Ratings: Big Brother Premiere Down, But Dominates Night

Big Brother Ratings 2015

CBS’ Big Brother opened Cycle 17 with 6.8 million total viewers and a 2.0 rating, adding a few eyeballs versus last summer’s premiere but down 13 percent in the demo.

That said, the reality-TV staple easily led the night in both measures.

Leading out of BB, the penultimate Briefcase (4.7 mil/0.9) dipped in audience while steady in the semi; the season finale airs Friday.

Over on Fox, MasterChef (4.6 mil/1.4) and Bullseye (2.8 mil/0.9) each dipped a tenth in the demo, while ABC’s Celebrity Wife Swap (3.1 mil/0.9) ticked up a tenth. NBC’s America’s Got Talent recap episode (5.9 mil/1.3) was broadcast’s No. 2-watched program.

As always and forever, cable ratings (e.g. Suits, Mr. Robot) come in much, much later and as warranted are reported under separate cover.

1. dman6015 says:

What happens to AGT next year with Stern leaving after this season? Do you think Cowell is considering taking his place, as Stern suggested?

2. AKA says:

Big Brother sucked last night. Terrible cast this year with one or two exceptions. No good looking girls, but of course good looking guys and an LGBT representative. Also, the transgender chick revealed herself right off the bat and took away any interest in watching the cast try to figure her secret out. I’m just counting down the days until they all turn on each other. I have little doubt this next group coming in tonight is any better. I hate the casting on this show and I hate that they use it as a platform for social issues (transgender simply because of Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner being in the news recently).

• jack says:

I agree with everything you said including the part about the social issues when will networks stop forcing things? I don’t mind if they had a gay or a trans character on but i feel like they over do it sometimes. Case and point make a list of your favorite shows then cross out all the ones that have at least one gay character or had a gay story line that just came out of thin air and made no sense I bet you don’t have any shows left on your list.

• kevstar says:

I don’t mind on or two straights, but they overdo it sometimes. See what I did there.

• jack says:

I never said I didn’t mind if it was just one or two you did. My problem is when are show producers going to stop forcing things because imo gay or trans people are just people. No need to make them out as big heros or villains, or tell their life story. And this coming from a straight guy with a couple of gay friends who like myself gets frustrated every time we try to watch tv and they’re making a huge deal over someone’s sexual orientation. Someone please tell me why does that even matter? I hope big brother don’t continue to do that this season and allow Audrey to be just a regular contestant like everyone else

• kevstar says:

But if people couldn’t complain, there’d be no reason to watch or comment.

3. TVRocks says:

Probably the most unlikable group straight out of the gate.

4. jack says:

The thing that made big brother so boring was they tried to strech 30 mins of big brother into a hour and it didn’t work. And also competitions where you have to outlast each other is never fun to watch

5. Ann says:

This show gets worse each year. Too many new rules so it can be controlled by CBS. Same Power of Veto and no challenging enough. I will not watch again and hope it goes off the air.