Ratings: So You Think You Can Dance Hits Series Lows, Bachelorette on Top

So You Think You Can Dance Ratings Low

Fox’s So You Think You Can Dance on Monday night drew 3.3 million total viewers and a 0.9 demo rating (per finals), dropping 23 and 31 percent to hit and tie series lows.

Over on NBC, American Ninja Warrior (6 mil/1.8) slipped 13 percent, while The Island (3.2 mil/1.0) dipped 9 percent.

ABC’s Bachelorette sex (6.6 mil/2.0) was on top for the night in both measures, swelling two tenths week-to-week, while The Whispers (3.9 mil/1.0) got a teensy bit louder.

1. GuessWhat says:

Surprised SYTYCD has gotten renewals the past few seasons. Been done for YEARS.

2. Eric7740 says:

Is this SYTYCD’s last season??? I think it needs to be, obviously no one watches this show. It should follow in the footsteps of American Idol!

3. B says:

Cancel it. Alienating fans is not the way to up ratings.

4. Lenon says:

This ducks. Even though I don’t care about the judges at all, the dacing on the showay has always been so good, I really don’t want it to go.

5. Jane L. says:

Disappointing to see the ratings so low for SYTYCD. Regardless of the format or the judges, the talent of the dancers is still outstanding.

6. Julia says:

This makes me sad…one of my favorite shows. I think Mondays are a tough night because of competing with the bachelorette and america ninja warrior – two other strong summer reality shows. I’m hoping that if the live shows are ‘buzzworthy’ with great performances that the ratings will pick up a little bit.

7. Jeffrey Sean Keith says:

How does Dancing With The Stars continue to defy the odds,it still gets pretty decent ratings!

• antjohnson says:

Because Dancing with the Stars doesn’t negate the older crowd. I love street dance also but it belongs on MTV. SYTCD needs to appeal to more demographics. Most people know that a street dancer is not better than a well trained dancer, but they keep trying to make it so . So it becomes sad.

8. Boiler says:

Disappointed in ratings for Bachelorette. Are there really that many people who like this crapo? And we wonder why some decent scripted shows go away

9. Carla Krae says:

Don’t know why they thought Mondays was a good night for SYTYCD. But plenty of people watch who don’t have a Nielsen box!

10. JR says:

No mystery about SYTYCD. The new format is bad and the new judges are worse. Frankly, Nigel should have kept Mary and stepped away from the table himself.

• LAwoman says:

I agree, the format and judging panel changes are terrible. I still love watching the dancers, but I can’t listen to that panel.

• MariaD says:

I want to second this. I was a faithful viewer but I refuse to waste precious time hearing any drivel that Jason has to say, and am sick of Nigel’s pervy comments and leering. I do miss the fabulous dancers and fantastic choreographers.

11. Nick says:

I used to love SYTYCD, watched it every summer. I tried with the new judges/format, but it’s just not the same anymore. I couldn’t even finish the second episode.

12. Kim (@AD76) says:

I’m not digging the new format on SYTYCD. I’m one of those people that aren’t overly thrilled with street dancers. I’d rather watch the stage dancers. Also, while I disliked Mary, Jason is a horrible judge. Horrible. Horrible. I’d rather listen to Mary’s over the top annoying screeching. At least she knew something about dance.

• Rick W says:

Totally agree… They’ve gutted the show by excluding Mary Murphy and not advancing any ballroom partisipants. Nigel is showing his prejudice by giving them all the boot. So sad so many came, giving up their jobs in hopes of a level playing field. Really a let down!

13. Connie says:

This show has always been a favorite, the talent and choreography is outstanding! I agree, the problem stems from possibly changing the format but more importantly getting rid of Mary Murphy who was a lively, interesting and known expert ballroom dancer. No offense, I find Paula Abdul uninteresting and while Jason Derulo is a contemporary singing artist with apparently a dance background of some sort, he’s hard to look to as a dancing expert. Also found the banter between Nigel and Mary very entertaining, they are missing the judging panel chemistry of seasons past. What ever they were trying to do with the judging panel failed. I certainly hope the show comes back next year and that they fix their mistakes.

14. Nigel has ruined his own show with this “street” theme and judges.

15. Marco Zottolo says:

My husband and I our mid seventies and have watched every season since season one. We have loved this show and look forward to it. NOT THIS SEASON. Nigel needs to go back to the original concept of the show. Too much street dancing and not enough ballroom. We are no longer fans. It use to appeal to all demographics. The standards in our opinion have been lowered.

16. Neph says:

One thing I learn from Dancing with the stars, do not change the judging panel, it’s a recipe for disaster. You can add to it, but don’t change it. Whenever a show is older, we all have that relationship with the judges that create an habit. Like by now, I actually know exactly who in the judging panel will like something and who would not. Do not compromise your core viewers by making drastic changes too quickly