Fox's Grease: Live Taps Graceland Star Aaron Tveit as Danny Zuko

Grease Live Aaron Tveit

Aaron Tveit, you’re the one that Fox wants.

The Graceland leading man and Broadway actor will play Danny Zuko in the network’s live staging of Grease.

As previously announced, Dancing With the Stars alum/actress Julianne Hough and High School Musical grad Vanessa Hudgens will headline the musical as Sandy and Rizzo, respectively. The cast also includes Scream Queens‘ Keke Palmer (as Marty Maraschino) and Big Time Rush‘s Carlos PenaVega (as Kenickie).

“I’m thrilled and honored to be joining this incredibly talented team of actors in reimagining this classic and beloved musical,” Tveit said in a statement. “Playing Danny Zuko is a dream role and I can’t wait to be a part of all the fun that comes along with performing live on television.”

In addition to his TV roles on Gossip Girl and currently USA Network’s Graceland, Tveit has plenty of musical theater experience. He appeared in the 2012 film adaption of Les Miserables and starred on Broadway in Catch Me If You Can and Next To Normal. He also played the role of Roger in Rent at the Hollywood Bowl in a production directed by Neil Patrick Harris.

The three-hour Grease event airs Sunday, Jan. 31, 2016 at 7/6c.

What do you think about Tveit as Danny? Hit the comments with your thoughts?

1. ktbanks says:

SO. MUCH. YES.

2. ninergrl6 says:

I couldn’t be more thrilled!!! I’ve loved Aaron for years (saw him on Broadway & in concert) and Grease is one of my favorite movies. This is FANTASTIC!!!

3. Bwhit says:

This is awesome. Aaron Tveit is so versatile and his singing voice is beautiful. I know what I’m watching January 31st!

4. Steven says:

Great, now I have to watch this.

5. Shannon says:

This is so AMAZING! Aaron Tveit is incredibly perfect for this role. So far Fox is setting up the live musical way better than NBC.

6. Drew says:

Weirdly old casting for a TV production.

7. TW says:

Well…that explains his hair this season on Graceland.

• Jess says:

Not really – the production is live…and it’s not until January. Since filming for Graceland took place earlier this year…I doubt one has anything to do with the other.

• Bwhit says:

I think he had his hair like that for Assasins in London and Graceland producers probably liked it for the ‘new Mike’.

8. im so unbelievably behind Aaron’s casting as Danny Zucko. I LOVED him as Enjorlas in Les Mis.. He has such a beautiful voice! Can’t wait till January!!

9. Clandestine Green says:

With the exception of Hough…it looks like they are taking the casting seriously so it won’t be another Peter Pan.

10. Elena says:

I wasn’t really interested in seeing the live Grease telecast until now. He is such a great musical theatre performer that I will definitely be watching for him alone. Hopefully the whole production will be as good as he is.

11. Ann says:

Fox is creating an awesome cast. I wouldn’t ever have believed it but they might pull off a quality event performance show!

12. JBC says:

Yes, Yes, Yes.. Love Aaron and have always loved the musical Grease. Can’t wait!!

13. The Squatch says:

I saw him once in a production of Wicked and he was very good. He does an awesome job on Graceland and I think this is the role most musical theater actors love to play so I wish him good luck and I will definitely be watching.

14. JAO says:

Now I’ll watch! Good casting

15. Alecia Bradford says:

Should’ve cast Zac Efron. Looks the part and great acting.

16. cyclone says:

I’ve seen Aaron in many things including on Broadway in Catch Me If You Can (which was a great show btw). To me thought he looks a little too “privileged boy next door” to be Danny Zuko but that’s only because compare the look to John Travolta. I don’t doubt he can pull off the singing and dancing and acting and the look can maybe be changed so we shall see.
    Fun Fact: Aaron was in the running to play Finn Hudson on Glee but was deemed too much of a “pretty boy” by Ryan Murphy.

17. Johnette says:

Travolta and Olivia will always be danny and sandy but my mind is open so I’ll watch the live show I love grease

18. Lhin says:

Want to see Aaron Tveit asap.

19. OMG could FOX not find anyone on the planet younger to play Danny’s part AKA John Travolta (was 23 ) at least believable to be a high school student! I couldn’t watch when I saw how old these guys were. And singing was NO where as good as the original. Awful casting, casting crew should be fired. Julian Hough is cute.