Urban Cowboy Pilot Ordered at Fox

Urban Cowboy Series Pilot

Urban Cowboy rides again.

Fox has ordered a one-hour drama pilot based on the 1980 John Travolta movie, the network announced Thursday.

Per the official logline: “Fueled with energetic music, [Urban Cowboy] follows Kyle and Gaby, two star-crossed young lovers, as they pursue their dreams and passions through the sweat of line-dancing in honky-tonks, the grime of the oil refineries and the glamor of modern Texas. It’s about family legacies, starting over, finding true love and the American dream.”

RELATED Fox’s Grease Live! Taps Graceland Star Aaron Tveit as Danny Zuko

The pilot, a “modern reimagining” of the romantic drama that co-starred Debra Winger, will be written, directed and executive-produced by Craig Brewer (Hustle & Flow, the Footloose remake). If ordered to series, Brewer will then executive-produce alongside Robert Evans (a producer on the original Urban Cowboy), Sue Naegle and Chris Levinson (Tyrant).

Paramount TV and 20th Century Fox TV will co-produce.

Does the idea of an Urban Cowboy series make you say “Yee-haw!” or “Dang nabbit!”? Sound off in the comments!

1. Steven says:

This sounds awful. Pass from me.

2. Ralph says:

Wow. Something NO ONE asked for!!!

3. tallee says:

Always loved the movie. Would be interested in giving it a shot anyway.

4. Jared says:

No thanks..lol

5. Te Kwan Bei says:

So stupid

6. BrightLight says:

How many movies does FOX need to make into TV shows anyway?

7. patricia says:

Bleh. Nothing can hold a candle to the original movie. I hate that so many things are being recycled!! And why change the names? Bad call!!

8. Jo says:

Puhleeze. You can’t improve perfect. Please don’t even try.

9. I would love to see it happen. I was there standing beside JT when came to Gilleys the first night to check our Gilleys out before doing Urban Cowboy.
    Long live URBAN COWBOY.
    No, it won’t be likethe original but it keeps our Gilleys alive!

10. Jackie says:

I can’t wait. Kyle must be a cutie. Gaby is a stupid name, just sayin. Thanks

11. ninamags says:

A lot of the success from that movie came from the music. (I still listen to The Devil Went Down To Georgia from time to time) so how are they gonna handle that? I wouldn’t be interested in listening to anything country music-wise.

12. JAO says:

Nah. I’m passing.

13. kdastous says:

Being an original Gilley Rat and having lived the lifestyle portrayed in the original movie, I am anxious (as all of us who called Gilley’s home are) to see where this will take off to. Unfortunately, the line dancing will take away from the storyline. How can you grow closer and really get to know someone by dancing side by side? Actually, it should have lots of 2-stepping and romantic waltzes and maybe a Texas Swing or two. Those are the Texas dances that set hearts on fire! I raise my can of Gilley beer to the success of the new storyline!

Kathianne

14. david farkas says:

I like to laugh at the original Urban Cowboy. They were not real cowboys. I hated how they referred to themselves as cowboys. I take it as an insult for them to call themselves as cowboys. I’ve forgotten more about cattle and horses than all of those wannabe s ever knew.

• ninamags says:

They never said they were “real” cowboys. “It depends on what you think a real cowboy is.”

Wasn’t the movie about workers in the refineries who let loose at night at a bar? Most of them probably had never been on a horse. It was just the idea of a cowboy: boots, hats, jeans. No one thought they were riding a real broncin’ buck whilst on the mechanical bull.

C’mon on.

15. judith says:

yeee haaw for sure!

16. Mary says:

Do NOT call it “Urban Cowboy,” there are entirely too many fans of the one and ONLY “Urban Cowboy” that will never watch it…BTW–you guys DO realize that Gilley’s burned down, don’t you?? There is NO venue that could EVER have that same “feel” to it!!

17. Carman (coolcjfan) says:

Yee Haw!!

18. Roni Jones says:

I woul love to see this happen!! So tired of murder, detectives etc. need something with history about what happened in that USA years ago. Good movie, should be excellent series!!! Yee Haw❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

19. J Mirelez says:

I am too so tired of the same old series. Let’s get something going besides another CSI/Secret Agent series. Just way too many murders and rapists series with fifth in it. I am so excited to have something based in Texas. If anyone know anything about the “Power That Be” backing this Pilot – then you know – it can’t just a remake – it will be a Pilot with its own following. Wait until the Pilot comes out before judging and sounding off with negativities. I for one am expecting everyone from Texas to watch this and put us back on the map where we belong. Texas Proud….. Yee Haw!!!!