Fall TV: Heroes vs. Big Bang vs. Grey's, and Thursday's Other DVR Dilemmas

TV Calendar Fall 2015

The Fall TV season will be here before you know it, and with it comes exciting — sometimes excruciating — viewing choices. And the time to get dwelling on those DVR dilemmas is now.

RELATED Fall TV: Your Handy Calendar of 90+ Premiere Dates

All this week, TVLine is presenting you with the grids for each night’s fall line-up, including Big 5 fare and the likely cable competition. (Click for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday polls.) You then vote for what you plan to watch “live” during each time slot. (If you are forever hung up on my use of the word “live,” I invite/beg you to instead vote for your “Top Priority” in each time slot. Semantics solved!)

IMPORTANT, BOLD, RED ALERT: CBS is opening the fall with football on Thursdays, but for the purpose of this poll we are zooming ahead to Nov. 5, when Big Bang, Elementary et al return to the night.
TV Calendar Fall 2015NOTES ABOUT THE THURSDAY GRID: Details on new shows (listed in RED) can be found at these links: Angel From Hell, Heroes Reborn, Life in Pieces, The Player.

RELATED Fall TV Grid: Your Guide to What’s on When, Versus What

Want scoop on fall shows? Email insideline@tvline.com!

1. sillyemmy says:

If Zachary Levi is on it, I’m watching it.

2. nate says:

Well goodbye Sleepy Hollow

• AM68 says:

I don’t know WTH Fox was thinking with this one. I will continue to watch the show live to support it but I will do it grudgingly.

• I’ve decided that they scheduled Sleepy Hollow against Scandal on purpose to let it burn off. I know each show has different important considerations when putting together a schedule, but it makes absolutely no sense to put two shows led by minority women against each other like that. Especially when one of the shows is ratings juggernaut Scandal. If FOX was really invested in seeing Sleepy Hollow, they would have found other placement for the show.

• Ayannali says:

Agreed, FOX has a way of trying to “kill” shows with out just cancelling them (except for Firefly…still miffed on that one)

Sleepy Hollow worked because it was not on an OMG have to get home and watch night and FOX will never have a must see TV type of night.

I hope if enough people Hulu Sleepy Hollow it will stay on. I guess we should be glad they didn’t put it in the dreaded Friday night slot…against NBC’s Grimm….

• Lexi says:

Thank you!!! For stating it so well. All these networks put these shows against juggernauts and are shocked they don’t do well! FOREVER???

3. Dean says:

Just Mom. Nice ‘the non linear modern family’ accurate.

4. Mr. Tran K says:

It’s NBC night for me on a Thursday – Heroes, Blacklist & Player.

• Mary says:

I am ABC all the way on Thursday night. Moms is the only one I will watch on demand if I have time.

• Mr. Tran K says:

Really don’t care about ABC and it’s TGIT anymore if that someone is going to start “complaining” week in and week out. NBC is going to be my top priority on a Thursday night over ABC during the Fall. As for CBS, really don’t know if Life in Pieces and Angel From Hell are going to perform well in their respective time slots but I’m wondering if the network is thinking about 2 Broke Girls being moved to Thursdays by mid-season and possibly in the post Big Bang time slot (8;30 pm).

• Christian says:

ABC wins. Go cry to your mama.

• Mr. Tran K says:

Stop whining and complaining like a kid and GROW UP. If I see one “mean reply” again, I’m about to throw a temper tantrum. BTW, I don’t care which network is going to be #1 on Thursday nights: ABC or NBC. So stop making excuses and disagreements.

• Mr. Tran K says:

Message to Christian: don’t you EVER talked about my “mama”. Your mama can whine and complain all she wants. Stop makin’ excuses about ABC wins this ABC wins that.

5. Lizo says:

Wow, for the first time I won’t be watching ‘Vampire Diaries’. I don’t want to punish everyone else on that show for Nina Dobrev’s selfish decision, but I just can’t. Damon without Elena is just not right.

• Cas says:

Agreed! Even without Damon she was a central character considering the show was basically about her from the start.

• Lizo says:

She’s not even my favourite character (that honour goes to Caroline) and the show has enough strength in their characters to keep going (except Stefan who is like a wet blanket)….but the Elena/Damon thing was the core of the show pretty much. We spend this long deeply invested in them only to have suddenly *not* be. I’m really struggling with that. Damon without Elena is like waffles without syrup.

• AM68 says:

Damon without Elena will finally be interesting again.

6. Mary says:

So far there’s still nothing that I want to watch in the 10 o’clock (9 for me) hour.

7. Maria says:

TBBT live. That’s all.

8. tvfanhs says:

how often can you vote?

9. James D says:

Sorry TBBT you’re getting relegated to the DVR. Zachary Levi back on TV and he’s on Heroes no way I’m not watching that live. that’s the only DVR though Player is the only other show I want to watch.

10. Ron says:

Ugh. Well, instead of giving Sleepy Hollow a chance to redeem itself, I guess Fox definitely wants to kill it. I mean, why else would you put it own opposite The Blacklist AND Scandal??? Not one, BUT TWO huge shows. Fox, whatever…

• Lizo says:

Right?? I enjoy Sleepy Hollow, but Scandal and The Blacklist are two of my favourites. Not to mention that a lot of people watch Scandal as close to its airtime as possible.

11. A says:

Bones at 8pm!!!!

12. A. D. says:

This is the busiest night with SOOO many good shows…wish these networks would balance their schedules….Guess the TIVO will be working overtime!

13. brandydanforth81 says:

BBT,VD,TO live( even though I’m disappointed by TO& BBT last seasons & VDs gonna be hard to watch without Nina)& dvr HTGAWM

14. Jennifer says:

I’m watching TBBT live, then switching to the DVR’d Heros. That way I miss the commercials! I do want to watch Life in Pieces … but it’s not priority.

15. webly3 says:

I’ll try Heroes Reborn. I’ll watch BBT, Mom, and I’ll try Life in Pieces. DVR Scandal. Watch How to Get Away with Murder live.

16. Deion says:

Grey’s has done just fine in my DVR column for the last couple of seasons, so Heroes Reborn will be getting my live time. Scandal and HTGAWM rounds out the night.

17. Remy says:

I usually watch TVD live & DVR Bones. I don’t know what I’m going to do about Heroes :(

18. Eric7740 says:

TGIT all the way!!!

19. JC1 says:

I voted for Heroes, The Blacklist, and The Player as the highest priority listed in each time slot, but realistically, Thursday night tends to be the night I catch up on other stuff I wanted to watch earlier in the week. Both Heroes and The Player are on my “may try out” list, and I haven’t even finished the most recent seasons yet of both The Blacklist and Elementary.

20. John NYC says:

Stuff on opposite TBBT?

That’s no dilemma, TBBT is a slam dunk!

21. Brian says:

Really hoping Sleepy Hollow can some way survive up against Scandal and The Blacklist.

22. Missy Kelly says:

Philip Winchester & Wesley Snipes looks great; Committed to Elementary but isn’t this why we have enhanced DVRS to we can recod 6 programs at one time?

• Lizo says:

Truth. So why is it that the people who refuse to get new tech are the ones dictating what gets renewed and what doesn’t. Sigh

• John NYC says:

Because it’s selling their viewing time that actually pays the bills?

• Angela says:

Sometimes it’s not a matter of “refusing” to get new tech. It could also be that not everyone has a lot of spare money to spend either, you know. Or they’re not very tech-savvy to begin with.

23. Lulu says:

Grey’s gets the DVR. While I’m not done with the show after McDreamyGate because there are a few characters I am willing to see through to the end, it no longer gets my “live watch” vote. I’m switching over to Heroes Reborn. I loved the first season of the original Heroes. If they can stick to do what that show should have been, I’ll stay with it.

24. Sarah says:

Bones – Live
    Grey’s & TVD – Friday (DVR)
    Sleepy Hollow & TOs – Friday (DVR or Hulu)

25. AM68 says:

The entire Fall schedule reads like Sophie’s Choice for me. Especially Thursday. Literally ALL of my favorite shows are airing at the same time on the same night. Cruel.

26. Gena says:

DVR Sleepy Hollow while watching Sleepy Hollow and then start the DVR again for anything I missed. Everything else can wait.

27. T.W.123 says:

For me, Thursdays will always be Shondaland.

28. Stephon JS says:

Sorry thursday belong to ABC. Everything else get the DVR

29. Nitemar says:

Thursday tv nights belong to Shonda. No brainer.

30. cej says:

I’m done with Grey’s and don’t watch the other Shonda shows so no ABC for me this night.

Not sure how TVD will be without Elena but will give it a try. Otherwise, I’m most looking forward to Heroes Reborn, Sleepy Hollow, Blacklist and Elementary (which I stopped watching for a while but added it back to my list with the addition of John Noble as Sherlock’s father).

31. Firehair says:

It’s simple for me… CBS isn’t carried on Hulu, so watch those programs live and catch the others on Hulu whenever.

32. Emor says:

Thursday is gonna kill me. I have up to possibly SEVEN hours of tv!!! (5 hours are returning shows, with 2 hours of possible new shows.) Monday and Tuesday have lots of new shows, so those days could get big, but thank goodness for OnDemand, because even if I watched 3hours live, I would still have 4 HOURS on the dvr! Basically to watch all the shows that night I would be watching tv from 8pm to 2am!!! I like Tv, but not that much. (P.S. that doesn’t even count what cable shows might end up on Thursday……guh…I’m coming Martha!!

33. I have no DVR or what to watch first/live problems on Thursdays. For me it is ELEMENTARY night. And, unless they change the air day, also an evening with The Odd Couple, but I believe that show will air its 2nd season only in Jan 2016. I also voted for Mom, but I doubt I will watch regularly, as for me the show lost its pull with season 1. (S2 was filled with too many “cheap jokes” for my taste, and too many twist done simply to shock people without the season feeling as a whole – that is how it felt to me) But I will check from time to time, because I think the cast/actors are good.

34. Liz says:

Stupid Thursdays at 8! This is when the DVR only recording 2 shows is so frustrating. I watch Bones, Vampire Diaries, and Big Bang Theory and I can’t record them all at the same time! AGH!

35. graze says:

BBT at 8 then because of Zachary Levi I’m going to give Heroes Reborn a chance so I’ll watch it time delayed on DVR and skip the commercials then keep on watching Blacklist. Cannot stand what Shonda’s done to her shows so what used to be appt TV, Grey’s, will now go on my DVR, and no to Scandal. Nothing I like at 10pm.

36. mac says:

Just The Originals for me
    with Blacklist on DVR

37. amadeline says:

Heroes was only good season one. After that they were anything but heroic. Why would anyone watch it again!

38. kmw says:

Bones for me!!

39. Babygate says:

It used to be TGIT all the way for me but this last season really let me down so this coming Fall it will be Heroes live first and DVR BBT and TGIT.

40. Heather says:

Sleepy Hollow. LOL @ you guys freaking out. Scorpion was slaughtering this show on Mondays, along with DWTS and The Voice, thanks to Goffman and his team sidelining the characters of color for the bland mayonnaise affair that was the Crane family drama. This is FOX. If they want a show gone (especially a GENRE show), they yank it. SH has a new showrunner and two new black writers who are extremely knowledgeable in genre tv. The show will be fine – don’t forget FOX owns and produces it. They have incentive to keep it around. They’re idiots but they know BL and Scandal aren’t invicible. They aren’t expecting Sleepy Hollow to beat this show in ratings, just hold relatively steady. If you can’t watch live, DVR/HULU/watch on demand. Support it regardless!

41. ginny says:

Sorry tv bosses, but I DVR everything I want to watch. My workday starts @ 4a.m. I’d rather sleep than stay up to watch television.

42. Im gonna do a Seth Mayers and Amy Poehler, REALLY? TBBT, Bones and Heroes at the same time? REALLY? REALLY?

43. delorb says:

BBT live along with Sleepy Hollow. I haven’t watched an episode of Scandal or Murder in ages. I haven’t watched Greys since Isiah left. Won’t be watching anything Heroes related. I can remember how great the original started out and well, lets just say that I won’t be fooled again. IF Sleepy goes off the rails, then my TV will be turned off. I’ve found that I much prefer to binge watch shows. So if Heroes gets some good buzz, I might watch an episode or two. But I’ve noticed that I don’t really have the patience for the long and drawn out. Nor do I like what the majority likes. I’m talkin’ ’bout you Outlander, Downlander? I don’t know what its called. It sure was stupid though.

44. meatwad says:

Watch The Blacklist and The Player
    Dvr The Originals, Angel From Hell, Elementary

45. Terry says:

Grey’s Anatomy!

46. Ram510 says:

Thursday’s are kind of busy. By default I’ll be watching Heroes live and I’ll give Life in Pieces a shot. 9pm is all about Scandal!! 10 o’clock will probably watch How to get Away live and try The Player later on. Im not sure if I’m done with The Originals or not

• Ram510 says:

Same goes for Sleepy Hollow, I’m not sure if I’ll be returning. Either way it’ll have to wait cause 9pm belongs to Scandal

47. Sheldon W. says:

8:00 – Heroes Reborn
    Timeshift/record: Bones

9:00 – The Blacklist
    Timeshift/record: Angel From Hell

10:00 – Elementary
    Timeshift/record: HTGAWM

48. Ally Oop says:

I decided to drop How to Get Away with Murder after the unsatisfactory season finale so that frees up some time. I’ll be tuning into The Originals, Grey’s Anatomy and Big Bang Theory. I’ll reluctantly watch Vampire Diaries and possibly Sleepy Hollow.

49. Whoa says:

Umm, I’ve got 5 shows at 8, 3 shows at 9, and 2 shows at 10.

I’m in trouble.

50. jessa says:

Finally letting go of that black hole of television, TVD, after the last two seasons spiraled downward at an alarming rate. Now that Nina Dobrev has wisely chosen to move on, it’s gauranteed to get even worse as they scramble to fill the void she leaves. So, I think I’ll DVR TBBT and give Heroes a try.