Scream Recap: Hang Time

Scream Rachel Killed

Last week’s Scream series premiere threw a whole mess of stuff our way: exposition, a severed head and, of course, countless questions. Tuesday’s follow-up hour aimed to answer a few of those brain-busters, but first… another victim!

Armed with a well-placed noose and a misleading phone call, the Lakewood killer sent Audrey’s girlfriend Rachel off to that big victim meet-and-greet in the sky, where Nina’s been hanging out solo for a week — sitting on Pottery Barn furniture, naturally.

Audrey was pretty bummed to learn of her Juliet’s unfortunate balcony experience, as was Emma. In fact, Emma felt so guilty about Rachel’s murder that she decided to spend some time with her corpse at the morgue — because that’s apparently a room anyone’s allowed to waltz into. (And they wonder why people keep getting murked in this town!)

Scream Rachel KilledCAUGHT RED-HEADED | Remember that red stuff we saw on Noah’s forehead at the end of the pilot? You know, the stuff we all assumed was blood? Turns out it was paint, which he used to write “doosh” on Jake’s car. And no, I didn’t misspell that; Noah did, assumedly to throw Jake off his trail, which worked about as well as Nina’s don’t-get-killed-first plan. … And while we’re talking about Noah, let’s all agree now that his lady pal Riley is hiding something. Seriously, “That dragon chick from Game of Thrones“? She’s obviously playing dumb to lower Noah’s defenses — and, you know, to cover the fact that she’s a murderer.

BLAME GAME | Of course, I’m not the only one pointing fingers around here. Kieran seems pretty convinced that Emma should be suspicious of Will, especially after the cheater conveniently showed up at her work right after some hooded weirdo tried to scare her in the alley. Regardless of who was or wasn’t in the hoodie — and I’m not totally ruling out Scream‘s version of Sarah Koenig, for the record — I’m more disappointed that Emma appears to be giving Will a second chance.

CAN YOU FEAR ME NOW? | And what would an episode of Scream be without a creepy phone chat with the Lakewood killer? Emma was, once again, on the receiving end of his/her/their call, which included some not-so-nice sentiments about her “two-faced” friends and “whore” mother. (Speaking of ol’ Daisy, does anyone else think we’re going to learn that Emma’s father was actually Brandon James? Does that timeline work out… at all? I no longer subscribe to this theory.)

Your take on Episode 2? Any new theories about the killer(s)? Drop ’em all in the comments section below.

1. Josh says:

I believe they established Emma’s mother didn’t sleep with Brandon . I think it was said his brother was involved with Daisy.

2. I felt like this episode was more true to the whole Scream empire. They had the bathroom scene where girls were talking badly about Emma (flash to bathroom scene where girls were talking badly about Sydney)…then that last phone call…totally reminded me of the first call Sydney got!! Lol I watched it alone in the dark…good thing my phone didnt ring! Loved it! Will definitely continue watching!!

3. James says:

Can I already say the killer is Jake Fitzgerald? He is the son of Brandon James and Emma’s mother, and he wants revenge because his mother abandoned him. And of course he holds a grudge to Emma because she is his nice and cool sister. Besides, typical storyline of the good looking son who didn’t have a well adjusted father but wants to avenge his memory. He seems like a jock right now, but I bet is just a facade. That’s my theory.

• Bartimeus says:

That would be an almost identical plot to Harper’s Island, ha. Let’s hope it’s something different.

• Toby says:

This is actually the entire premise of the original Scream trilogy. It was Sidney’s half-brother that caused all the murders because he was jealous Sidney had the life he should have. I’m going with the Sheriff is Brandon James’ older brother, and his son will be in on the murders too.

4. Jill says:

What the heck is “getting murked”? It must be a new slang thing…I’m getting old.

• It’s spelled a bunch of different ways. It usually is used by gamers, and basically means you got killed by mercenaries, which is why the shorthand SHOULD be merced, but no one would know how to pronounce that correctly, so we have murked. #historylesson

5. Joey Padron says:

good episode. felt like one of Scream movies. sad Aubrey’s girlfriend died.

6. John036 says:

Agree with my fellow commenters, this episode felt much more “Scream” than the pilot.

I hope that Brooke makes it till the end; she’s my favorite character and she she’s a real scene stealer.

7. Jess says:

Wish I could watch this in Canada but we don’t get it. I loved the Scream movies.

8. nate says:

That was really good. So much better than the first episode.

9. Byron says:

Way too early to tell who the real killer is – in true Scream fashion, they are throwing suspicion on nearly everyone – especially Sheriff, Mayor, icky teacher. I still think it might be Tyler, hahaha…!

I, for one, am happy to just let it unfold and be surprised as they unveil the truth (which I hope will be as twisty and weird as the original film devised.)

Speaking of the original, I was wondering why there was no homage being paid to Gale in the form of a reporter-type character – glad to see it came sooner rather than later, although I’m not certain I like the use of a Koenig-y podcaster to fill it. I’m probably in the minority there, admittedly…and I’m okay with that! :-)

10. tvfan says:

I loved this episode vs. the pilot. I loved the red paint reveal, the questions Kieran asked Emma about Will showing up right after her fright and Noah on the football field looking for Riley.

No idea who the killer is, but I will be there to the end.

11. Evan says:

I thought some of the dialogue here was just terrible (seriously, how many pop culture references do you fit in one hour?!), BUT I like how the story is progressing. There are multiple suspicious characters which doesn’t make it clear cut although I’m convinced Riley is the killer using Noah to “unknowingly” help her out. I really hate Will and almost want him to be the killer. Jake is suspicious too. I think we’re supposed to think Kieran is bad, so I don’t think he is. I’m content with what we have so far with this show but I hope the writing tightens up.

12. Kevin says:

About the timeline issue: during the Pilot, they make references to the Brandon James murder taking place 20 years ago, and in the 2nd episode, they specifically reference the year 1994 as the year of the first murders. We also learned that Emma putative father, Kevin Duvall, is a survivor of Brandon’s murder spree. So unless Emma is VERY old for a high school student of unknown grade (although we can infer that Mr. Basketball Will is probably a junior or senior since he’s worried about a college scout coming to the game), it would appear that Emma was conceived/born AFTER Brandon’s rampage/apparent death.

13. Greg says:

Hey Andy Swift how bout you and the geniuses at TV Line not title your review pages like ‘Scream: Rachel Killed’? Thanks for the spoiler @$$hole$

14. Jess says:

Technically Tyler died first and Noah did manage to throw Jake off so YOU’RE NOT WRONG.