Post Mortems

Rookie Blue Boss on Andy and Sam's 'Obstacle,' Juliet's Secret and More

Rookie Blue Season 6 Spoilers

Warning: The following contains spoilers for Thursday’s season premiere of Rookie Blue.

And baby makes… four?

On Thursday’s Season 6 premiere of Rookie Blue, Sam discovered that he’s going to be a father. However, the mom-to-be isn’t his current squeeze, Andy, but ex-girlfriend Marlo. And when McNally found out about the impending arrival from her beau (good boy!), she needed some time to herself to think and walked away on the verge of tears.

Despite the complicated romantic history among the three parties, “We never saw this season as a love triangle,” executive producer Tassie Cameron reassures TVLine. “This isn’t like, ‘Will Sam choose Marlo over Andy?’ That’s not what we were intending or going towards.”

Instead, the unexpected pregnancy acts as a “really real obstacle no one saw” coming, she says, and now it’s about exploring “how these two grownup people are going to deal with this.”

“We didn’t want to do a love triangle,” Cameron adds. “We wanted to do a life triangle.”

Below, the EP weighs in on 15 Division’s other couples — past, present and possibly future.

Rookie Blue Season 6 SpoilersNICK/JULIET | Not only is the mystery gal a newly transferred cop, but she’s also hiding something bigger. After getting into a car with an unknown-to-us man, she says she’ll brief him on what’s going on at 15 Division during the drive. So is Juliet good or bad news for Nick? “The fun of watching her journey unfold this season is not knowing whether she’s good or bad professionally and for Nick,” Cameron hedges. “She definitely has another agenda and a serious secret.” (Could she be connected to Dov and Marlo’s investigation? A member of Internal Affairs perhaps?) In the meantime, Nick and Juliet will continue to flirt with each other as they try to deny their chemistry. “It’s fun to watch somebody’s who’s very, very burnt after a couple of relationships that have gone south,” the EP says. “It’s interesting to watch that person decide whether they can trust somebody, and at the same time, we’re exploring whether that person is trustworthy. It was fun seeing Nick with somebody totally different.”

TRACI/STEVE | The detectives are tentatively back on, but they will “still have their challenges,” Cameron teases. However,  Bailey (the fairytale-ruiner guy from last season) won’t be one of them, at least not romantically. Instead, the serial rapist from the season opener “comes back to haunt the Division and, specifically, Traci.”

GAIL/HOLLY | The premiere may have left you wondering the whereabouts of Holly, who was last seen declaring that she wanted her girlfriend back. Sadly, the forensic pathologist will not return any time soon, the EP reveals. “Gail really does focus on this adoption story in Season 6,” she explains. “It doesn’t mean that love won’t find her, but it’s not going to be with Holly this season. We just felt she wasn’t quite ready. Many of us think Holly’s the love of her life but that Gail needs to do a tiny bit more growing up first.”

DOV/CHLOE | As teased in this week’s Ask Ausiello, the former couple is “perfect for each other,” according to Cameron. “So yes, there’s hope” for the lovebirds. But someone else also has his eye on Chloe.

CHRIS/JAMIE | Oh, Chris. The cop is clean, but his NA meetings have lead to a new kind of trouble: an affair with a married woman (played by Supernatural‘s Cindy Sampson). “What we were hoping to do is give Travis [Milne] an opportunity to do what he does so well,” Cameron describes. “He’s so funny, especially when he’s fumbling around in chaotic situations of his own poor judgment. There’s certainly tension in it for real. He is having an affair with Jarvis’ wife, but we’re trying to play it more for comedy actually.”

Rookie Blue fans, stay tuned to TVLine for lots more Season 6 scoop from Cameron. In the meantime, grade the season opener via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your pick.

1. maria says:

I just want Sam and Andy together and Marlo to go away. Really good episode.

2. Ian says:

Andy deserves better than the supposed love of her life being somebody else’s shock babydaddy. Why the hell weren’t he and Marlo using condoms and birth control? Like seriously.
    This isn’t turning out to be a season I feel like watching at all. The only other relationship I cared about was Gail and Holly. And what ever happened to Crystal? Dov kills her brother and somehow they made me believe there was a love connection, and the next thing I know he’s hooking up with Chloe’s goody behind in a bathroom stall and surprise she’s a cop and 2 seasons later Im supposed to be dying that they aren’t together?
    Showrunner interviews rarely make me happy.

3. Erica says:

Thanks for the interview. I enjoyed the episode. I loved Sam and Andy at Oliver’s cabin. They were so happy. It was Sad to see that crashing down. I really don’t know what I feel about Marlo. I’m not a fan of her’s. I’m thinking she’s the one that tried to kill Andy in the explosion. Maybe she’s faking this baby. I hope she doesn’t ruin Sam and Andy. They deserve to be happy. I hope they get that this season.

• Mari says:

Right?
      I meam, Sam has always been careful, and all the women he had never had an accident.
      Suddenly Marlo goes off her meds and then resurfaces pregnant.
      Not to put stigma on people with mental illness, mind you, but the show depicted her spiraling and then suddenly everything she says is okay? Let’s not forget that when she sensed things weren’t peachy anymore between her and Sam she went off her meds and made a mess risking other’s carrers.

Probably, since Tassie herself is a Nick/Andy shipper, she wanted to put life obstacles between the two, since her ship has sailed (the fan would have been outraged if N/A were to be endgame)

4. co2bl says:

I’m probably one of the few that loved Andy and Nick together. I’m tired of the Sam and Andy crap, will they or wont they. They had their chance and for me, Sam blew it. I liked Andy and Nick because I thought they had great chemistry. They were a breath of fresh air after all the Andy/Sam drama from previous seasons.

• AddieM says:

You are not alone. So tried of McSwarek too. I miss Andy and Nick…the rship was smooth, no drama, no complications. I also hate how their breakup was handled.

• Elisabeth says:

I am so with you! I cannot stand Sam or the actor who plays him. I loved Andy and Nick together. I have to fast forward Sam and Andy scenes cause they actually gross me out. Love everybody else except Gail being gay. So phony. I hate when shows conveniently turn people gay so they can all of a sudden have a gay character. If a character is gay MAKE THEM GAY FROM THE BEGINNING. Nick and Dov are my faves. Will keep watching them

• Emma says:

I honestly barely remember previous seasons and am too lazy to rewatch. What were all the issues with Swarek before? Didn’t andy break up with Nick because she realized how much she loves Swarek when he got shot?

• S says:

I really loved Andy and Nick, there was something so natural and easy going about their chemistry. Sad that the show didn’t finish that arc properly.

• jean murtagh says:

love them too! Team McCollins! lol! i know that sam and andy will be the endgame but…

5. DR says:

Sam and Andy are fantastic together, but remember Sam told oliver that he lovres Andy “I miss her man, all I think about is White picked fence with her and kids.” Give the man a break. He was with Marlo but when he was shot Andy was there for him. Also remember he told Andy that he wanted her to be happy with Nick. She ran after him. So Sam not the problem. Nicks not the good boy you think he is. Sam and Andy must keep talking to each other to work things out, they Will make it. Now For Dov and Chole. He admit’s that he still loves Chole, He doesn’t trust her. He’s jealous , he saw Duncan go after Chole and that he didn’t like. He has to forgive Chole. They have to talk thing out. I believe they Will be all right. Nick and Juliet, something is going on with her. Who pick her up after work? Is she undercover or is she involved with the 15 boom? We want answers!!!! You must a mite, that 15 has love, hate, craziness, happiness, and sorry. We are involved with our actor’s, we love them, hate them, we watch them go through the craziness at 15, and we watch the sorry when Jerry died, we even cry with them. We even feel sorry for these guy that mess up. I really hope that Rookie Blue has a season 7 and many more seasons. Again thank you Canada for Rookie Blue and also ABC for bringing it to the U. S.

6. Ari says:

I’m never a fan of the whole secret baby thing so I’m glad they didn’t go down the route of Sam keeping the baby a secret. I had a lot of mixed feelings on this episode.

7. Diane says:

Never liked Marlo and this baby drama was not needed. It just keeps a sub par character around. I am in the minority, I guess, because I could care less about Dov and Chloe. I don’t like her either. I am actually intrigued by Juliet and like her with Nick. Nick was always gonna be second choice with Andy. And what are they doing with Chris? Ugh!

8. Lupe Blanco says:

I loved it, please please give us more seasons…I love this show!

9. What if Juliette has something to do with the bomb?

10. Liz says:

I love Sam and Andy, i think Marlo wants Sam back if she did not want Sam to know about the pregnancy why did she leave the ultra sound picture on the desk so Dov could see it. Dov is about honesty that’ s why him and Chloe broke up and I don’t want them back together. I believe Marlo put the bomb in the evidence room, she is probably working with Jarvis he is also crooked. I did not like the new detective and I think Juliet is involved in something, don’t know yet. Poor Chris always getting involved with the wrong woman.

11. Liz Shaffett says:

I’m glad there back on. I watch all the other seasons and wish they where coming back on.
    Thank you for bringing them back!

12. Cynthia says:

Omg I love rookie blue!!
    Hopefully the seasons keep going & going.
    Anyway I love Andy !!
    But I would really love her to end up with nick!! Andy please go back to Nicks life !! 😩😩😩😩
    But overall great show, you guys are awesome!

13. Emma says:

Am I the only one that feels that Marlo is being bipolar and actually isn’t pregnant with Sam’s baby? And can someone please inform me about Chris? He’s just suddenly off drugs?

14. Emma says:

Suspicious new girl… Tbh I feel like she’s being forced to work with that guy that drives her after watching this week’s eP