Fall TV: NCIS vs. Stamos vs. Muppets, and Tuesday's Other DVR Dilemmas

TV Calendar Fall 2015

The Fall TV season will be here before you know it, and with it comes exciting, new viewing choices. And the time to get dwelling on those DVR dilemmas is now.

RELATED Fall TV: Your Handy Calendar of 90+ Premiere Dates

All this week, TVLine is presenting you with the grids for each night’s fall line-up, including Big 5 fare and the likely cable competition. You then vote for what you plan to watch “live” in each time slot.

THIS NEXT GRAF IS SO IMPORTANT, DON’T STOP READING YET! NBC’s Tuesday roll-out plan this year didn’t lend itself easily to this poll, seeing as there are six different permutations starting Sept. 15 (see crazy chart). So what Imma gonna do is fast-forward to Nov. 17, and base the polls on that “official” line-up.

(If you are hung up on my use of the word “live” in this discussion, I invite/ implore you to instead vote for your “Top Priority” in each slot. Semantics solved!)
WTWtuesday2015r1NOTES ABOUT THE TUESDAY GRID: This represents face-offs taking place for at least six weeks of the fall TV season — thus, we’re including ABC’s Wicked City (debuting Oct. 27) and excluding TNT’s Public Morals (which ends Oct. 20). Details on new shows (listed in RED) can be found at these links: The Bastard Executioner, Chicago Med, Grandfathered, The Grinder, Limitless, The Muppets, Scream Queens, Wicked City.

RELATED Fall TV Grid: Your Guide to What’s on When, Versus What

Want scoop on fall shows? Email insideline@tvline.com!

1. therealmollyg says:

This is a CBS night!

2. Jack says:

Its 2015. Why would anyone watch anything live? Thats just silly.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Thanks for chiming in!

• The Watcher says:

This was my thought as well. If the question had been ‘What will you be watching from Tuesdays this fall?’ I’d say… I’ll be watching “The Flash”, “iZombie”, “The Muppets”, “Fresh Off The Boat”, Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD” as returning favorites with a proven track record AND I’ll be checking out “Limitless”, “Scream Queens”, & “Wicked”
      Now that’s not to say I won’t also be watching NCIS, NCIS:NO, or Chicago Med/Fire/PD, but I’ve specifically saved those shows to watch at the end of the season so I don’t have to watch Week2Week.

• Amy says:

I have to say I agree. I like to keep certain shows recorded and then binge watch them all together. I hate having to wait for the next week come. This way I feel like I don’t have to wait. Spoilers don’t ruin the experience of watching it myself though I already know what will happen. It’s like reading the last page of a book but then still wanting to read the book to find out what lead to the outcome.

• Win says:

There are a lot of cord-cutters, but not everyone is there. I tend to answer these polls as “what I will/am excited to watch first” when I’m aiming to view TV. As late as a year ago, I answered based on what I’d start 7-15 minutes in via DVR. Now I answer in order of what I’ll watch streaming first when it’s available. I appreciate the prompt as is, though I guess Matt could say “no TVLine for you” (…again) if it was supposed to be answered only to those standards.

• Ellinas1978 says:

Did you read the paragraph that explains what they mean by “live”? To me “live” means starting at 15 after to skip commercials, so we all say “live” and don’t mean live.

• Rachel says:

Seriously, thank you! Sheesh

• graze says:

Thanks for clearing up what live means. As lots of people have said, I don’t watch anything “live” if live means sitting through commercials. Just wait about 20 mins and zip through commercials so it’s more what shows will I watch on the night they are scheduled to be on TV.

• John NYC says:

The people that BUY the airtime only care about “live”, shows don’t get paid for, and so nobody gets to watch, when they don’t get their commercial time bought. Nobody on those shows work for free.

• Angela says:

Some people don’t have DVRs? That IS a thing, you know. Either that or they don’t have DVRs that can record as many shows as some people’s can.
      And some people do honestly still prefer watching some of their favorite shows live when they can. I’m one who does DVR things, but who also still likes to watch my favorite shows live when I can. It’s just old habit for me. Why is that so weird to some people?

• Win says:

Additionally, some have live home or public viewing parties with friends/coworkers/patons each week for a show they love. I worked at a bar where Sundays were slow, so they started airing Desperate Housewives and served themed drinks. Commercials were good talking/restroom/ordering times. Plus…some people seem to actually like commercials (I enjoy the occasional one, but I don’t generally sit through them and like to seek them out). :0 I think those people all live in Antartica, though, so that probably doesn’t make for great numbers…

3. zac says:

Oh wow. 9pm time slot’s gonna be difficult. SHIELD vs Scream Queens vs iZombie.

4. bar says:

Slim pickings on Tuesday I see. Looks like it will remain my catch-up night. Scream Queens is my only substantial draw.

5. BrittBrat says:

Tuesdays @ 9 PM is a busy hour.

6. webly3 says:

The Flash. Scream Queens. Limitless.

DVR: Fresh Off the Boat & iZombie & Fargo (when it eventually comes on)

7. Sarah_ says:

The Flash and iZombie and might DVR: Scream Queens

8. Sarah_ says:

The Flash and iZombie and i might DVR: Scream Queens..

9. colig says:

i dvr everything. I have barely watched a commercial in years. I can record 4 shows at the same time so i’m good with this.

10. thisismenow says:

The first dilemma for me. Tuesday at 10 PM…Chicago Fire and Fargo are a must for me, but I want to see Wicked City and Limitless also. :\ Monday was simple, since all I watched before the new shows was Castle. Hopefully, Fargo is repeated at another time so I can further debate using my DVR for Wicked City or Limitless. Grrr

11. J. Norman says:

It’s too bad for Fresh Off the Boat,.
    It will get absolutely destroyed in this time slot. 2 reasons.
    1) It is a 1/2 hour show going up against 2 popular hour long shows (at least with their respective fan bases), so they won’t get anyone to leave those shows at the 1/2 hour mark.

2) The Muppets will not provide a strong lead in. It is a very 1980’s – 1990’s show.

12. Mr. Tran K says:

The Flash and Agents of SHIELD are on my Tuesday night watch list. Don’t know if Grandfathered and/or Grinder are going to breakout in their rookie seasons. The Muppets is definitely worth watching and I can’t wait for the new season of Fresh Off the Boat (even though I’m Asian American) because of Constance Wu. The 10 p.m. Tuesday night time slot is getting tougher with new dramas Limitless and Wicked City and the returning Chicago Fire. I have a feeling Wicked City (ABC) is not my cup of tea and the series’ trailer scared the crap out of me especially for Ed Westwick (always be Chuck Bass from Gossip Girl) in another dark role.

13. HeatherC says:

I gave up SHIELD this past season so Chicago Med and Chicago Fire will be my only live shows on Tuesday nights. I’ll watch Voice whenever I can but it’s not must see for me on Tuesdays. =)

14. Dean says:

NCIS first and foremost.
    Izombie surprised how much I enjoyed it. May watch Chicago Med out of curiosity love Laurie Holden.

15. Simon Jester says:

Muppets + iZombie

16. Steven says:

The Muppets, Grandfathered, The Grinder, The Flash, Chicago Med, iZombie, Scream Queens, Chicago Fire, Limitless, and Wicked City. I have a lot on Tuesdays. Though I’m sure I’ll drop some of the new shows.

17. Ellinas1978 says:

Can we get a none option, so it doesn’t get lost with the other “others”.

18. Jared says:

I’ll be watching The Flash and Scream Queens live and catch up on iZombie either on DVR or On Demand.

19. Jimpy says:

It would be interesting to see a. comparison of last years polls verses last years viewers because I m pretty sure NCIS didn’t finish on top of the poll last year. Ditto NCIS New Orleans.

• getoverit says:

NCIS has a older demo and are less likely to vote on online polls.

• Jimpy says:

True. Online polls are pretty much the most scientifically inaccurate polls. I’m surprised the voice is getting such small numbers in the poll. I’m not going to watch it, it definitely finishes fourth at eight in my book.

20. Maria says:

NCIS live on Tuesdays at 8. Anything except ABC at 10 because I’m still ticked that Forever isn’t coming back. Come to think of it, maybe I’ll just read a book.

21. Jeff Lutz says:

The poll is kind of misleading in this day and age. There are many nights when I watch more than one show during an hour and I rarely watch them during that hour anyway. I watch them at my leisure over the next day or so.

• John NYC says:

And so, for the show’s future well being, you don’t count (and neither do I): people that watch shows live and so watch the commercials that PAY for the show do count.

• kikjj says:

The poll clearly ask what show will you watch live.

22. bj says:

Tuesdays make me so happy that DVRs were invented. lol

• Jennifer says:

This is why I love Dish. Tape all 4 major networks automatically with room to record / watch 2 others. Tuesdays are tough.

23. brandydanforth81 says:

I’ll try Scream Queens & watch/dvr izombie

24. Ally Oop says:

Tuesday’s this fall are a little better than last season but it’s still not a busy night for me. It’s a night of complete comedy for me with Grandfathered, The Muppets, Raised by Wolves and Fresh off the Boat.Comedies are never “Must See” for me but all of these comedies will be “Will See Soon” as comedies are quick-viewing and easy to watch when I have a few minutes free.

25. Kim R says:

We don’t watch anything live anymore. At the most, we delay it for 20 minutes so we can skip the commercials. As far as what we watch on Tuesdays – NCIS & NCIS:NO, The Flash, AOS.

26. JC1 says:

Flash at 8:00, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. at 9:00, the NCISes later.

27. Ed says:

I am boycotting NBC. Only CBS and ABC will only be allowed on my TV’S for now. Besides that NBC has no good programming at this time in my opinion.

28. CourtTV says:

I’m torn between iZombie and AoS. I’ll watch iZombie “live” (or first on my DVR). I actually liked Agent Carter better than AoS.

29. herman1959 says:

The Flash followed by NCIS: New Orleans (same as last year). I’ll catch up with The Muppets on Wednesday via hulu. I have a feeling that Grandfathered and The Grinder don’t have long for this world if they are both left in these timeslots. Matt, get your eraser ready!

30. Nick says:

Tuesdays are going to be a nightmare for me.
    I plan to watch:

The Flash
    The Muppets
    Grandfathered
    The Grinder
    Agents of SHIELD
    Scream Queens
    iZombie
    Limitless

…Yeah…so there’s that.

31. Brigid says:

No problem on Tuesdays for me.
    The Flash
    SHIELD
    Wicked City
    I’ll DVR The Muppets for me and my daughter!

32. Gail says:

Since Person To Person is no longer on Tuesday at 10, I will be watching nothing live at that time.

33. Misti says:

Tuesdays are going to kill me.

34. Ben says:

I do not understand how anyone can think this ‘screams’ olicity when they literally only got together one minute before the end of the last episode. How could them breaking up completely change the DNA of the show? They’ve already broken up like twice already.

• Ben says:

Wow, I learned my lesson having multiple TVLine tabs open at once. This comment is a complete fail – it does not belong on this article lol.

35. Pat says:

I watch CBS on Tuesday nights. I DVR The Flash and I Zombie. So I have no problem with the Fall season coming up. I am just continuing what I did this past season.

36. Sheldon W. says:

8:00 – NCIS (been hooked for eleven years, might as well go with the flow)
    Timeshift/record: The Flash, The Muppets

9:00 – SHIELD (just keeps getting better and better)
    Timeshift/record: iZombie, NCIS: NOLA, Scream Queens

10:00 – Limitless
    Timshift or record: Wicked City

Nothing else appeals to me.

37. Ram510 says:

This is much tougher than that lame Monday!
    THE FLASH ALL THE WAY!!!
    However it’s tough because I also want to watch Fresh Off The Boat. Both Grandfathered and Grinder are highly anticipated for me as well so the 8 o’clock hour will be busy. I can just dvr The Voice and fast forward through all the talking and “judging”. I might give Scream Queens a shot but still don’t even know what it’s about. I don’t care about anything at 10. So basically 8pm is dilemma for

• Ram510 says:

Actually I may try Wicked City. And I’ll also casually tune in to Shield for heavily buzzed about episodes

38. Maryann says:

This is all pretty meaningless as far as I am concerned; what airs opposite what has little to do with what I will watch. A good example is Tuesday at 9. I plan to watch ALL the shows listed for that time period.

39. meatwad says:

Flash Shield then a see which is better between Wicked and Limitless. Kurt Sutter has my trust so Bastard will be recorded during the second showing

40. Jennifer says:

Tuesday night at 8 is TOUGH!!! The Flash, NCIS, Muppets, Grandfathered … oh how to choose???? Looks like Wednesday mornings are going to be hard on me. I will have to watch until midnight to catch up!!!

41. c.Stulz says:

I don’t watch anything live anymore, but The Muppets is tops on my list this fall!

42. Miffy says:

The Muffins are going to bomb against NCIS and Voice. Then they won’t even be able to get a movie deal again.

43. I can honestly say I will be watching nothing on Tuesday from the major networks. None of these shows are appealing enough for me to want to watch.

44. HOW ABOUT I MAKE IT SHORT AND SWEET IF ZIVA DOES NOT RETURN YOU WILL LOSE AN ALREADY SHAKY NCIS FOREVER. ALSO GIBBS BETTER BE BACK ALIVE AND WELL.