Comic-Con

Supergirl Stars Talk Casting Drama — and Who's Stoked for 'Makeout Scenes With Superman'

Landing a coveted role on CBS’ buzzy freshman drama Supergirl was no easy task — just ask Glee alum Melissa Benoist about her three months of screen testing — so forgive the cast if they’re not about to get caught up in any social-media negativity surrounding their worthiness, thank you very much.

In a freewheeling chat with TVLine’s Michael Ausiello from our Comic-Con suite at the Hard Rock Hotel, Mehcad Brooks (True Blood) brushed off criticisms about the network’s decision to cast him in the role of Jimmy Olsen – despite the fact that, in comic-book lore anyhow, the character is white. “If somebody has a problem, judge me on the content of my scenes — and my ‘character,'” he says, as his co-stars offer their encouragements.

Chyler Leigh (Grey’s Anatomy), meanwhile, who plays the superhero’s sister Alex Danvers, hinted that all may not be as it initially seems with her character. Smash grad Jeremy Jordan, however, teased that his Winn Schott’s crush on the titular heroine will be screamingly obvious from the jump-off.

Press PLAY above for the full Q&A, then hit the comments with your anticipation level for Supergirl!

1. Mr. Tran K says:

CBS really has high hopes for Supergirl if everyone can complain about that but I’m looking forward to it come October 26th. David Harewood’s character Hank Henshaw is going to be a bit of a baddie during the first season but I’m wondering if his new role maybe just as darker than his Homeland character David Estes. Curious to see how Jeremy Jordan can handled a little comic relief into the mix and I can’t wait to see more of the super villains that will appear on the show based on the DC Comics.

• Mr. Tran K says:

BTW, I would be a little surprise if Supergirl gets the post Super Bowl episode for the big game come February 7, 2016 on CBS.

2. nate says:

Pete from Smallville was white in the comics but black in the show. Yall still mad about that?

3. The show is messed up. They cast a great lead, but she’s playing a broken concept. As for Harewood, he’d have been better off playing Mr Bones, the ACTUAL head of the DEO who happens to actually be black. As for Jimmy, he’s okay in the pilot, but he might as well play Keith White, Perry’s adopted black son or something. There are MANY characters in the comics that never get to shine off the page because they tend to be ignored for being unknown outside the comics. That kind of thinking never works. If they could create TJ White, Perry’s son, for the Superboy TV show in the 80’s, they could have used his actual adopted son from the actual comics of the 90’s.

4. Malcolm Mao says:

I don’t mind Jimmy being black (there’s many variations on races and even genders on the same character in the comics themselves). However, I do mind that he’s tall and buff. In the comics, Jimmy is always this scrawny kid that not only has a hero adoration for Superman, but is even Clark Kent’s sorta lap dog. Now there comes this tall strong guy with a complete different demeanor. I saw the pilot (oops, was I not supposed to?!!) and I think he acts ok. He’s just wrong for the character as it is known in the comics. Let’s see what happens…

• Well, consider the time frame. That I had no problem with. It’s been 12 years since Kara arrived on Earth, which if her narration regarding Krypton’s destruction is to be believed, means Superman was 24, which makes him 36 now. If Jimmy was like 16 when he met Clark, that would make him 28 now.

• lame says:

Doesn’the seem like many people care about digging that deeply into the back story. Most are waiting to see if this series can get off to a good start. We’very seen mythologres altered before to fit through narrative.

• Ralph says:

I agree. If they are going to change the race of an iconic comic book character they should play the role as written. I would have been fine if they had cast a black actor that fit the part. Someone slightly less socially awkward than Steve Urkel.

5. Joey Padron says:

Good interview with the cast. Looking forward to watch first episode of the show!

6. ninergrl6 says:

I’m so excited for this show and so happy for Jeremy Jordan in particular. I’ve seen him perform & met him a few times, and he’s always been personable and gracious and humble. I love seeing good things happen to good people, so I’m really rooting for SG to be a success.

7. Rich says:

You know, diversity is a tricky thing. Making Jimmy a different race doesn’t matter because race doesn’t matter to the character. Heck, for that matter you could take Superman, Lois, Kara, etc., and change them and ultimately it doesn’t matter. People might be shocked by the change, but at their core none of those characters race has anything to do with what they truly represent.
    That being said, if you’re going to start taking liberties with story/universe elements you should at least be consistent with your changes, Hank Henshaw was a MAJOR storyline in the Superman/DC Comics world. Making him AA completely invalidates that entire storyline. I’m ok with taking some creative liberties trying to translate the printed world to a live one, but you really have to be careful how you do it. For every Ironman and Guardian’s of the Galaxy you have a Howard the Duck and Daredevel.
    I’m willing to give the showrunners a little latitude with all the good work they’ve done on Flash and Arrow, but this could very quickly take a bad turn…