Bill Cosby Sitcoms Yanked from Centric, Bounce TV's Schedules

Bill Cosby Reruns Pulled

It’s official: The next time you’re jonesing for a fix of The Cosby Show or Cosby, don’t bother trying to get it from your TV.

BET-owned Centric and Atlanta-based network Bounce TV on Wednesday announced plans to pull both Bill Cosby-led sitcoms from their lineups, according to Vulture. Their decisions were made after previously sealed court documents from 2005 revealed that the comedian admitted to giving prescription drugs to multiple women for sexual purposes.

The Cosby Show, the more popular of the two sitcoms, aired on NBC from 1984 to 1992, while Cosby, which reunited the titular star with former on-screen wife Phylicia Rashad, ran on CBS from 1998 to 2000.

Though The Cosby Show was yanked from TV Land in Nov. 2014, the series is still available to stream on Hulu and Amazon.

Comments are monitored, so don’t go off topic, don’t frakkin’ curse and don’t bore us with how much your coworker’s sister-in-law makes per hour. Talk smart about TV!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

27 Comments
  1. Riana says:

    Did anyone have these channels to begin with?

    • Bryce says:

      No, but it’s a story because they were the last holdouts left on TV. Can’t believe Hulu hasn’t budged though…

    • BrightLight says:

      I don’t have cable so I don’t have Centric (I used to when I did have cable), but I do have Bounce as it’s a subchannel for my local CBS. I actually tuned in today to see if they would air the 5PM showing of “Cosby” which I had been watching because of my love of Madeline Kahn but they replaced it with “Roc” which had been in that slot before they started showing “Cosby” a couple of months ago.

  2. Jane L. says:

    I don’t like this. Does not seem fair to the other stars and supporting cast members of these shows, and there’s nothing in these shows thave have anything to do with the allegations.

    • Sally McLinn says:

      I agree. Many of them depend on those royalty checks. Cos won’t be hurt, but the actors will be.

      • Michelle R. says:

        Which can also be laid at Cosby’s door. A network/channel/whatever should be able to say they don’t want to promote a rapist without being held responsible for the livelihoods of Rudi and Theo.

        All shows in syndication have actors who make royalties, which makes it a non-issue — some other actors will now get paid, and hopefully none of them will be sexual predators.

    • tvjunkie says:

      Now you know how the young women who were contestants of the Trumps pageant felt when NBC and Univision decided to punish them just to show up Trump.

  3. steven says:

    1996, not 1998.

  4. steven says:

    Is this going to happen every time a famous actor is hit with a scandal, nobody will air their classic shows?

    • Sally McLinn says:

      Seems to be happening. Even with the Dukes of Hazard, they cancelled the series because of the FLAG!!! Laughable.

    • Michelle R. says:

      You act like he happened to be just one actor on the show, and as if he made a little mistake, when he was the show (lead actor, producer, creator, namesake) and his crimes were premeditated and go back decades.

    • David4 says:

      He has raped dozens of women over several decades and you act like he made a little mistake.

      He’s a sicko, a pervert and should be rotting away in jail.

  5. Matthew says:

    I don’t see how pulling the show from the lineup proves any kind of a point. It’s a PR thing and these stations think consumers are going to feel that they are condoning Cosby’s actions by continuing to air the program. That’s total crap. The show has nothing to do with the situation and it is a shame that a monumental piece of tv history has to suffer. Just another thing that’s wrong with our easily influenced, pigheaded and ignorant society and media structure.

    • Mary says:

      Why would a serial rapist, because that is what he is, profit? The bad part about all of this is he won’t be held accountable because of the statue of limitations, which is so wrong.

  6. Ralph says:

    Continue airing the shows and let people vote their opinion with their remotes. Same thing with the Dukes. IF people are offended by these FICTIONAL shows then the ratings will have them off the air anyway.

    I’d LIKE to think the public can make up their own minds on these things.

    • KCC says:

      It’s not what the public wants, but what sponsors will pay to advertise on a show. TV is not a democracy, its a business. No sponsors, no show. Right now, few corporations want to be associated with Cosby or the Dukes.

  7. Chris says:

    “Cosby” ran on CBS from 1996-2000, not 1998-2000, Andy!

  8. AngelWasHere says:

    I think they should bring sitcoms like this tainted by scandal back after things have cooled off. Maybe even after some years. It’s not fair to the viewers, but I think a break is needed. It’s just seem like it would be inappropriate to air Cosby right now considering the nature of the scandal and how its all over the news now. It sucks for those who watch, but its business and real people have been scarred by this man who was unfortunately the face of the show.

    • AngelWasHere says:

      And I don’t really agree with the Dukes being pulled. I do find the confederate flag offensive (always have), but it’s a old show and its not much you can do about it. Just cringe and ignore it. lol

      • Tai says:

        I agree about the Dukes. I’m definitely against the confederate flag but to pull an old show like Dukes is just overkill.

    • Christian says:

      It will eventually come back. Up TV has returned 7th Heaven to the schedule after pulling it off the air late last year. They even had a marathon of the show for July 4th!

  9. Rich says:

    I feel bad for the other stars of the show who may be relying on residuals from these shows to pay their bills.

    • hud says:

      The View is looking for a new co-host, how about Bill? His perspective would be unique to say the least. A ratings bonanza….

  10. DM says:

    Hmmm, wether he did it or not, what about the rest of the cast? ??? What bothers me is that over 30 yrs has passed and nooow these woman are mentioning this? OVER 30 YRS if this is true why keep this in your mind and hearts so long? Why wait until hes a old ass man ???? Why

  11. Corian says:

    The man (Bill Cosby) already has one foot in the grave. With that, should start playing the Cosby show again in January 2016 – to forever.