George Lopez Celebrity Apprentice

Report: George Lopez Eyed to Replace Donald Trump on Celebrity Apprentice

By George, he’s (almost) got it.

Actor-comedian George Lopez is in talks with NBC to replace Donald Trump in the boardroom on Celebrity Apprentice, according to a report in Wednesday’s New York Post

The Post story cautions that the conversations are in the early stages and that the network is casting “a wide net” for Trumps successor. (Among those also being eyed: Shark Tank‘s Mark Cuban.)

NBC last month fired the outspoken entrepreneur-turned-presidential hopeful in the wake of his inflammatory statements about Mexican immigrants.

Thoughts? Would Lopez be a smart hire on NBC’s part? Got another suggestion? Hit the comments!

1. Daya says:

I’d be interested in either choice, really. George is funny and I must admit that I’ve never seen his serious side (at least not much), so I’m not sure how he’d work out in the boardroom. Mark, on the other hand, I’ve seen on quite a few episodes of Shark Tank and know he’d be perfect.

2. Ezzy says:

Mark over Geroge.

3. wrstlgirl says:

I would much prefer Mark Cuban. I’ve never cared much for Lopez.

4. The Grinch says:

LOL. George Lopez to replace Donald Trump, eh? Subtle NBC. Real subtle.

5. Maryann says:

Donald Trump and George Lopez tie as the two American celebrities most likely to get me to boycott a show.

6. liame says:

“YES”! NBC make this happen and I will watch every episode LIVE!

7. iHeart says:

I thought he told TMZ that he wasn’t interested

8. LADY_in_MD says:

I also read that Martha Stewart is a choice

9. Babybop says:

Mark Cuban would be great! I’m glad they’re not cancelling the show. It’s a wonderfully entertaining trainwreck.

• Lizo says:

Right?! I really like the format of the show, but had to stop watching recent seasons because Trump is so awful

10. Jess says:

George Lopez doesn’t seem like the right fit for the show.

11. opinion says:

I though the Apprentice was suppose to be a show about picking and mentoring the next successful businessman of America. Would that not take a business guru like Donald Trump to host instead of a comedian who only talents is screwing his wife out of a kidney. Go with the shark tank guy. NBC do something right for a change.

• eye says:

Key word is “was.” That concept went away years ago.

• Anita Wu says:

That was the original apprentice, which hasn’t done a new season in a long time. The celebrity version has gone strong for years because America loves watching has-beens fight. Also, they at least are raising money for good causes so there is a point to it.

• James says:

And add to that, even the UK Apprentice also did away with that concept and is now focused on finding the newest business partner of the host, Lord Alan Sugar. Kinda like an expanded Shark Tank/Dragon’s Den UK.

12. It would be sweet irony

13. Julia says:

I would love to see Mark Cuban in the role. George Lopez doesn’t have the business clout for this type of show.

14. Joey says:

If they want a bloviating bigot to host the show, just get the Koch brothers to co-host.

15. Can’t stand George Lopez, but more than that…..if they want any degree of authenticity for the show, they need a businessman or woman. That is the premise of the show, right? George Lopez is a comedian and he will make the show more of a joke than it is already.

16. aunt_deen says:

I never watched it with Trump because I find him to be repellent. I will absolutely watch at least a full season with his replacement, just so I can do my very small part in making his blood pressure skyrocket.

17. Jeff D. says:

This rumor has been debunked. Not true, fortunately.

18. steven says:

I don’t see how this show could survive without Trump. He WAS The Apprentice.

• madamj56 says:

Agree 100%. And knowing Trump, he probably owns the “Apprentice” moniker.

• Marc says:

Mark Burnett created it. Last fall, MGM merged Burnett’s and wife Roma Downey’s production companies into their United Artists Media Group, which now produces the Apprentice and other Burnett shows. Burnett is now CEO of UA

19. Luis says:

The simple act of NBC hiring Lopez to replace Trump would give George the basis for a brand new HBO stand-up special

20. AngelWasHere says:

Meh I would prefer a more business minded celeb. Mark Cuban sounds about right, but I don’t really know him so I can’t be sure if I would like him.

21. The Rookie says:

Mark Cuban would be perfect for this. Hope he is chosen. George Lopez can host a variety or game show on NBC; seems more related to his expertise.

22. c-mo says:

Can we get a different option? I’m not a fan of either hosting this show. Although I love the irony of Lopez…

23. damroberts744 says:

I think Mark Cuban would be the best predecessor if we are looking for someone similar. For a complete revamp? Lopez could be fun.

24. madamj56 says:

Ridiculous. Donald Trump IS The Apprentice franchise. Who would even watch without him?

25. Laci_Loo says:

I’d definitely prefer Mark Cuban — as long as he still does Shark Tank. Mark cannot leave that.

26. Lizo says:

I’d prefer Mark Cuban; having someone with a business background seems to make the most sense for the show. I’d also be open to Martha Stewart doing it.

27. Ron says:

There’s little subtlety in that choice, huh NBC? I think George is a pretty bad choice. Trump is an ignorant loud-mouth, but at least he knows business, which is the point of the show. Maybe I don’t know much about George Lopez, but when I think of him, I think actor and comedian, not successful and knowledgable businessman. Mark Cuban obviously makes much more sense, though who knows if he’ll want to do it since he’s already doing Shark Tank. If NBC is going to carry on with the show without Trump, then they need to make an intelligent decision for a replacement, and George Lopez isn’t it.

28. mary says:

George Lopez? hunh? Mark Cuban-ok,

29. Andi says:

No. Can’t say much else. Just NO!!! Mark is a better, smarter choice.

30. graze says:

I would never watch the Apprentice with a comic, what would be the point of a comic leading a sort of business show. Trump made it funny just by being himself. George Lopez, NO, just no. Never liked his brand of humor, cannot see him as the circus ringleader corralling D list stars on this show.

Mark Cuban would be great or a here’s a thought, a Latino business giant that can act/be on camera if that’s how they want to go.

31. John Davis says:

I really like the format of the show, but had to stop watching recent seasons because Trump is so awful +1

32. Chris says:

I can’t decide if this is racist or not. Not that I don’t like George, but it’s like an obvious and unbelievable choice. It’s so not subtle.

33. Melissa says:

George Lopez makes no sense at all. The whole point of the Apprentice franchise was having people compete to be Trump’s apprentice. Granted the celebrity one was for the celebs to raise money, but the tasks are still for his company. What does George have that would need the same level of tasks done?

I could see Mark Cuban though as a possibility if they truly feel the need to continue the series. He at least has his own sort of “empire” that could open up interesting tasks. While I did watch the last season somewhat though, I’d be perfectly ok with them letting this go along with Trump. Create something else to help celebs raise money.

34. Melissa says:

I could see Mark Cuban though as a possibility if they truly feel the need to continue the series. He at least has his own sort of “empire” that could open up interesting tasks. While I did watch the last season somewhat, I’d be perfectly ok with them letting this go along with Trump. Create something else to help celebs raise money.

35. Sherry says:

Well I don’t think it’s going to fly. I like George Lopez, but like Trump said, they have tried about at least a dozen different versions, and they all sunk very quickly.

36. Elia Murphy says:

I don’t think anyone can replace Donald trump. I’m not going to watch it any more.

37. Catina Tate says:

After what Trump said about Mexicans, I think replacing him with George Lopez would be the greatest nonverbal comeback to his verbal attack, and serve Trump right! I cannot not believe that such ignorance came out of his mouth. If his children aren’t ashamed of him, they should be; of course, he apparently has no shame. How to Lose a Presidential Campaign in 10 days. Step 1: alienate and tick off the Hispanic voters
    Step 2: Enrage the veterans, military personnel, and their family & friends who are voters.
    Step 3: (just waiting to see who is verbally attacked next)….at this rate the only voters he MAY have on his side will be ISIS(spelling?) Or some other radicals that hate Americans, seriously someone duct tape his mouth before he spews again.

• Catina Tate says:

But I do agree with most that Lopez doesn’t seem to appear serious enough or pull off off the authoritative image he would need to replace Trump.

38. scott says:

They did not fire Trump…..he refused to do another season because he is RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT. Go take your propaganda somewhere else.

39. willwill420 says:

Y’all are crazy because NBC should hire both as the hosts of the show duhhhhh