Fall TV: Supergirl vs. Young Batman, and Monday's Other DVR Dilemmas

TV Calendar 2015

The Fall TV season will be here before you know it, and with it comes exciting — sometimes excruciating — viewing choices. And the time to get dwelling on those DVR dilemmas is now.

All this week, TVLine is presenting you with the grids for each night’s fall line-up, including Big 5 fare and the likely cable competition. You then vote for what you plan to watch “live” during each time slot.

(If you are forever hung up on my use of the word “live,” I invite/implore you to instead vote for your “Top Priority” in each time slot. Semantics solved!)
TV Calendar Fall 2015NOTES ABOUT THE MONDAY GRID: This represents face-offs taking place for at least six weeks of the fall TV season — thus, we’ve skipped past the Big Bang/Life in Pieces hour that opens CBS’ season. Details on new shows (listed in RED) can be found at these links: Blindspot, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Minority Report, Supergirl.

RELATED Fall TV Grid: Your Guide to What’s on When, Versus What

Want scoop on fall shows? Email insideline@tvline.com!

1. B says:

Supergirl’s the only thing I know I’ll be watching. I’ll try Crazy Ex and Blindspot. And with Jane the Virgin, I’ve decided I only need to watch premieres, finales and buzzed-about episodes since half the show is tacky voiceover summaries anyway. It’s not worth watching week-to-week.

• Ally Oop says:

I’m kind of in agreement with you about Jane the Virgin. I still like the show but the last 6 episodes are still sitting on my DVR. Definitely not a Must See show for me.

• B says:

It could be but it generates content so slowly. It could do everything it did in S1 in a half hour or half the amount of episodes. Plus it gets so redundant. I know what happened last episode or even 15 minutes. I watched it.

• zac says:

I find Jane the Virgin as a fast paced show. I mean, they couldve stretched out the reveal of SIn Rostro the whole season or a slow burn of Rafael and Jane’s romance but they didnt. And the Narrator is so delightful.

2. Jay says:

The sad part about this is that as much I want to try and watch “LIVE” I will most likely just end up DVRing everything anyway. It is the most convenient for me (and, I suspect, a lot of other viewers) which makes it that much more tragic that they still rely so heavily on LiVE ratings when it is just not the norm anymore.

• I haven’t watched a “live” TV show in 3 years. DVR all the way. Some shows i don’t get to until the season is over and I watch them over the summer.

• Rachel says:

Same for me too

• John NYC says:

They are in the business of selling the commercial time we DVR people tend to skip over. We may be eyeballs, but we’re commercially irrelevant eyeballs.

• Grey says:

At Jay; I totally agree with you. I have to get up at 4, 4:15 AM for work so staying up to 10PM to watch stuff live isn’t an option for me for most nights. I have to watch certain shows delayed or walk around like a zombie the next day – and that’s a whole different show, lol.

3. Missy Kelly says:

But I’m DVRing Supergirl, Blindspot, minority report & crazy ex

4. My DVR is going to hate me on Monday nights

5. Mary Ann says:

Thanks for giving us the top priority choice. I, probably like a lot of other viewers, don’t watch anything “live”. I call it “tape delay’. I will watch it when it is over so I can zip through the commercials. If it one of my favorite shows, I will watch it the same night.

6. Kim R says:

We try to DVR everything and avoid commercials. Most likely we will watch previously recorded shows from the night before and so on.

7. JC1 says:

Supergirl at 8:00, Scorpion at 9:00, and then NCIS LA at 10:00, though I plan to watch all three 10pm shows, at least at first.

8. diane says:

I’m going to try the new show at 10. Castle and NCISLA are becoming boring to me so I may watch them on ON Demand later in the week.

9. spindae2 says:

Giving SG a shot as Gotham was surprisingly underwhelming throughout season 1, but I saw the pilot and honestly, not hooked at all.
    Scorpion at 9pm and Blindspot at 10pm.

10. Kate says:

I chose DWTS (and the Voice, I flip) because Fox On Demand isn’t that horrible (I mean, a few too many New Girl commercials, but tolerable) and I also go back and forth on Gotham. I’m recording CBS 8-10. I will likely finish my night with Supergirl. Switched at Birth, well, much like the Chasing Life dilemma that presents itself next week, well, you are either a week behind or if you replay after the 700 Club or whatever.

11. Supergirl is going to Supersuck.

• Lizo says:

Nope, it’s going to be delightful

• nhogan47 says:

Guess you would know, huh?

• jlo says:

since a lot of people have already watched the leaked pilot he may well already know. and yeah, it super-sucks

• Mr. Tran K says:

CBS really have high hopes for Supergirl whether or not it’s going to become one of the breakout hits of the Fall TV season and I’m not so sure if the Eye network is considering it as one of the candidates for its post Super Bowl episode come February 7th or maybe Scorpion.

12. Dude says:

Jane the Virgin is my only schedule fixture but I’m excited for Supergirl and will likely watch that as well provided they can maintain the quality of the pilot.

13. GeoDiva says:

Wow…. There is nothing I want to watch on Monday nights.

14. I should add that it will only be Monday Night Football if I care about the team playing. Otherwise after watching Gotham “LIVE” it would be Scorpion and then Castle.

15. Mr. Tran K says:

Supergirl, Scorpion and Blindspot are on my Monday night watch list. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend should be a huge flop even though the series is a musical (just by the look of the trailer).

16. Ally Oop says:

I don’t watch anything live but the shows I do watch tend to fall into three categories:
    1) Must See ASAP- shows I like so much I watch them as soon as I can
    2) Will See Soon – shows I like but episodes tend to build up to a few before I get to watching
    3) May or May Not Watch Eventually – with so much on in today’s tv age, there’s not enough time to watch everything I want to watch so if shows in this category stay on my DVR longer than 6 months I usually delete them
    ***
    On Mondays there’s nothing “Must See ASAP” for me. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Jane the Virgin and new Canadian drama This Life, fall into the “Will See Soon” category. Blindspot and Supergirl fall into the May or May Not Watch” category as neither had enticing trailers but I’ll watch the first two episodes to make a final decision (I’ve learned never to judge a show by its trailer or pilot).

17. CourtTV says:

I’ll watch Supergirl live at first and DVR Switched at Birth. I’ve given up on Gotham.

18. CourtTV says:

For 9pm, I LOVE Jane the Virgin, so Minority Report would have to be awesome for me to turn to that. I’ll DVR to give it a chance.

19. Ally Oop says:

I work a combo of day shifts, evening shifts and night shifts, so watching live TV isn’t convenient for me. I tend to watch most tv in the morning or before I go to bed. I never watch TV during primetime as I’m usually busy with my kids or out somewhere doing stuff or I’m watching tv with the husband watching a “compromise show” because we have very little shows we both actually like in common.

20. mike says:

Only thing I watch live is TBBT repeats. Everything else is recorded, if only for the first half hour. Cannot abide all the commercials. I see no conflicts on Monday except for Castle, LA and Blindspot. I’ll keep LA on the 2nd dvr

21. Lizo says:

debating even watching Minority Report. Fox has burned us too many times offering cool programming only to cancel it in its first season. I’m *still* bitter about Almost Human. I’m not a Neilson viewer so it doesn’t matter.

22. Maria says:

Scorpion at 9, especially now that Alana de la Garza is going to be a series regular. Castle at 10, mostly because I’ve watched it up til now and I might as well see how it ends.

23. Thomas hunter says:

Watching SUPERGIRL live. Then at 9 I’ll fire up the DVR and watch GOTHAM. As for the rest – meh

24. Steven says:

Supergirl all the way. It’s my number one show I’m most excited for and can’t wait to see it. Hope it becomes a smash hit worldwide. I’m looking forward to Scorpion also.

25. Ro says:

Only Castle…

26. Ann says:

I’m going to give Supergirl a few viewings, mainly because I enjoy the other shows that the producer has done: The Flash and Arrow. I’ve already removed Gotham from my DVR after the end of last season. I gave it an entire season to let it grow on me but it never did. Jane the Virgin next, then I’ll give BlindSpot a chance.

27. Not a network show, but I’ll be watching Teen Wolf at 10pm. It’s the *only* show I watch live anymore.

28. Andrea says:

Only Castle for me. I may try Supergirl but I’m still not really sure on that.

29. Davin Peterson says:

This is a problem when I want to watch 3-4 shows at the same time, which to DVR and which to watch live

30. LT says:

IMO, it looks like The CW has the best line up of the night…

31. Jack says:

Nothing should get watched live. DVR everything so you can forward.

32. Kris says:

Ill watch dwts live and DVR Supergirl, Scorpion, and Blindspot..

33. Jake says:

Still annoyed Supergirl and Gotham has same time slot. I wish one of them would change. Though I DVR them both so I guess it doesn’t matter

34. brandydanforth81 says:

I’ll watch & dvr BBT on Mon til Nov,Jane the Virgin for sure.Ill try Crazy Ex Girlfriend.

35. dman6015 says:

Still amazes me that DC Comics doesn’t have a standard clause in their contracts with the producers/networks that says none of their TV show products can compete against each other.

36. thisismenow says:

Castle is pretty much it for me on Monday. :( I might try Blindspot though.

37. Gotham challenges people’s expectations, while Supergirl meets them, thus lulling them into a place of comfort. I’m sticking with Gotham.

38. webly3 says:

Supergirl then Jane the Virgin. I’ll try Blindspot and Minority Report. And DVR DWTS if the cast isn’t full of people who aren’t actually famous.

39. Dean says:

Supergirl for me. For the first time in a long time I actually have a TV show to watch at the 8pm hour on Monday. Scorpion I may give a shot if anything to pass the time between Supergirl and Blindspot.

40. Matt says:

Only SAB, DWTS and Castle

41. James says:

Dancing with the Stars live!

42. nhogan47 says:

I will probably be DVR’ing Gotham, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and Castle, and watching Supergirl, Minority Report and Blindspot. Of course, I change this all the time based on how things are going, and there will be a solid month of Gotham before Supergirl premieres.

43. ? says:

I find this poll hard to believe Jane the Virgin will rate better than the Voice.

44. Alex Mindev says:

OK so I will not be watching any of these live, can’t remember the last time I did not DVR a show, we’ll even wait 30 min at home and start watching a show after it’s been on the air for 30-40 min just so we can FF through the ads. DVR is a wonderful thing indeed:)

Now onto the show priority list:
    Super Girl
    Gotham
    Minority Report (only b/c I’m a huge fan of the Tom Cruise film)
    The Voice (wife’s guilty pleasure it gets DVR from time to time if there is no conflict)

Mondays are going to be super busy for our DVR…b/c we factor in TBBT being on Mondays for a while…PLUS MNF games!

45. Julio says:

Supergirl, Scorpion and Blindspot live, JTV and Castle DVR and Minority Report pilot On Demand

46. James D says:

the only one I have trouble with is Castle/Blindspot but even than my loyalty to Castle will make me watch it live just to support it that might change few episodes in we shall see how it goes, I’m very interested in Blindspot. I thought while Gotham improved with it’s final run of episodes it wasn’t nearly strong enough for me to watch live and I’m a giant DC nerd particularly a Superman/Supergirl nerd so that one is a no brainer. Liked the first half of Scorpion but it got old after that and Minority Report looks pretty cool even if its doom to failure just because it is Sci-Fi on Fox, Good luck with that.

47. tvguy says:

Now Mondays look like a busy night for me.

My returning and new shows are as follows:
    Returning shows

very next day and watch

Blindspot
    NCIS Los Angeles
    Gotham
    Minority Report
    Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
    either next day or during that week

Might be interesting which of the new ones I lose interest in and
    end up in my watch later on collection.
    But this is a interesting start to the tv week.

48. NP says:

Would love to watch DWTS live since it’s actually a live show but my kids love it and they can’t stay up til 10. Sometimes I wish it was the days when programming started at 7 so we could enjoy DWTS together

49. Eight o’clock – probably DVR-ing SUPERGIRL and GOTHAM and watching SUPERGIRL first, based on how much I loved the pilot. I’ll sample MY CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND. If I decide to stick with it, I’ll likely watch on Hulu, although I might like it enough to give it the second DVR spot and watch GOTHAM on Hulu instead.

At nine, JANE THE VIRGIN gets DVR slot #1 automatically, I love that show. I’m gonna give MINORITY REPORT a try, that will get the second DVR spot if its sticks, but I can’t imagine I’ll watch it before JANE THE VIRGIN.

As for ten o’clock, I’m trying BLINDSIDE. The other DVR spot will probably have cool cable shows in it or it won’t get filled.

50. ninergrl6 says:

As a longtime Jeremy Jordan fan, Supergirl is my #1 priority on Mondays.