rodriguez and Jamie Camil hurts the most. Not one episode of JtV has failed to make me howl with laughter. Gina is so engaging and really delivers everything she’s given with such heart and conviction. And I don’t even know where to start with Jaime – his death scene on Passions of Santos and his alarm ring tone (“it’s another beautiful day to be Rogelio, wake up Rogelio”) are both priceless and make me chuckle just thinking about them. To console myself I’m going to rewatch season 1 and then turn out my Photoshop skills to create a photo of the JtV with an Emmy in their hand.
    The lack of recognition for The Americans, particularly the leads Matthew Rhys and Kerri Russell, is very puzzling. I would think this show was just what the Emmy voters were looking for but perhaps, as Vlada hints, their screeners got lost in the mail? This omission stings too

22. Rick says:

Tracey Ellis Ross should have been nominated !!

23. Diane says:

Sam Heughan, Catriona Balfe and Tobias Menzies were robbed!!! They were emmy worthy! Eva Green was also snubbed as was The Americans.

24. Marla Rudas says:

Outlander was robbed. The whole cast was worth nominating. The last two episodes should have cinched it. All we fans can hope for is next year. *Sigh*

25. subtleone5 says:

I absolutely agree with 6 of the 7 least favorite TVLine staff snubs; I just couldn’t get into the Comeback. This is why I haven’t watched the Emmy awards in years; their selection process is a joke!

26. B.g. Willis says:

It’s as if the television academy never actually watches TV. For every one they got right there are four or five they totally missed. Not a very good track record. And it happens every year. The Emmys are no longer relevent. I haven’t watched in years for good reason: the same people in the same categories every year. And the more snubs there are, and the more outrageous and obvious the snubs are, the more stupid the television academy looks.

27. jmbarry says:

Often an award will go to a series that has ended and won’t get a chance to get the nod in the future. Boo hiss! to the Academy for not giving credit to The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. The guy is brilliant, not just at making “news” entertaining but literally brilliant. He’s a political academic in entertainer’s disguise.

28. Lurenda W says:

Outlander is the best show I have seen in a long time. For Hollywood to not be fair to ALL
    those actors that put their heart and soul into there craft is a SHAMFUL thing. Maybe it time
    to get those who vote , to someone who watches to vote. Hollywood wake-up. You are not all it.
    The Outlander case should be on the ballot. My vote goes to Sam and Katihe.