Hannibal & Aquarius Move to Saturday

Aquarius Hannibal Saturday Move

Serial killer, party of two?

Hannibal and Aquarius now have a standing date on Saturday nights, TVLine has confirmed.

The change, first reported on Twitter by Wall Street Journal media reporter Joe Flint, makes sense in the case of the recently cancelled Hannibal: NBC essentially is burning off the remaining episodes of the Hannibal Lecter thriller’s third and final season, like it did with Smash.

But less than a month ago, the Charles Manson drama Aquarius was (surprisingly) renewed for a second season — a status that makes its weekend move puzzling. Flint reports that the change is to “appease [NBC] affiliates not happy with their numbers.”

Aquarius‘ May premiere averaged 5.7 million total viewers and a 1.0 rating; by its July 3 episode, those numbers had sunk to 2.4 mil/0.4.

Dateline Thursday Mysteries will fill the 9-11 pm block left open by the dramas’ departures, starting this Thursday. Aquarius will air Saturdays at 9/8c followed by Hannibal at 10.

1. Maybe they’re rescinding the 2nd season on Aquarius because Saturday especially in the summer is just burn off territory

2. Dick Whitman says:

I guess this is the last nail in the coffin.

3. wrstlgirl says:

Well I guess sometimes the television gods do listen!!!! This is great news for the ridiculously crowded Thursday night line up. Agree that the move for Aquarius is very weird though. But I can start watching Hannibal again. I had to dump it because I just couldn’t make room for it. Too many good shows on Thursday night.

4. the one good thing is that without Hannibal I will have no reason to ever tune in to NBC at all.

5. Pamela Baker says:

Since there has been nothing worth watching on Saturday nights for a long time, it is a blessing so please realize that there are lots of people out there hoping for something other than sports to watch!

• Tenney says:

Actually, BBC America has had a couple of goods shows on Saturday night. First they had on Orphan Black and now that is over for the season, they have a fantastic show called Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.

• Wendy Testaburger says:

I completely agree: Saturday is a great night on BBCAM: I’m loving J.S. and Mr. Norell and soon The Musketeers will be back for another round of great swashbuckling!

6. Azrielen says:

Bull. I don’t have Saturdays off work. :(

• obriensg1 says:

Yikes people, get a DVR. Watch online. Buy a season pass. Who cares what night a show airs? I often watch my programs on break at work with my tablet

• SW says:

obriensg1, with a show like Hannibal, it’s extremely important that it’s fans not only watch live, but also livetweet while it airs, to show prospective streaming sites like Hulu and Yahoo that it has enough of an online presence to warrant saving it. That’s why people care if they can’t watch live or not.

• Moria says:

Unless you’re a Neilson house, what you watch & when makes zero difference.You’re actually better off watching online at some other time. At least that gets counted.

• SW says:

That actually isn’t true with Hannibal, since it’s already been cancelled. Just today the De Laurentis Company (who produces Hannibal, and who has been very communicative with the Hannibal fans every single day) told us that ratings really don’t matter for a prospective pick-up at this point. All of the discussions have been centered around the online fan presence and participation, and even at Comic-Con this weekend, Martha De Laurentis told us that the best thing to do was to stay active on social media because that’s what matters now. The Nielsen ratings no longer any effect on whether or not it finds a new home.

7. Mr. Tran K says:

With Hannibal moving to Saturdays, looks like we may never know what the series is going to end and people still have been ignored by watching shows on NBC. Are millions of people still not entertaining instead of watching another network show like ABC, CBS, Fox or The CW? Go whine and complain all you want.

• Moving Hannibal I understand. NBC is coming off a disastrous 2014-15 fall season where every show was cancelled except for The Mysteries of Laura(Which should have been cancelled) which was renewed for 13 episodes. I have ZERO faith in most of the people who are employed by NBC. It seems that they are loaded with people who have no idea what they are doing. Renewing LAURA for 13 episodes probably saved the jobs of a lot of people who should have been fired, not including the people involved in the making of LAURA.

8. leet52 says:

Saturdays worked out OK for Orphan Black and Hell on Wheels

9. Jeff Lutz says:

In my case, I watched all Aquarius episodes the first week of release since they were all made available. So NBC and it’s affiliates need to be on board with that model if they are going to do it.

• Luanne says:

I did the same, and I really enjoyed the show. Glad it was renewed. Agree that they can’t expect weekly numbers to be up when they encourage binging up front.

10. Lara says:

Since I live in Utah, Hannibal is on on Saturdays anyway for me. NBC won’t air it here (stupid conservative bumholes), but oddly enough, it’s aired on the CW on Saturdays. I wonder how this will affect it here.

11. kirads09 says:

I just cannot believe how NBC is treating Hannibal. Truly one of the best shows ever on network TV in every way. Now relegated to a horrible Saturday timeslot? SMH Love Duchovny but just couldn’t get into Aquarius.

I WOULD love to say I am now going to totally boycott NBC once Hannibal finishes. Done with Grimm for good after last season which I felt was simply awful. However, I confess to a great deal of Blacklist love still, and Blindspot has me really intrigued. So there are a couple things I
    will at least initially tune into to see where they go.

12. Dan says:

Wait.. wait… I could be mistaken so feel free to correct me BUT didn’t NBC make the ENTIRE Season 1 of ‘Aquarius’ available on-demand (all Episodes at once, like Netflix) so of course numbers are going to be down. Sure, not everyone is into the Binge-a-thon method of tv watching but a lot of people are so I’d say a good percentage of ‘Aquarius’ are mixed viewers on Live viewing v. Binging (it’s Summer after all) not much else to watch so why not spend a few hours watching the whole thing?

• Moria says:

Yes, they did do that, which is how they justified renewing it – they claim the online viewing numbers were good enough. However it’s such a bizarre choice. One assumes they did it in order to build lots of buzz which would drive people to watch on tv also. Instead pretty much no one is talking about it except a few people saying the show is either “meh” or “bad”. It’s making people not watch and driving ratings down. Take Lifetime’s Unreal instead, they put the first 4-5 shows of the season online. They’re trying to rebrand the channel, the show is getting buzz because it’s amazing, and people who wouldn’t watch Lifetime are catching up online. I have no idea what NBC was thinking with Aquarius. Really bad idea.

13. Larc says:

Friday night is hospice for TV shows. Saturday night is the mortuary.

14. Todd says:

I don’t understand all the hatred toward NBC for cancelling Hannibal. By all rights, it probably should have been cancelled after its first season due to its low ratings. Instead, it got THREE seasons. If anyone is to be blamed, it should be the viewers who stopped watching the show. The ratings for this season were terrible by all standards. There was no way NBC was going to renew it with ratings THAT low. It lasted for three seasons because the rest of the networks programming was crap.

• The Grinch says:

That’s for sure. You people should be thanking NBC for 3 seasons, like Bryan Fuller did. I was stunned when it got renewed after year one and more so after season 2. This year the numbers are abysmal. Fuller did the show no favors this season with the ponderous pace and the ultra pretentious visuals increased a hundredfold. With the numbers they have I’m surprised it didn’t go straight to the website.

15. Clandestine Green says:

NBC will eventually announce that it is retracting Aquarius’ season 2 renewal and that it will finish with a new 2 hour event movie.

16. Valerie Brown says:

I saw when Hannibal began to appeal to adult, thinking minds it was doomed to fail. Add soon as a television show becomes filled with art & beauty & not just about who creatively donit & slashed it, people in the US are not intelligent enough to pay attention. Sorry about that. I love the show & Mad in particular. Hate the fact, deeply, it’s leaving.

17. Dave says:

I love when salt is sprinkled in my wounds.

18. Louise Rittmiller says:

I finally find a show that is macabre and intelligent and the network eighty-sixes the show. Hannibal is one of the best thrillers on TV. He is charming, intelligent, and cunningly insane. I’m so disappointed. So much for watching NBC. I’ll get my thrills elsewhere.

19. Kimberly says:

This is why I don’t watch much of NBC. The few good shows they have get moved around or canceled. How do you cancel a show (Hannibal) when only 3 episodes into the 3rd season have aired. Big mistake NBC!

20. Stacie says:

Will Hannibal still come on NBC & the same time?

21. John Z. says:

They should have left Hannibal on Friday night and keep Aquarius on Thursday.

22. Kim says:

I absolutely adore Aquarius. A smart, sexy show.

23. Chrissy says:

I just started watching hannibal ,only now to hear its canceled. So cant say much on it but I love aquaris so far.its strange yes but its got potential.