Blind Item: Crossover Event Eyed for Fall — and It Will Blow. Your. Mind.

Two TV worlds are threatening to collide this fall and you may want to start bracing for impact.

According to multiple sources, execs at a major network (of the broadcast or cable variety) are toying with the idea of staging a crossover event between two of its drama series.

And here’s the catch: The shows in question share wildly different DNA. In other words, a Chicago Fire/Law & Order: SVU two-parter this most definitely is not.

I hear The Powers That Be feel the possible benefits (namely, increased buzz leading to higher ratings for both shows) would justify the creative cartwheels the EPs of the respective programs would have to perform in order to pull off such a stunt (and have it make sense).

But I’m told the gambit is still far from a fait accompli, hence the reason this item is blind. Rest assured, if and when this becomes a done deal, you guys will be the first to know.

Until then, well, you know the drill. Comments. Speculation. Go.

1. Kel says:

This picture is clearly everyone’s favorite Grimm, Nick. No idea on the other show tho!

2. Mike says:

OUAT & S.H.I.E.L.D?

• Wow. I can’t imagine it but OMG if they did… that would be crazy. I’d tune in just to see how they pulled it off.

• Wordsmith says:

OUAT has introduced the concept of multiple worlds already – enchanted forest, wonderland, oz, black-and-white Frankenstein land… who’s to say that the MCU isn’t another part of that multiverse.
        The Asgardian World Tree concept also allows for different interconnected worlds.
        I think the major issue would be firmly locking the door after the crossover so that the link wouldn’t continue to pollute either continuity. Disney synergy is fun for an occasional stunt, but not as a permanent fixture.

• Kristina says:

Whoa! That has some seriously cool possibilities.

• Shannon says:

Oh, I hope not. It would be the one episode of AoS that I wouldn’t watch. Disney has been fairly mindful of not crossing its ‘fairy tale’ worlds into established ones like Marvel, and considering the epic backlash that occurred when they became the new owners of the Star Wars franchise. I think they would loose some respect and viewers on the AoS side if they did something more blatant than a hidden Mickey.

• Olivia says:

I would be mad as hell if they tainted a show I LOVE (AOS) with a show that I unfortunately grew to despise (OUAT). Not only would I skip the AOS episode, but I’m not sure I would keep watching because I would not trust ABC after that and it would make it hard to enjoy it with a free mind. Not to mention that artistically and story wise it would be the stupidest thing ever.

• Agreed! As an AOS fan, I would be royally peeved if they tried to pull something like that, UNLESS it was something like a “dream”episode where nothing that happens is actually real, but maybe serves to give the Agent having the dream the inspiration to solve a major problem or some such. But if they tried to do something like that and make it something happening in reality, no. Absolutely not.

• Danielle says:

Same. Plus it would be a waste of an episode IMO. I don’t see how it could contribute to the overall plot of either show, and the last thing either show needs is a stunt episode.

• Amit says:

I can see this – it’s not too far out the realm of possibility. We’ve seen Marvel comics and stuff on screen, too, so it could definitely happen.

• Lysh says:

Lol I was going to say the same thing. I would definitely try to get back into SHIELD if that were to happen.

• Kris says:

That’s what I was thinking too!

• LeahKittyS says:

Okay, good to know I wasn’t the only one thinking that.

• Amelia says:

Are there complications being that Marvel is under the Universal umbrella and OUAT is Disney? I know SHIELD is on ABC which is part of Disney but wasn’t sure how Marvel or Disney would feel about the characters crossing.

• MelindaB says:

I was thinking that Once would be one, and a “regular” drama the other, because that would be wildly
      different. I’ll be interested in seeing what, if anything, comes of this news.

• Rebecca says:

Are we ruling out network crossovers? I didn’t see that anywhere in the clues. I’m just picturing Sam & Dean from Supernatural in Storybrooke and it’s amusing in my head. Lol.

• Stefan says:

Just saw a picture of Sam and Dean with Stefan and Damon at Comic Con and I immediately remembered this article.

• Delirious says:

Considering it’s Disney-Marvel, and OUAT drinks so much from the Disney pool… It could be – not sure how they’d work it out, tho, without a gimmick of the “end of episode – everyone forgets everything” type, so as to avoid establishing a permanent effect on both shows. And same would apply to iZombie + one of the DC shows, although they’re from 2 different comics publishers, so I don’t see it.

Anyway, as much as I’d love the concept, I don’t see how a “realistic” show (Bones, Castle, NCIS, Law & Order, etc) could mix up with a fiction/scifi/fantasy show (Minority Report, Agents of SHIELD, Grimm, DC series, etc). And a crossover between 2 “realistic” shows that don’t share DNA doesn’t attract me too much, tbh.

So… Discarding crossovers involving cops/special teams/lawyers (NCIS, CSI, Scorpion, HTGAWM, Hawaii 5-0), same-company superheroes (DC series, SHIELD + Carter), supernatural (Vampire Diaries, erhm… Supernatural), etc… I guess I’d go with OUAT + SHIELD, or Bones + Empire. Maybe? Dunno, my head’s starting to hurt -_-

• Why can’t there be a GRIMM-SVU crossover or a GRIMM-BLACKLIST crossover? Please let me know. I wrote up above how it could be done. GRIMM isn’t a fairy tale show. There could be GRIMM in the real world. There are days I go into NYC and it is COMPLETELY GRIMM!

• Delirious says:

How will they explain the permanent effects such a revelation (creatures believed to be mythical or fantasy really existing) in shows like SVU or Blacklist, without those shows incorporating it permanently? Should they go for the absolutely dumb gimmick of making the SVU/Blacklist/etc world magically “forgetting everything” at the end of the show? Because such effects in those shows would surely guarantee at least a full season exploring the impact… I mean, hurrying things, or simply ignoring them, because it’s “only meant for one episode” would be terrible… And just think of what’d happen with Benson or Keen if they learnt of this kind of thing… “Freak out” would be a supreme understatement – not to mention, I wouldn’t believe them just thinking “OMG WTF – nah, OK, let’s get into battlemode”.

• T says:

Yeah. Disney owns Marvel so its a possibility. Ugh. But I hate DIsney.

• McKenzie says:

Could definitely see this! They snuck in Mjölnir to Gold’s shop and David once said something about falling through a portal to Asgard.

• Catherine says:

That joke was made because Josh Dallas was Fandral in the original Thor film but was replaced for Thor 2 due to his commitment to OUAT. I could see this happening, though.

• Greg says:

They’re both Disney owned as well so it could work

• Lisa says:

That would be an awesome one.

• nick says:

They could easily cross-over the flash with shield or Gotham. DC and Marvel have had numerous cross-overs.

• A3rynSun76 says:

cool idea, but marvel has worked really hard to create the MCU. I doubt they would be okay with tainting it with Once just to help SHIELD ratings.

3. Jarv says:

Scandal & How To Get Away With Murdee

4. Sara says:

American Horror Story & Scream Queens

5. BarbaraDarlin says:

Elementary & Persons of Interest

6. Bruckss says:

Shondaland?

• Emily says:

Yeah that’s what I thought… it’s gotta be Shondaland, right?

• Delirious says:

Shondaland = shared DNA… Read, people!

• Christine says:

I didn’t necessarily take the DNA comment to mean a common writer, executive producer, etc. I took it to mean that the premises of the shows and the worlds that they exist in are completely different. Unlike Chicago Fire, Chicago PD and SVU, where they can easily intertwine a crime into all three shows

• T.W.123 says:

My exact thoughts, for sure. It’s probably Scandal + HTGAWM? But if given that the Blind refers to having to go through significant creative jumps to make the storyline possible, I’m thinking it could also be Greys mixed with either of the other two shows as well.

7. masterchoi says:

Is it too soon to call a Supergirl + Flash/Arrow crossover? CBS? CW?

8. Lizzie says:

Grey’s Anatomy / Scandal or HTGAWM ?

• CC says:

Gret’s and Scandal will never have a crossover. They exist in two different universes because Thatcher, Ellis and Henry from Grey’s are alive and well as Cyrus, Sally and Jake in Scandal.

• CC says:

Sorry, typo. “Grey’s”

• Lizzie says:

Oh ok (I don’t watch Scandal so…). Well maybe Scandal and HTGAWM (which makes more sense than my 1st idea !)

• Amelia says:

The shows could easily do a crossover, relating to a client being on trial for murder and being represented by Annalise and Co. so I’m guessing that isn’t it.

• Scarlett says:

Wait…while your point remains the same, Ellis and Henry are SO not alive in Grey’s world.
        Wouldn’t that be a strange and funny crossover though, many awkward reunions. They are secretly all leading second lives.

Plus they already confirmed Obama is President in GA.

• lrdslvrhnd says:

I think that’s his point – Thatcher, Ellis, and Henry are dead – but the actors playing them are (apparently) playing Cyrus, Sally and Jake on Scandal, and *they’re* all alive. So, same actors, different characters, couldn’t really exist together (plus the Obama thing.)

Admittedly, ,that would certainly require creative cartwheels! But as has been pointed out elsewhere, they definitely share the same DNA in Shona.

9. Gayle says:

Scandal and How to Get Away With Murder?

10. Steve says:

Once and AOS maybe?

11. MK says:

I would love to see Greys and Scandal but neither of those seem like a stretch creatively nor do they need the ratings boost.

12. Ben says:

Oh cripes Bones/X-Files

13. spindae2 says:

First thing on my mind Scorpion and The Good Wife.

14. mercedes says:

Vampire Diaries/Jane the Virgin?
    Veep/Game of Thrones?
    The Good Wife/CSI: Cyber?
    Castle/Agents of SHIELD?
    I’m not even completely sure what’s left on NBC anymore?

15. Dennis says:

I feel like it’s going to cross over a comedy with a dramaseries

16. Karen says:

Has to be ABC and a Shonda show, they’re one-trick ponies that way

17. lizzie says:

And people thought the use of “DNA” and “powers that be” in the previous items were hints that it’s Bones related… hmm… yeah sure.
    This sounds interesting, unless it’s shows I don’t watch…

18. Steven says:

I hate these Blind Items. This one is so vague. There’s no way to even guess.

19. George says:

Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D the musical…with Rayna James leading the charge (BOTH shows could use a ratings boosts…so).

20. Benn says:

This reeks of Once Upon a Time and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Right? Disney and 2 shows that arguably could use ratings help. But it seems like a disaster waiting to happen if it is these 2 shows.

21. A says:

Gambit could refer to The Queen’s Gambit, which would point to Arrow. Maybe some combination of Arrow/The Flash/Supergirl? Although, I think it’d make more sense to have Supergirl on The Flash rather than on Arrow, because Arrow’s supposed to be grounded.

Gambit is also the name of a Marvel character, so the crossover could also possibly involve a Marvel show (like AOS).

22. This has Shamda Rhimes all over it

23. Win says:

Pretty Little Liars and The Brink – 4…er, 5 girls and their haters are tasked with keeping enough secrets to prevent world war. :P

24. Mare says:

Jensen Ackles is finally getting his wish for the Winchesters to visit The Vampire Diaries!

25. Lea says:

This has Shonda Rhimes written all over it.

26. Dean says:

I heard NCIS and its second rate LA spin off are doing a crossover ep but the whole ‘diffrent DNA’ clue makes the idea debatable.

• Julie says:

LA is fun – not nearly as good as NCIS but entertaining enough. And it has Chris O’Donnell and he’s nice to look at. I can’t get into NCIS:NO though. I thought I read somewhere (or MW may have tweeted about it) that DiNozzo was going to show up in LA next season but this clearly not what the blind item is referring to.

27. Julio says:

I don’t know why i think it’s between Once and SHIELD, or it could be Shondaland that would have sense

28. Tina says:

Has to be Greys and Scandal. Grey’s ratings have been are hurting and they could have a two part /2 hour crossover with Scandal. Makes the most sense because both shows will benefit.

29. phillygalnow says:

Empire & HTGAWM!!! Lucious needs a lawyer!!!!

30. Ed says:

Do Scandal and How To Get Away With Murder share wildly different DNA?

If it’s Shondaland shows I am guessing that it is Grey’s and Scandal.

It could be cool if it was Supergirl and Scorpion

31. Meme says:

The dream crossover would be Empire/How to Get Away with Murder/ Scandal…ijs! It would be a win-win for Fox and ABC!

32. Chris says:

The Odd Couple and POI

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

“…a crossover event between two of its drama series..” (Paragraph 2)

• John NYC says:

Damn and there I was hoping for the clash of the Castle and Bones fandom…..

• c-mo says:

Only if someone wants to kill off the entirety of the Baby Boomers! And haters go away, I’m one that would get killed off!

• A3rynSun76 says:

Would it count as a crossover if a character on a previously cancelled show joined the cast of a running show…Like Nolan from Revenge joining HTGAWM as was suggested on this site a couple months ago…

33. Chuck says:

Why is everyone guessing Shondaland shows? He clearly said the shows have wildly different DNA, and all Shondaland shows have one EP.

34. Gilded Lady says:

Gotham and Flash or Arrow?

35. Rob says:

Sleepy Hollow and Supernatural

• Angela says:

As noted, the shows are on the same network, so that can’t be it. Besides, they’re both supernatural-oriented, and this blind item implies the two shows involved would be drastically different, hence the surprise at them crossing over.

36. Castle and SHIELD – both are Marvel so it’s possible, but different DNA, I’m sure

37. rupstorm says:

Time travel so Shield can meet Agent Carter. That would blow my mind for sure

38. Tim says:

Supergirl and Flash

39. BK says:

Castle and Scandal when Beckett is running for state senator.

• Jim says:

That would be awesome! You know Olivia would be busy with all the trouble Castle gets into.

• BM says:

I was thinking the same thing. I’m not a fan of crossovers because they usually feel forced and it doesn’t make sense to have the characters cross over but that really would have potential to be interesting.

• tv fan says:

ha ha ha ha ha ha you know he gets into lots of trouble!

• Lindsey says:

This is the first suggestion that I would actually be interested in seeing, mainly b/c the tone of each show is so different. Castle is so goofy (most of the time) and Scandal is so serious.

• Lindsey says:

Rats, I saw a comment further down and it made a good point. It would be hard since they share an actress. Alexis’ mom is Abby on Scandal. Too complicated.

• BK says:

Just imagine it Castle looking at her and is thinking it is Meredith lol.

• CastleBuzz says:

It wouldn’t be hard to carry out IF the writers made it that one show (Castle) was “real life” and the other (Scandal) was the TV show. The recurring Castle character Meredith, played by Darby Stanchfield, is Rick’s first ex-wife and Alexis’s mother. She is also an actress. The plot could be something like Meredith has a role on Scandal (which Darby does as Abby) where a murder takes place on location in NYC that implicates some of the Scandal stars, including Meredith. Beckett and Castle are on the case. Imagine the interrogation scenes between Kate and Meredith, Kate and Olivia/Kerry, etc. So fun!

• c-mo says:

I LOVE this idea!!!

40. Jenny says:

I’m gonna go cable show and prime time… That would be event television. I think the nightwing show/gotham would be obvious

41. Nicki says:

Maybe something on TNT? He said it could be a cable show.

42. Giovanns says:

My dream ? DOCTOR WHO + SHERLOCK

But I know it’s never happening. Also it woudn’t be hard at all to make sense AND pretty sure the blind item would mention something about being british

• Leah says:

They’re also both 100% Steven Moffat. Not much cartwheeling there; if he wants it to happen, it will.

• Lucia says:

Moffat is all in, both actors turned him down. They believe it will never live up to the hype, so better not do it

43. percysowner says:

Supernatural and IZombie? Or maybe TVD? OUAT and Glavant?

44. Susan says:

I would love to see a crossover between Castle and Scandal, but not as a traditional crossover. The actress who has played Alexis’ mom (Meredith), Castle’s first ex-wife also plays a character on Scandal (Darby S.). It would be tricky, but it would be unique. Everything would probably have to occur on Castle with bts scenes at the Scandal set.

Within the Castle universe Meredith could be the actress who plays Abby, instead of Darby, on the TV Show Scandal. Meredith gets into some type of trouble and Castle and Beckett end up helping her out…and that requires going behind the scenes at Scandal. It could be a two-part episode on Castle and they could make it clear which episode was used for the behind the scenes action so both groups of fans tune into both shows to check it all out.

I don’t recall something like this being done before so it would probably generate a lot of press for both shows.

• CastleBuzz says:

Very clever, Susan. Both shows are dramas, both on same network, both need a ratings boost, and they don’t share DNA. Fits the description. Really unique idea to take advantage of Meredith in Castle being an actress on Scandal. In the crossover, Castle would be the “real” world and Scandal the TV show. Whether or not this is the blind item, someone should suggest it to the shows’ showrunners. It could be fun!

45. Luis says:

Castle and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Won’t happen but it would be soooooooooo awesome

46. I’ve got it! The Muppets and Scandal! Miss Piggy sleeps with the President! :-)

47. Anon says:

Criminal Minds and SuperGirl

• Angela says:

Oh, wow, that’d be interesting. Certainly would be quite the way to help introduce “Supergirl” to the public.

48. Luis says:

I have always wondered whether Disney would consider incorporating Marvel characters into OUAT. Given how much myth and legend OUAT delves into and Marvel deals with “gods” of numerous mythologies, it would make an interesting fit

49. MzTeaze says:

Scorpion and Criminal Minds.

• That would be fun. See how Reid stacks up against multiple geniuses (but I think he has a higher IQ than the ones in Scorpion. I’d watch that)

• Olivia says:

I’d watch the hell out of that !!

I can imagine a hacker-off between Penelope & Ralph, “interactions” between Cabe/Hotch, Paige/JJ discovering things in common, Toby being like a kid at Disneyland with the BAU, Reid/Walter trying to get into each other’s brain, Reid/Ralph sharing cute moments, Happy and Morgan getting along well (then awkwardness – and hilarity – ensues as Toby and Garcia side-eye them), Sylvester and Garcia being weirdos together… oh the possibilities!

I didn’t know that I needed this to happen but now I’m frustrated that it will probably never happen :/

• matty says:

This is genius!

• tv fan says:

that would be a good one, I’d watch not much of a fan of either show but would love to see them together.