Fall TV Preview

S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 3: That Thing Ate Simmons! — What Happens Next?

Agents of SHIELD Season 3

TVLine hits rewind on the TV season’s biggest “What Happens Next?” finales, then invites you to predict the cliffhanger outcomes

Akin to the saying, “The last step’s a doozy,” the very final, bonus scene of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 2 was an out-of-this-world jawdropper, leaving viewers — as well as perhaps Fitz! — with questions about Simmons’ fate.

After S.H.I.E.L.D. thwarted Afterlife leader Jiaying’s attempted assault on ill-fated Gonzales’ carrier, things were quiet as a church mouse in the cargo hold, where the mysterious Kree stone was being kept safe. Alas, in the course of sweetly/awkwardly asking Simmons out on a date, Fitz apparently dislodged the latch to the containment bin. After he left, Jemma had just noticed the breach when the Kree stone shape-shifted into a wave of ominous goo, splashed out into the room and gobbled her up good.

This much we know about Season 3: A time jump of some undisclosed length will have passed since that final scare. Plus, Elizabeth Henstridge is part of the ABC series’ Comic-Con press tour. So, Simmons is a keeper in some shape or form….

Rewatch the frightful sequence below, then vote on your predicted outcome.

1. Steven says:

The Inhumans believed that the Kree stone was harmful to them in some way. I think it makes Simmons into an anti-Inhuman of some sort, much like the temple possessed Mack back in the middle of the season.

2. Drew says:

She’ll probably be replaced by some evil alien thing and nobody will notice for a while except for Fitz, but everyone just blames his distrust of her on the brain damage that comes and goes as the plot needs it.

• Nick says:

Good call, I completely agree. Plus Whedon-esque shows have a tendency to take the cute, awkward, nerd girl and make her evil, or possessed evil as it usually goes.

• Drew says:

Which always annoys me. I always thought that Willow was enough, without crazy superpowers that made Buffy pretty irrelevant on her own show. And I liked the weird, kinda crazy Fred. But Whedon always seems to feel like being smart means being small, so he turns them into big magical beings.

• dan says:

Changing Fred always bothered me, even though I also liked weird, powerful new Fred. It just seemed like a betrayal, because the character had gone through so much.

• Zayne says:

Haha, Whedon ruins everything. This was a borderline “You are my sunshine” moment. If you were properly traumatized by it like I was, you’ll know what I’m referencing.

3. Mr. Tran K says:

Simmons is still my favorite character from Agents of SHIELD. I predict that she will survive from the Kree stone.

4. Christina says:

She better be back and going on that date with Fitz by December! Still upset about this twist.

5. Tony says:

Comic-book lore is closely aligned to the Kree Stone providing a human with powers to destroy the “Inhumans”, which is tied to how the female version of Captain Marvel obtained her powers. I’m not saying Simmons turns into Captain Marvel, but put me in the camp that she will receive some “benefit” from this stone turning her into the new “villain” for season 3.

• Out of Curiosity says:

It’s exactly what I was thinking. I thought that she would fuse with the stone like how venom fused with Spiderman and be the anti-inhuman. If possible I hope she becomes one of those super cool villains you will love, kinda like Loki

• Olivia says:

Well on one hand I’d love to see Elizabeth have her “Dark Willow” arc because I’m pretty sure it would be cool to see her range as an actress. On the other hand, it better be a temporary thing because a permanent “Dark Simmons” or a change of character à la Illyria would be a disaster.

6. Gerald says:

Please don’t let what happened to Fred on Angel happen to Simmons!!!!!
    Hated Illyria storyline.

7. So …. no surveillance cameras in that place?

• Arik Schneider says:

Fairly certain there are, given how important it seemed to be to Gonzalez. That guy was paranoid enough to probably rig that room to blow if something went bad.

8. Anna says:

I hope Simmons doesn’t become evil, maybe changed, but not evil. I always thought she would make a cute skrull.

9. A says:

Can we bring Trip back somehow? He was my favorite. And I really liked him and Simmons together.

10. Megan says:

Shouldn’t a container like that have a more secure lock than one that can possibly be undone by accident? Also, I’m not so sure Fitz actually unlocked it, considering that it opened from the other side; what kind of door has its lock by the hinges?

• Patrice says:

I agree totally!!!! I think the Kree stone has mind control and made Fitz unlock the door. If you look at him when he leaves the room, he doesn’t look back at her or smile when he’s leaving. You just asked her out on a date and no little wave goodbye or other mushy moment before leaving. Very suspicious!!!

11. So Happy says:

Maybe Simmons will have some kind of power that CAN destroy Inhumans but she will only use it on the Inhumans who mean to harm her S.H.I.E.L.D. team or our world?
    Though, of course, it will take her most of the season to figure out how to use her power correctly.
    In the OTHER box, it did not let me write this out lol.

12. Darlene says:

I’m completely engrossed in the show! I love many of the characters and the writing/acting is top notch, without Saying that I have watched the season’s 1&2, again in 3 day’s, while never slacking on my familyduties nor my job.But what will happen to Simmons?Good question? Though I am truly awaiting with baited breath, I know that we shall all be quite entertained especially, since the writers of the show certainly haven’t let us down yet”But wouldn’t it be fun if the stone let out Simmons as some sort of alien creature look alike and she was completely different and nobody knew? All I know as I can’t wait see you on the other side Aloha

13. James says:

When the Kree stone engulfed her it scared the crap out of me, I really really really really hope she returns, also…..I’m a HUGE fan of the show soooo yeah.

14. The stone turns her into Ms. Marvel and takes on the mission to find all inHumans. Season 3 finale is Simmons Vs. Skye