Exclusive

Major Crimes Sneak Peek: Can Provenza Convince Rusty to Aid and Abet?

Loading video...

Detective Provenza is ready to take a big step tonight on Major Crimes (TNT, 9/8c). Or, at least mostly ready.

In the episode “Personal Effects,” Provenza’s lady friend Patrice (guest star Dawnn Lewis) moves in with him, resulting in a “redecorating” of his place. In the exclusive sneak peek above, Provenza hires Rusty to help get rid of the stuff of his that has been designated for charity — the operative words being “designated for.”

Elsewhere in the episode: When the squad comes across a pile of bones, they fall into a web of connections as they find their victim has an unnerving past, while Rusty continues to pursue his investigation of the Alice case with the help of a new friend (or “friend,” as Provenza might put it).

1. liame says:

Why has the series turned into the Rusty show? Is this guy a family member of a writer on this show or something? This guy gets more airtime than all the other actors combined. I fast forward through his scenes unless it has to do with a case the TEAM is working on. Enough is enough already, geez.

• Charlene says:

I happen to enjoy Rusty and his storyline.

• Mara says:

I like and enjoy Rusty scenes too. However, I’d really like it if they paid equally as much attention to the main character: Sharon! We don’t know much about her, especially not about her private life (friends, parents, siblings, hobbies, dreams, fears etc.) I’m hoping now that they are exploring shandy (awww <3) we'll also get to know more about Sharon and the part of her life we know nothing about so far.
        Very excited for tonight's episode!
        Thanks for sharing this clip with us TVLine :)
        Major Crimes is my fave show! Captain Raydor FTW! :D

• Kim R says:

I do as well. I never get the feeling it is “the Rusty show”.

• Me too, Charlene. I love that he realizes he could have easily become “Alice” and wants to make sure she’s identified. Case hit very close to home for him.

• Lindy says:

As do I. He has improved character wise since the show started and is now showing maturity and responsibility. Don’t quite understand the continued animosity by certain people to his character. This is an ensemble cast and I enjoy each and everyone of them.

• Sam says:

I agree with you. I fast forward through all of his scenes now. I used to enjoy his character until they made him such a major part of the show. It’s too much.

• HAP says:

Graham Patrick Martin is unrelated to any of the writers or producers. His principal work prior to this series was playing the younger brother of Jennifer Lawrence on the Bill Envall show, and playing Eldrige in a recurring role on 2 1/2 Men.

• Andrew says:

@ llame – I don’t think it has turned into the Rusty show at all. Maybe the reason it might’ve seemed that way was because his therapy session with Dr. Joe was intercut with the case the team was investigating.

It seemed to be more Amy-centric than Rusty-centric—since the episode seemed to focus on her trying to protect a witness over the course of the episode.

Since Rusty is loosely based on experiences the show’s creator, James Duff, had after coming out to his own family (he ran away for a short time like Rusty), I’m sure he favors the character of Rusty (and his journey), so it’s likely he isn’t going anywhere. But, I don’t think it’s the “Rusty show.”

To me, the show has an ensemble cast, meaning that each character is relevant to whatever story even if they aren’t the main focus of the episode. That’s why the storylines seem to focus on one character one week and another the next.

• Jim says:

I agree with you 100%. This is one reason that I love my DVR. I also fast forward Rusty’s scenes. His acting isn’t the greatest and he certainly shouldn’t be allowed in the detectives area during investigations. He gets way too much airtime that’s for sure. Let’s send him away to college and/or write him out of the program.

2. Eric7740 says:

I don’t mind Rusty, I like the character and the actor. I just don’t like this Alice storyline at all I’m not sure how it fits in with the rest of the season. I’m sure it will be explained but right now I’m just a little perplexed.

3. Nitemar says:

OMG, this has turned out as Rusty’s show! Whatever happened to Sharon who has taken the back seat this season, are they the same writers of The Closer? This never happened to Brenda Leigh!

• Mariana Trench says:

This is the reason I quit watching this show after the first season. The undue concentration on Rusty was just something I wasn’t interested in. I wanted to see the continuation of the beloved characters from The Closer, and instead we get The Rusty Show, and from the subject of this article, I see it is continuing. Too bad.

4. Sue says:

Wow I wish the Rusty plot line would go away. That kid is so annoying and it draws the show down with him moping every episode.

5. Jarreau says:

I can’t wait to see if sharon and flynn will move to the next level in their relationship. Major crimes is one of my fav shows! Thanks tv line.:)

6. ljd says:

Classic Provenza about not being the one to lie…great clip. Can’t wait to see the whole episode.

7. Pat says:

I love Major Crimes and all of the characters on it, including Rusty. I love how Sharon has adopted him and has given him the love and stable home, that he so desperately needed in his life. So here is to many more fantastic seasons of Major Crimes.

8. ernest ratliff says:

This Rusty character is the most annoying and whiny character in the history of television. That is why I do not and will not watch Major Crimes again unless RUSTY is removed from the show.

• Doug Henning says:

Gee…. the show is the #1 show on TNT… I guess you won’t be missed much since many of us enjoy all aspects of the show.. In my view, Major Crimes is a better show than The Closer since there is less focus on the main character and you have seen aspects of the entire cast throughout the season… Didn’t see much… In my opinion, the main loss besides Brenda is Chief Pope but of course the actor playing him has gone on to bigger things..

9. Linda says:

Does anyone know the actor’s name that played the murder victim’s AA sponsor ?

10. Kathy Felps says:

I love that this show features mature romances (for a change)! Rador and Flynn and Provenza and Patrice! Love them all!

11. Tom says:

Rusty is whiny and tiresome. This is supposed to be a cop show, right? “Rusty scenes” are a good time to let the cat in or go to the bathroom.

12. Arline says:

Patience, viewers, We’re learning about Sharon through the relationship with Rusty.
    This character has bloomed all over the place since she first appeared on
    The Closer! Besides, do we really want to know everything about these characters? Why would we watch if not to have bits revealed slowly and deftly through solid dialogue and acting? For episodic TV, Major Crimes is a major hit! The ensemble cast just gets better. The stories are quirky, ranging from almost Barney Miller to almost Life on the Streets. Don’t miss an episode – we just might meet a sibling of Sharon’s!

13. saandra says:

I cannot stand rusty! he makes me vomit.why is he there anyway.I thought this was about crime,not a wimpy dump kid,please get him OFF.I guess I’ll have to watch the river boat people,starting on Monday.So thanks a lot,now I have something GOOD to watch,for a change!

14. Kay don says:

Please make rusty go away