Ratings: USA's Women's World Cup Win Sets Record, Draws 25 Million

FIFA Women's World Cup 2015

Fox’s coverage of Sunday’s FIFA Women’s World Cup championship soccer match between USA and Japan averaged 25.4 million total viewers (per finals), making it the most-watched soccer match in U.S. history, trouncing the previous high of 18.2 mil (set by USA-Portugal during last year’s World Cup group stage match).

The match-up hit its peak between 8:30 and 8:45 pm, when it had 30.1 million viewers.

The USA’s big win bested the prior high for a women’s soccer match — the 1999 Women’s World Cup Final, which drew 18 mil — by 41 percent, and beat the audience for the 2011 Women’s World Cup Final (also USA vs. Japan) by 89 percent.

Elsewhere:

ABC | Celebrity Family Feud (6.9 mil/1.5) fell 17 and 21 percent, while BattleBots (4.3 mil/1.2) slipped 10 and 14 percent.

CBS | Big Brother (5.1 mil/1.6) dipped 9 and 11 percent.

NBC | Coverage of the “NASCAR Coke Zero 400” (Did I get the name right this time?) averaged 3.6 mil and a 0.8 from 7 to 11 pm.

1. lame says:

And you can still hear people on sports talk radio saying nobody watches soccer. Under which rocks do these live.

• lame says:

These people live. Apologies .

• canadian ninja says:

Well, part of it is that yeah, sports talk radio guys – especially in the u.s. – are comfortable talking about football, basketball, football, baseball, golf and football. Sometimes hockey or nascar. So that’s what they do and when soccer is brought up they really don’t have a clue and they know it so….

But on the other hand, people watch big soccer tournaments. I think media is going to try to push marketng the Euro cup to capitalize on this. People also watch their national team. But day to day the most soccer people watch is their kids playing it.

I’ve never heard what kind of viewership a regular season L.A. Galaxy game gets. Does anyone think it’s a lot?

Anyway…congrats to the yanks for winning big!

2. Ron says:

One of the best games (if not the best game) of soccer I’ve ever seen. Carli Lloyd is a beast!

• Dude says:

It was great in the sense that you almost never see a game with that many goals nevermind so early but it was also crazy boring because the USA basically clinched it in the first 10 minutes. I prefer a little drama with my matches.

• Sara says:

They in no way clinched it in the first 16 minutes. Japan was not giving up. It was still pretty exciting.

3. Mr. Tran K says:

Don’t know who’s my girl crush: Alex Morgan, Christen Press or Hope Solo. Anyone of those three maybe right for me.

• lame says:

Careful with Hope Solo, I hear she has a lights out right cross

• Becky says:

Yes, this. I’m glad they won, was fun to watch. But Hope Solo should not have been there. If we’re going to insist that NFL players who commit domestic violence, they we should expect the same for soccer players.

• John NYC says:

After a conviction perhaps. And given her nephew reportedly is double to triple her weight: tough sell.

• Ann says:

Wrong. I don’t think any of the guys in the NFL were convicted for domestic abuse. In those instances, those cases were dropped. Probably after the player gave those victims hush money. Hope Solo never sat out a game even after she was charged. Her case was dropped…also probably from hush money. It doesn’t matter what size her nephew was if she was the person attacking. And apparently, this wasn’t the first time she attacked her own family members either.

• John NYC says:

Right: I don’t agree with knee jerk benching any employee for something they haven’t been convicted of.

Why should she have sat out a game on mere allegations? The relative size goes to the probable credibility of who was doing the attacking. And sorting that out is what trials are for, not the back of some rag in a grocery checkout line.

• Dude says:

Hope Solo is the female Chris Brown so good luck with that.

4. ANON R says:

Time to pay those women properly. Can’t use the “nobody watches women’s soccer” excuse anymore.

• Lucifer says:

The pay of professional soccer players is strongly based on advertising revenue. The numbers show less people watch women’s soccer compared to men’s soccer. Can’t use one game to claim it’s not true.

5. Dude says:

I just hate watching Hope Solo win anything. Woman is trash.

6. James D says:

great news. It is a widely held misconception that Soccer isn’t popular here in the states I hope this proves the naysayers wrong very happy Wambach got her cup before she retired, she is one of greatest players male or female to ever play and she deserved it as did the rest of the squad. It sure was a fun game to watch, Carli Loyd was a boss out there that goal from the halfway line was the greatest goal I’ve ever seen and if watched and played soccer for a long time. Go USA! can’t wait for the Olympics next year and the Gold Cup this week good time to be a soccer fan.

7. Jenni says:

Family Feud did bad because Robin McGraw was unwatchable. I had to turn it off after a few minutes.

• Kim R says:

I’m so glad you commented! I said to my husband last night, someone is going to mention this tomorrow. :D I don’t know how she normally behaves on camera but what the heck??!! Too much Red Bull?? It was crazy.

• Jenni says:

Agreed! She kept saying everything was a “good answer” even if it wasn’t she would say “that was a good answer though”. I think it was too much Red Bull!

8. Tomasawakadoodledo says:

Gloryhunters! Where was everyone earlier in the tournament? Kudos to the real fans there all the way.

9. Marc says:

You got the name of the race right, but it was raining in Daytona Beach, so NBC had rain delay coverage (filler–live interviews and recorded segments) until around 11:30 Eastern, when the race finally began.

10. John NYC says:

Given the rain delayed race didn’t start until close to eleven EDT those ratings aren’t bad for an endless series of driver interviews!

11. Jenna says:

Way to go, ladies! Such a great game, I think that was the fastest 90 minutes of soccer I’ve ever watched.
    Job well done by all!

12. Lisa says:

Just like the game, those numbers are pretty awesome.