Fall TV Preview

Fall TV's Mystery Crossover: Castle Joins S.H.I.E.L.D., Cookie Visits Gotham and More TVLine Reader Theories

Two TV worlds will collide this fall, if TVLine’s “Crossover Event” Blind Item indeed comes to fruition. But which series are being eyed for an overlap?

As previously shared by TVLine’s Michael Ausiello, execs at a major network — of the broadcast or cable variety — are toying with the idea of staging a crossover event between two of its drama series. The wrinkle: The shows in question share wildly different DNA.

The feeling is that the potential buzz would outweigh any creative gymnastics required to make the two sets of characters meet. That said, the crossover is not a done deal (though if said network execs do pull the trigger, we’ll make sure you’re the first to know).

Working off of (if sometimes ignoring…) those clues, TVLine readers churned out all sorts of theories. We’ve rounded up some of the most logical or simply fun to think about ideas in the slideshow below. Take a gander, and see which mash-ups you’d be most psyched for!

1. Two & A Half Men/CSI – nah, that’s absurd!

2. brenna says:

An Arrow/Supernatural crossover would be incredibly fun!

3. leigh says:

I love the picture of SHIELD above with Nathan Fillion’s head superimposed. It really looks like he belongs!

4. CAN says:

I would love to see Abby and Garcia.

5. theschnauzers says:

Of the suggestions shown, the one that makes sense is the Hawaii Five-O/Blue Bloods one. Not only do they air on the same network, they air on the same night back-to-back, and that would give CBS the opportunity for a two-hour event. Not only do you have the possibilities with Tom Selleck’s career connection to the state of Hawaii, you also has the character Danny from Five-O being from New Jersey, so it is conceivable that he has connections to or with the NYPD.

6. Luis says:

I heard Stephen Amell busting out “Oh Canada” on his Facebook page, and now I want an “Arrow”?Flash” musical crossover!!

• Tai says:

This needs to happen! I usually don’t like musical episodes of non music oriented shows but there are exceptions. I feel like that could be one of them.

• Pat says:

Buffy, Xena(first one) Psych and Supernatural all had great ones. Flash may be able to pull it off, not sure on Arrow though, more brooding.

• CaptainOats says:

I know everyone hated it, but I LOVE the musical ep of Grey’s Anatomy, if only for Kevin McKid trying so hard.

7. Amanda says:

The ones that makes the most sense to be is either “Once Upon a Time” and “Agents of Shield” or “Scandal” and “HTGAWM”. The first one could work as “OUAT” has already had hints of Norse mythology and there is an episode from season 3 that shows Rumple has Thor’s hammer stored in his castle, and Henry reading Marvel comics. We already know that every fictional realm exists for stories, including a land that is the home of gods and goddesses (Ursula and her father Poseidon were from there and a Pegasus was mentioned) which in Norse myth and Marvel is Asgard. Disney owns Marvel now so it wouldn’t be that much of a stretch at all.

8. bschel05 says:

Walking Dead and Downton Abbey. Make it happen.

9. iHeart says:

thank god it wasn’t Once and S.H.I.E.L.D.

10. Steven says:

So is one of these the answer or are all of these wrong? I need answers!

11. SPAMMER says:

SPAM DELETED #TVLineCares

12. Jerry says:

Absolutely nothing with SHIELD If Castle crossed over with SHIELD that cements all those characters as part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. And I’ll be @#)# if Nathan Fillion ends up in the MCU as Castle!

13. Olivia says:

Haha mine was more a reaction to the idea of a crossover than a theory ;)
    I don’t believe it’s a possibility. The shows are supposed to have “wildly” different DNA and both CM and Scorpion are set in (a somewhat) real world. So it rules them out, unfortunately. But I still love the idea of it, though!

14. lrdslvrhnd says:

Yay, you used (one of) my theory(s)!

Boo, you BZZT it and totally shot me down.

Yay, that implicitly means my Castle/Grey’s theory is still viable!

…I really hope that whatever the shows are, they’re both shows that I either watch, or don’t watch… rather than one of each.

15. mike says:

I know it cannot happen but Castle and Bones Crossover would be awesome, they should write as a Celebrity Wife Swap. Writer’s Richard Castle and Temperance Brennan-Booth in Celebrity Wife Swap!
    Becket and Booth could talk working in DC as Feds and love for a good interrogation. Bones could change the rules in the Castle house no more gambling and card games. Castle and Bones could talk about the Macabre Bones could correct him make him sit through a lecture and the science of bones. Beckett could force Booth to find out what writers made her husband disappear for months for no good reason. It could go on and on….

16. Priscila C. says:

My money is on Bones/Sleepy Hollow. Both on Thursday. And something coming from Sleepy Hollow is just freaky enough to bring Booth and Brennan back.

• kmw says:

First I know that Bones and Castle are on different networks but @mike your idea is funny. Unfortunately will never happen. Second Bones Sleepy Hollow combo now makes no sense. it will not help either shows ratings at all. If that was to occur it should have happened when they were both on Monday. I am also amused by all suggestions with Empire because Empire doesn’t need any ratings help from anyone

• Anon says:

I don’t know why you have to be such a downer *shrugs*…its just fun speculation at this point…crossovers by nature generate buzz and media attention which doesn’t hurt shows….it would benefit both Bones & Sleepy Hollow, who air on the same night in the fall & on the same network, cross promotion, its actually a great idea.

• A says:

My money is on Bones & Sleepy Hollow too….Thursday crossover event…Booth and Abbey working the creepy case with Ichadbod & Brennan trying to out do each other by not getting pop culture refs…lol…srly, I think it could be really good, lots of potential

17. Mr. Tran K says:

Scandal & HTGAWM would be great for a crossover event. Blacklist and the new series The Player should be great but not so sure what NBC is going to do about it and what if CBS is going to have a Big Bang Theory/2 Broke Girls crossover episode which fans of both shows would love to see.

• n8frogg says:

Not sure why so many people have trouble understanding the qualifications. The shows “have very different DNA” so that takes out any chance of it being two Shonda shows.

18. mac says:

Most of these are absolutely ridiculous given most shows not being compatible with each other. Never break another shows canon with a crossover.

Originals and Reign actually sounds good. Mary visiting a ball thrown by the Mikaelsons and falling for Elijah.

Obviously the vampire aspect shouldn’t be mentioned on Reign but it could work…

better than SPN/Arrow

19. Jennifer says:

TVLine (Matt??): If the crossover does not occur, will you put us all out of our misery and let us know just what shows were in consideration?? Please?

20. Brigh.Guk says:

I know that they are on different networks, but a Bones/Castle crossover would be great!

21. brandi says:

I love the Blue Bloods and Hawaii 5.0 theory. That one is my fav! As long as they put Tom Selleck in a Hawaii shirt. And they should have Larry Minetti who played Rick on Magnum and guest stars on 5.0 both make an appearance.

22. brandi says:

I used to hope for a House and Bones crossover way back when. Can you imagine Brennan and House working together. That would have been awesome!

23. Ashbash says:

Can someone give USA a call and make a Suits/Royal Pains crossover actually happen? That one was a great idea! I’m rooting for a NCIS/Criminal Minds crossover

• A.B. says:

USA could have had so many good crossovers a couple of years ago. Burn Notice/Covert Affairs, White Collar/Covert Affairs, Royal Pains/Suits and Psych with any of those shows. Oh the possibilities that could have been.

• DramaMomma says:

Suits/Royal Pains would only work if somehow Boris was involved with Harvey. What was suggested in the slide show over the top silly for my taste. I love both of them but a bad crossover is not what I want to see.

• Ashbash says:

I’m picturing it as a company retreat to the Hamptons, Mike falls ill and they have to call HankMed meanwhile Hank is threatened with a lawsuit by a former patient and enlists Harvey as his lawyer

24. Missy says:

I’ve been after an Abby and Penny meeting for years now. I personally love the idea of NCIS and Criminal Minds. I adore both shows :D

• I mentioned NCIS and Criminal Minds too. Even if it was for the mere reason of forcing my parents to actually watch CM.

But it would be awesome with Abby and Penelope together, and maybe Reid would have something in common with McGee.

25. King says:

It’s Bones and Sleepy Hollow

26. I think I heard it’s Once Upon and Time and Agents of Shield (both Disney?) Weird if true

27. chuckiechk says:

Madam Secretary crossing over with NCIS Franchise …. Madam Secretary/CSI: Cyber Crimes … NCIS/CSI: Cyber Crimes … Elementary/Blue Bloods … Blue Bloods/Hawaii Five-0 …. IMO, most if not all CBS shows could work together

28. Chris J says:

I’m seeing The Flash and The 100. Very different “DNA”, but completely plausible, if Barry ran fast enough to travel to the future, or an alternate dimension.

• Will says:

I had similar thinking but with The Flash and Reign… he travels back in time. Not a Reign viewer, but that seems like a show which could use a ratings uptick for sure.

29. wilogden says:

The real question: Is the blind item’s answer represented as one of the possibilities from the slideshow?

30. lkh says:

Not sure Beckett could ‘survive’ that crew on Scandal. She might be a little too honest and idealistic.

31. Big Bang Theory/Hawaii 5-0. The all go to Hawaii for Peggy/Leonard’s wedding and Sheldon accidentally gets involved in international espionage ala the man with one red shoe

32. Jake says:

My bet is Laura + SVU.

33. James D says:

the level of ridiculousness that would be Castle and AOS is off the charts yet it is the sort of ridiculousness that would work if done right. Frankly watching Coulson and Castle banter would be worth the price of admission. Do it ABC.

34. Karen MT says:

Oh man, I got all excited reading the headline, until I made it to the comma. :-(

35. Lizo says:

I’d stop complaining about Forever being cancelled if they give us a Scandal & Castle crossover.

36. Isabela Milanezzi says:

OMG! Scorpion and Criminal Minds: PLEASE!!!

37. Alicia says:

As much as I love the idea of Criminal Minds and NCIS, I almost think they are to compatible to be the winners of that and honestly I would have preferred for the crossover to have happened in the era of Ziva and Emily because they could have had a CIA/Mossad connection which would make the whole thing more plausible.

I almost want it to be Once Upon a Time and Agents of SHIELD just to see how they would pull it off.

38. scott21 says:

I think it wil be POI and Elemantary they recently shoot a commercial together

39. Bearandall says:

I think this duo might fit the bill and will be a meeting of the genius egos. Scorpion and Big Bang Theory. Both are set in LA and both use the premise of geniuses, but one is a drama and one is a comedy.

40. Julian says:

What about Matt Donovan calling the Winchesters to help him to take down the heretics and Lily?

41. are we sure that the crossover didnt already happened between Rizzoli and Isles and White Collar?? Otherwise why was Sharif Atkins playing an FBI agent looking for a painting?

42. Lysh says:

“Boom. Evidence.” – Kim. My favorite quote.
    Some of the Photoshop in this article was great!

43. justaguess says:

Dr. Who + Sherlock. BBC America counts as Cable?

44. Love the idea lf a Grey’s doctor working on Deacon!!! Make that happen, ABC!

45. CaptainOats says:

“I would love to see Castle and Scandal, but not as a traditional crossover. The actress who has played Alexis’ mom/Castle’s first ex-wife Meredith also plays Abby on Scandal, so it would be tricky, but it would be unique. Within the Castle universe Meredith could be the actress who plays Abby, instead of Darby Stanchfield, on the TV show Scandal. Meredith gets into some type of trouble and Castle and Beckett end up helping her out… and that requires going behind the scenes at Scandal.” –Susan

….This is by far the most original/ interesting idea. That is the only way a Castle/ Scandal crossover would at all work. But it would be really funny for Olivia Pope to try and manage Coulson’s image problem. And I’d watch the hell out of an Elementary/ POI crossover. That commercial is great! And Reign & Originals totally makes sense.