Comic-Con

Arrow Cast & EP Preview 'Olicity' Road Trip, Premiere's Shocking Ending

Put it in your calendars now, Arrow fans: By 8:59/7:59c on Oct. 7, your world will be completely rocked.

The CW series’ Season 4 premiere is “one of those episodes where, [when] watching, you’re gonna go, ‘What?!?!” star John Barrowman told Michael Ausiello when the show’s case stopped at TVLine’s Comic-Con interview suite at the Hard Rock Hotel.

“Especially the last scene,” Paul Blackthorne chimed in. “That last scene is gonna haunt the rest of the season.”

PHOTO Arrow @ Comic-Con: Check Out Oliver’s New Season 4 Look!

Blackthorne, Barrowman, castmates Stephen Amell, Katie Cassidy, Willa Holland, David Ramsey and Emily Bett Rickards — as well as executive producer Wendy Mericle — also excitedly previewed the arrival of Neal McDonough’s Damien Darhk (which TVLine broke earlier that day).

Unlike the villains of seasons past, “Damien doesn’t have any code. He’s just pure evil,” Mericle said.

Also up for discussion: The Olicity road trip (and whether we’ll see any of it when the series returns), what Malcolm’s tenure as the League of Assassins’ head bad guy will look like and what Amell finds “gratifying” about shows such as The FlashMarvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.Gotham and the like.

Press PLAY to watch it all unfold.

1. Pia says:

PAUL BLACKTHORNE IS BRITISH!?

2. Sammy says:

Oh no. The last scene of the season 3 premiere was Sara’s death and that haunted the rest of the season is the WORST way. OMG! I hoped for something lighter this year. But anything would be better than season 3. I’m liking the sound of everything else though. Thanks for this, TVLine!

• Josh says:

It probably won’t be as bad as Sara dying cause this season is gonna be lighter. I think the twist will be Sara is alive. They are gonna set up LOT on Arrow and The Flash in first half of the season. I think the end scene is she’s alive and she attacks Team Arrow cause she’s nutty lol

• Sammy says:

Of course! I forgot about that. YES! I’m so happy Sara’s coming back. But my mind immediately went to something bad because well, this is Arrow. Ha.

• Sil says:

I agree. She has to be resurrected for the legends show. But, we’ve heard that Damian Darhk will be from the start, possibly episode 1. He might be the one to introduce The New Sara alive since he took some Lazarus Pit water when he left the League. I’m excited to see the new Arrow with Darhk, Sara’s return, hoping for a great season. Thanks TV Line.

3. Trish says:

I’m going to be the one to put it out there that I think this cast is where the Blind item truth will be revealed. I’m calling it now. Dish, Michael!

4. Mars says:

Awesome!
    Roll on October!

5. Luis says:

Given the way the S3 premiere ended, we may need to put ourselves in restraints before S4 begins.

6. I want to know if Hal Jordan is showing up in the flashbacks given the reference to Coast City.

• Liz says:

Yeah, I think he will. Oliver has a friend in Coast City and they usually link the flashbacks to the present day. It’d be interesting because I think most fans were expecting Russa/Bratva flashbacks this season so it’d be a twist!

7. Liz says:

Interesting. Looking forward to the new season. Hopefully lots of happier things, including Olicity! I’m thrilled about a happier Oliver. He deserves it after everything he’s endured.

Also, just want to say I’m pretty impressed with the new show runner, Wendy. Seems level headed so far. Thumbs up.

• cody says:

wendy has been the show runner since season 1

• Kat says:

No she hasn’t. She’s been on the writing team but she’s just joined as co-showrunner this season. Marc Guggenheim even introduced everyone to her on twitter. Go look it up.

8. GildedRose says:

Sounds like Season 4 is going to be really exciting. I can’t wait for October. Looking forward to the stories of Oliver, Felicity, Diggle, Olicity, and (hopefully!) more Quentin this year.

9. brenna says:

I absolutely love this cast. They seem like so much fun and nice. Really looking forward to Season 4. So many characters/stories to be excited about.

10. Amy says:

(Not a spoiler, just a hope) Please, please, please let Damien Darhk be Felicity’s dad!!

11. Chris J says:

Did it seem like Emily was rather fascinated by Katie throughout?

12. LC says:

All sounds promising. Lots to be excited about. Interested in learning more about the characters. Don’t let us down this season please!

13. Nicholas says:

Great cast interview, looking forward to season 4. Katie looked very bored and at times disinterested. I caught her looking at her nails when Wendy was speaking, I thought that was rather rude.

14. Gregory says:

YES SEASON 4 WHERE YOU AT??? After all the update from SDCC I am really excited for season 4, DD, Barrowman is back, Olicity will happen with less drama..we all know a happy Felicity means a happy show, so heck ya give it to me. And that new Green Arrow suit, I literally wet my pants couple of times.

YO why is Laurel playing with her fingers though, she didn’t seem like she wanted to be there…. and does her shirt say RAD??? No comment about that.

15. Gemma says:

So, which female character are they killing off this time?

• Louise says:

Please don’t put that thought out into the universe. Enough with fridging female characters. I can’t!

16. menna says:

excited for season 4 green arrow , olicity , dig will get a mask it already sounds way better than s3 thank god

17. Jenn says:

The actress that plays Thea Queen (Willa Howard) looks desperately thin! Scary! Katie Cassidy at her already tiny size looks healthy compared to Willa.

18. Deem says:

Great interview… ☺️👏🏻👏🏻
    Can’t wait to see all the new stuffs that the producers want to show us… Olicity in a new dynamic, the new suit ( Hot ) Green Arrow, Diggle and more….
    Bring it S4

19. I’m thinking the shocking thing will have to do with Felicity’s dad. Maybe he’s not who we think he is? Food for thought. Excited about Season 4!

20. Joey Padron says:

great interview with the cast. excited about season 4!

21. Lysh says:

I hope that shocking, haunting ending doesn’t bring the rest of the season down like Sara’s death. So depressing all the time. Otherwise I’m so pumped for season four!

22. Angel says:

I appreciate Stephen thinking he paved the way for other super hero shows but lets not forget Smallville paved the way for Arrow

• There were plenty of Smallville fans who were unhappy with how they chose to write it, and Arrow is a far different show, with a very different air about it. I’d like to think it (Arrow) succeeded on it’s own merits, and *then* paved the way for more superhero shows.

23. Jp says:

Love SA and EBR and Wendy. Very articulate 😆

24. Rambling Joe says:

At the end of the interview where they talk about how ARROW has started this modern era of superhero shows on TV isn’t exactly true. It really started with SMALLVILLE. That show set the style for the current superhero shows: The ‘season long big-bad villain’; the ‘villain of the week’; the ‘team surrounding the hero’. ***** While the CW explored the possibilities of spinoffs from that show – AQUAMAN and THE GREEN ARROW, it never pulled the trigger. I think part of the problem for the SMALLVILLE spinoffs was the tight constraints DC Comics put on SMALLVILLE because they knew they wanted to bring Superman back to the big screen, and didn’t want to dilute the brand or story because of a TV show. And how do you tie in actual DC heroes when SMALLVILLE isn’t Superman, at least not yet. ***** SMALLVILLE’s biggest problem was sticking with the ‘no tights, no flights’ rule for the entire ten years the show ran. I don’t think they ever thought the show would last that long. That mantra was put in place in the beginning to stipulate this wasn’t going to be Superboy, but more of a story about how Clark Kent dealt with his rapidly growing set of powers and abilities. After the first five seasons, they should have dropped the ‘no tights, no flights’, but that was when SUPERMAN RETURNS had just hit the big screen to less than enthusiastic results. I don’t know if Tom Welling was reluctant to put on the suit out of fear of being typecast was part of the reason they kept the rule for the entire ten years or not. ***** The biggest problem I have when you start tying all these hero shows to the same universe is that they are ALL IN THE SAME UNIVERSE. If ARROW, FLASH, LOT, SUPERGIRL all share the same universe how do you not at least mention other heroes like Superman, Batman, Green Lantern? ***** Another aspect of sharing the same universe between shows is the style of each show. You go from ARROW which had no super-powered beings, to FLASH with powered meta-humans to SUPERGIRL -aliens to LOT catapulting back and forth through time. Its kind of like watching ARROW’s Diggle react to seeing the Flash for the first time during last night’s rerun of FLASH. You just have to go with it. ***** I thought SMALLVILLE was good (for the most part), I like ARROW, though I think it’s a bit too dark, and I think FLASH is the best yet.

• Smallville was about Superman’s origins. He didn’t put on a suit until the end of the last season. That’s why it was called ‘Smallville’ and not ‘Superman’. Arrow is about a hero’s journey, always has been. Smallville was clearly about Clark before he calls himself Superman, and is not comparable to shows that are clearly about costumed heroes. So yes, Arrow *is* the beginning of shows about superheroes.

25. Dee says:

They should have a Halloween episode where Emily wears the Supergirl outfit. That would show everyone what I have known all along – that she should be starring in Supergirl instead of whatshername. Both Supergirl and Arrow would be better off for it.

26. alex says:

I wonder how they plan to top the end of last season’s premiere cos that was pretty shocking.

27. Sunny says:

I’ m thinking Felicity will end up dead.

28. di inscoe says:

I just want badly to see this infatuation OVER WITH!!!!!! Oliver/Arrow belongs with Canary/ Laurel!!! ALL kinds of chemistry, CAN’T SEE IT FROM OLIVER AND FELICITY!

• You think a pairing that Marc Guggenheim admitted on his Tumblr was starting it’s build-up in Season 2 is a mere infatuation? Tell you what: if Roy comes back with a bi-racial baby, then maybe they’ll do GA/BC. Because that’s canon, too.