Ratings: True Detective Returns Strong

True Detective Ratings

True Detective copped a nice ratings gain in its return Sunday night.

The show’s Season 2 premiere drew 3.2 million viewers, a 36 percent increase over Season 1’s opener (2.3 million). It was the drama’s second most-watched episode to date, behind the Season 1 finale’s 3.5 million viewers.

At 10/9c, Dwayne Johnson’s sports satire Ballers got off to a strong start with 2.2 million viewers — the cabler’s best half-hour launch in six years. The premiere of the Tim Robbins-Jack Black war comedy The Brink followed at 10:30/9:30c with a decent 1.6 million viewers.

1. wrstlgirl says:

I enjoyed all three shows :-)

2. Mr. Tran K says:

I enjoy the new cast of True Detective that features Colin Farrell, Rachel McAdams, Taylor Kitsch and Vince Vaughn. All four of them deserve Emmy worthy performances.

• Marc Smith says:

Vaugh and Kitsch both need acting lessons. Shocking because Kitsch was so good on Friday Night lights

• Ron says:

Colin and Rachel were fantastic, in my opinion. Taylor was mediocre. But I’m really gonna disagree with you about Vince. That was by no means an Emmy worthy performance. I thought Vince’s acting was blindingly bad.

3. m3rcnate says:

Idk if its expectations or what, but mine were lowered because of all the trash talk about S02E01 of True Detective and about the premier of The Ballers. I thought both were serviceable and i enjoyed both.
    I think The Ballers needs to utilize the new few episodes and ground its characters. Entourage had a wide variety of guys, all felt very real, and because of that you connected to wild world they lived in through them. Well all we got in this premier was The Rock. There is also the O-linemen who got the car sales job but he only got like 4 minutes of air time. The show needs to ground itself in reality more, add some characters, etc.
    True Detectives is hard to judge after just one episode. I think its biggest flaw is not being the first season, which it can do nothing about, so moving on from that, i enjoyed it. It all depends on how it does long term in telling its stories and developing its characters. The big mystery also has to be really good.

4. Maple Leaf Momma says:

Not sitting in judgment…Will give True Detective a couple of episodes BUT why do all
    the depressed characters (apart from V. Vaughn) dress like they pulled their clothes from
    the dirty laundry hamper?…They look as though they would smell bad !! Well….Taylor did clean his teeth and have a shower…Let’s see how their hygiene improves with time and perhaps
    V. Vaughn will have taken some acting lessons !! Where is Jennifer Aniston when he needs
    her ??

5. Alienate says:

There is not one character in season 2 of T.D. that I give a crap about. I won’t waste my time on a bunch of losers.