TV's Best Gay Weddings from Grey's, Brothers & Sisters, Fosters and More

Best Gay TV Weddings

The Supreme Court’s ruling on Friday to recognize all same-sex marriages nationwide is a landmark on the road to equality — and we can think of a few small-screen couples raising a glass in celebration.

In honor of this historic ruling, TVLine is looking back at some of our favorite same-sex unions from classic shows like Friends and Roseanne — the latter of which was the first series to show a recurring gay character get married — plus new(er) favorites like Brothers & Sisters and The Fosters.

And even though several of the couples on our list are no longer together — here’s to you, Calzona! — that doesn’t detract from the gravity of their promising nuptials. (In other words, turn off your hindsight before clicking through the gallery.)

Browse our gallery of gay weddings below, then drop a comment: Which made-for-TV ceremony was your favorite?

1. JessicaR says:

I love both actresses, so I fell in love with the couple. They had great chemistry. Unfortunately, AMC was being written by that hack Charles Pratt and he thought it would be great having a lesbian kiss a man the night before the wedding. Pratt is currently destroying Y&R.

• Angela says:

I forgot about Reese! I mainly remember that one girlfriend of Bianca’s with the accent-Lena. I liked that pairing. But yeah, Reese and Bianca were good together, too.
      Love seeing Leon and Scott from “Roseanne” in here, too :D. TV’s been a little ahead of the curve in some ways, judging from the years some of these weddings took place.

2. H says:

Shoving it down my throath. What a shame for this once proud and homophobic country.

• David4 says:

I hope this is a joke because you are on a website that is run by an openly gay man.

If you aren’t joking either come out of the closet or be raptured to heaven already so the rest of us can be happy.

• Et al says:

Don’t you worry. I’d imagine nobody is interested in shoving anything down your throat.

• LADY_in_MD says:

I have a question for you
      You wake up every morning sure as hell that you are straight then why can’t you understand that some people wake up and like the same sex why is that so hard for you to understand? This country is changing for the better!

• Angela says:

Being homophobic isn’t anything to be proud of. Also, don’t speak for the country at large, because there’s many of us who aren’t homophobic.
      Your side lost. And for a very good reason. Deal with it.

• dan says:

it’s not about sides, it’s about human dignity and freedom, let’s be happy and let’s be gracious winners!

3. Missy says:

I know the Wedding didn’t happen but I’m still a fan of Shane and Carmen’s almost nuptials in The L Word’s Season 3 finale :)

4. LADY_in_MD says:

I loved Mitch and Cam’s wedding it’s one of my favorite TV weddings!

5. Whatevah says:

I’ve seen a lot of these weddings mentioned and each and I was emotional for each and every one of them. *sniff* I just love a good wedding. :)

6. Rebecca says:

Can I get a Bette & Tina wedding now?!

7. Eric7740 says:

Thank you for remembering daytime dramas!!! Two landmark weddings for the daytime drama community!!! Rianca and Wilson!!!

8. Joey says:

Well thanks for shoving Kurt and Blaine into that list. If you were trying to make me vomit, you succeeded.

9. skrable2 says:

Ron and Eric’s wedding on “Northern Exposure” should be on this list … especially since it ends with an earthquake!

10. skrable2 says:

Ron and Eric’s wedding on “Northern Exposure” … especially since it ended with an eartrhquake!

11. Nayshimi says:

Now that wil be the headlines fro months and months to come the supreme court had legalized same sex marriages in all 50 states. Geez some headlines!! I apologize but I am a bit tired of hearing gays news every single day every time I try to read normal news and upps there are some gays news out there. Cant they live their lives discreetly like normal couple and do not force other people to accept their sexual status? I mean do what you have to do and period. But do not oblige people who cant accept your status to accept you just because is what the law dictates. Noone can force anyone to accept things I mean just becaue you are gay or lesbo or trans does not mean I have to like you, I can respect you but it does not mean I have to like you because things are changing. Two different things.

• Angela says:

Aw, you’re tired of hearing news about gay people? Well, guess what? You’re lucky that you can just click away from or scroll past those news stories if you so please. Gay people kind of don’t have the luxury of being able to do that with all the discrimination they’ve had to fight over the years-I think they have more right to be tired than you do.
      First off, love your constant need to differentiate “normal” couples from gay ones. Charming. Gay couples are normal.
      Second, plenty of straight couples don’t live their lives discreetly at all. Straight couples get to talk about their spouses at work without fear of being fired. Straight couples can gush about their upcoming weddings to family and friends. Straight couples can steal a kiss in public or hold hands without people giving them disgusted looks or calling them names. So if they get to do all of that, why shouldn’t gay couples? And who or what determines what is “discreet” behavior, anyway?
      You’re right that nobody can “force” people to accept or like things, but first off, people aren’t “things”, and second, I guess my question is, why wouldn’t anyone want to accept or like this? What is so wrong about accepting or liking the idea that same-sex couples can get married, or be in relationships, or deserve the same rights as straight people? Or accepting and liking gay/bi/trans people in general? Are you worried something will happen if you do accept or like this? ‘Cause I guarantee you you have nothing to worry about.
      Yes, the world is changing. And people who don’t like that fact will just have to find some way to deal with it.

• Whatevah says:

Isn’t there a news site you could jump on w/ this opinion? It’s a little weird you chose this site and this article to voice your opinion.

• H says:

We’ll take the respect, being liked by everyone isn’t a necessity.

12. Doug says:

I’m still hoping for Rizzoli & isles. They’ve been teasing us for too long.

• Violetblue says:

They are not gay, not even close! But the show runners keep teasing their huge fan following, too bad they fall for it.

13. BarryFlash says:

Don’t care

14. Violetblue says:

..on the other hand, Calzona, the tv gay couple that the writers can’t seem to make up their mind what to do with the anymore. Loved their wedding episode

15. IMHO says:

What a great week for the USA !
    Marriage Equality and Healthcare
    Hopefully the Supreme Court Ruling on both issues will finally put an end to the bickering.
    Neither issue requires mandatory participation by all citizens
    Live and let live and opt out if your don’t care for it.

16. Columbus says:

Stef and Lena on The Fosters

17. spignejr says:

Unfortunately, Willow and Tara will never be able to join these people! RIP Tara Maclay. Still Not over that one.

18. dan says:

WHERE IS DENNY CRANE AND ALAN SHORE?!?!?!?! Not only was it the best (technically) gay marriage, it was the Best marriage on TV ever. Lock, ban, delete, do over, roll some heads, I demand a recount! Denny Crane.

19. Homesick says:

Susan and Carol – Friends Because it captured the joy and the dread of such unions: the parents that might not get it, the exs that got hurt in the process, the families they had to build including all those elements into the mix. The fact the were still together by the final season of the show made it all the more rewarding.