Grey's Anatomy: Katherine Heigl Addresses 'Rumor' of Izzie's Return

Grey's Anatomy Heigl Return

When is a “swirling” rumor not a rumor at all? When it’s merely TVLine suggesting that Grey’s Anatomy would be wise to welcome back Katherine Heigl to the role she created back in March 2005.

Nonetheless, Entertainment Tonight invited Heigl to share if there is any truth to the “rumor” that she will return as Dr. Izzie Stevens. “There is not, I’m sorry,” she states.

More interestingly, perhaps, is what Heigl says (or doesn’t say) when the reporter then asks if she would consider ever scrubbing back in at Seattle Grace Grey Sloan Memorial. Because whereas just three years ago she told TVLine, “If they want me to return for an arc, I would love to know where Izzie is now,” her current take… well, it can be found at the 20-second mark in the video below.

Also in the ET segment: Heigl — who is out with Ben Barnes promoting the indie Jackie & Ryan — weighs in on McDreamy’s recent death and her wishes for the ABC serial’s future.

1. spindae2 says:

Every once in a while I ask myself where would GA be if Izzie and George stayed? Think the show would held a much bigger level of quality. Season 7 was a complete mess.
    Sadly we won’t ever find out.

• B says:

I think Heigl leaving through the show off, but quality has been more or less consistent since day one. Yes, it’s definitely faltered, but it picks itself up so very very smoothly.

• tvjunkie says:

Her character had nowhere to go after having sex with a ghost. That was one of the lowest points on the show if not the lowest.

• spindae2 says:

Hobetly in S06 her character had the most potential. She was post cancer, lost her best friend ans was overall struggling.
        She didn’t sleep with a ghost it was a hallucination. People sometimes don’t get it but those hallucination can be pretty real. It wasn’t the best decision the writers did but still not that far away, especially considering what type of emotional person Izzie is.

• John says:

I can’t even begin to describe how much I disagree with you. Season 7 was the strongest season outside the show’s creative and commercial peak in Season 2.

You may disagree with this, but it seems as if critics agree that the show saw a creative resurgence in its 7th season. You had Adele’s Alzheimer storyline, Cristina’s PTSD, the very realistic relationship issues between Callie and Arizona, and then capping it off with Meredith’s tampering of the clinical trial, and Cristina’s abortion, that stellar Golden Hour Meredith-centric episode.

All in all a very enjoyable season with a return to more grounded storylines than in the show’s past.

I actually miss Izzie and George as much as the next Grey’s fan, but this revisionist history by fans of the two characters as well as fans of the “old Grey’s” about how the show has declined drastically since they left is absurd. Are we forgetting that Season 6 was largely a mediocre season outside the explosive phenomenal finale? (Gasp: you mean Season 6 wasn’t amazing because it had the flawless Heigl? You don’t say) Are we forgetting how tired Season 5 was, bolstered only by an infusion of fresh blood in Owen and Arizona? Are we forgetting ghost sex, Gizzie, and the poor serial killer/rogue interns/Sadie/and other absurd storyline decisions that populated the 4th and 5th seasons, which we were more to blame for the show’s creative decline than seasons 7 and 8 which were largely very enjoyable seasons?

The show might not be fantastic in its current state, but those can’t just be chalked up to the dismissal of George and Izzie. The show is going on its 12th season, it’s bound to be tired and repetitive at this point.

• Grey's Fan says:

If Izzie and George wouldn’t stayed Grey’s Anatomy would’ve ended after season 7.

2. Ed says:

As much as I would love for Izzie to return to her original stomping ground. So much time has passed as characters have moved on from Izzie. Every once in a while we will get the nice mention of her. But at this point I just don’t see it happening.

3. Clark says:

What a waste of an article *shakes head*

4. madhatter360 says:

If they do want to bring her back there’s a pretty easy way to do it. When she had her cancer, she froze some of her eggs before hand. More specifically she froze some fertilized eggs, courtesy of Alex. I woud think that if she wanted to use those eggs to have kids she would need Alex’s permission, either for him to sign away paternal rights for her new husband, or just because they aren’t married anymore so the clinic needs his okay.
    She could be back for an episode, or more permenently depending on how they want to go with that plotline.
    Heck, they could do that plot without her if they wanted to inject drama into the Alex/Jo relationship (he gets a letter from Izzie about this), but it would be better to actually have her back.

5. kmw says:

Considering how things ended with Hiegl and Rimes, it would take an awful lot to get her back on show. So I think very doubtful that will ever happen

• Take says:

Shonda brought a homophobe back to the show already. Heigl is a lot better than that!

• kmw says:

Ms. Rimes seems to hold on to grudges and she certainly has held on to the one with Heigl. I do not see that changing any time soon. I liked Heigl on Greys but I believe she has moved on from it

• A.M says:

George & Izzy were my least favourites and they are both gone

6. Coal says:

Is it too early for Lifetime to give us an unauthorised behind the scenes story of Grey’s Anatomy ? That being said its not like Heigl and for that matter T.R. Knight need “villainous” Shonda’s show they’ve both gone on to bigger at better things since leaving the show. Wait ?

• Jeri says:

Do Heigl and Knight even speak any more? I never see mention of the 2 of them together or even mentioning the other or acting together. I always felt Knight was sort of led astray by Heigl, it was her making everything public about him. Did he want that? Did he want to loose his job over it? Sure he could have tried to stop her as so many others have with no success.

• Temperance says:

Well, there is no doubt that they both went on to bigger and (absolutely) better things. Both have excellent careers going, though TR was not doing that on TV for a bit, he’s back in the fall. Frankly, I’m sure that I’d be throwing down with Shonda in about five minutes, so I’m impressed with anyone that can stand her for long.

• Coal says:

My comment was intended to be sarcastic, you can’t honestly believe that T.R. Knights acting career has been on an upward trajectory since leaving the show ? Even his theatre work has been very limited. As for Heigl her star hasn’t burned bright in a long time.

7. K says:

Say what you want, but Heigl gave an amazing performance on that show. Her absence was noticeable, I think she does deserve a second chance at another, this time, good drama show.

8. Sam says:

She was very gracious, and I’d like to think she would maybe make a reappearance should Shonda get her head out of her ass to make it happen before the show ends. And I’m with her, I can’t imagine a Grey’s Anatomy without Patrick Dempsey, although I guess we’ll see the suck fest play out come September.

• Cory G Ekern says:

Shonda REALLY *needs* to bear the brunt of how badly GA has gone off the rails since, like, seasons 1-3. She didn’t handle the Isaiah Washington debacle right AT. ALL., and the show has suffered for it ever since. My gut says that if Shonda had fired Washington right from the get-go, Izzy and George would still be on the show.

• Coal says:

Seriously ? Knight left because he wasn’t getting enough screen time and Heigl gave the reason that she was starting a new family and she wanted to spend time with them. Besides, both of them still spent a full two seasons after the departure of Washington so blaming him for their leaving is just grasping at straws.

• Jeri says:

True, but I thought the lack of screen time was a punishment. Don’t know, just how I took it.

• Julie says:

Heigl left because she thought she was going to ride the success of Knocked Up into a successful movie career. And did so by badmouthing the writers and slamming Shonda Rhimes for ridiculously long work days. That said, I was sad for a minute when she left, mostly because of what she did to Alex. And I liked the character of Izzie. But I wasn’t nearly as upset about her leaving as I was when they killed of Mark and Lexie. And those don’t compare to killing off Derek.

• A fan of TV says:

Shonda is gay. How else should she have handled Isaiah Washington flagrantly insulting a gay man for no reason?

9. Ken says:

If Shonda can forgive Isiah Washington for his anti-gay remarks that caused major upheaval on the set and allow him to return for one episode, then she should be able to forgive Katherine Heigl for whatever happened between them on set and allow her to return as Izzie for at least one episode.

• Riana says:

The hatred is two-way. Mr. Washington didn’t hate Shonda.

• Cory G Ekern says:

Isaiah Washington also needs money to, y’know, live, too, I’m guessing. Not a lot of shows are eager to sign him anymore.

• sladewilson says:

You realize that Isaiah Washington is a regular on “The 100” right? I don’t think he’s exactly hurting for work anymore. IJS

• Take says:

A role on a show with mediocre ratings on The CW isn’t exactly worth big bucks. He has sunk low.

• :-) says:

He’s made several movies and been on a couple of shows. He’s also been doing charity work out of the country. He’s on the 100 on cw. Not a large fan base but it’s Sci Fi with a loyal following. He’ll always be able to work the comic book circuit

• A fan of TV says:

Neither did Shonda hate Isaiah. But he made a colossal error in judgment that he paid for, then atoned for. Way way more bad blood btwn Shonda and Katherine, though…

• Amanda says:

She didn’t want him gone, that word came from ABC execs. To my knowledge, she didn’t want to get rid of him, she was just waiting for it all to blow over and when it finally did, she had him back on the show!

• Cory G Ekern says:

Um, it hasn’t blown over for a lot of people. Some people have never forgotten what Washington said to set in motion one of the biggest debacles in modern day television.

10. Luis says:

I said it before, I’ll say it again: the only way Ms. Heigel returns to GA is as the victim of a head-on collision with a bus, with Shonda making a cameo appearance as the driver

11. mary says:

I’ve never been a big Izzie fan tbh even though I like Katherine Heigl and I just don’t think she fits in with the show anymore. Who would actually care if she came back now? Meredith, and Alex would be shocked but he’s long moved on. They wouldn’t miraciously get back together since I think over 6 years have passed in Grey’s time and he’s in love with Jo now. I’m not sure what Alex would do if she came back to use the embryos because as much as he wouldn’t father the baby it would still be his biological child. I think he’s selfless enough to agree to it but I as an Alex fan wouldn’t like the idea of him having a kid out there somewhere. I’m still waiting for him and Jo to foster or adopt because that would be a full circe to their life stories since both grew up in the system and know how many kids out there need a family. Izzie could do the same with her new partner – assuming that she has one. Her daughter was given out for adoption and maybe now that she can’t have kids anymore she will adopt herself. Now that I think about it, that would be very meaningful and now I would really like to know if something like that happened in Izzie’s life. Which is why one visit maybe would be interesting to see, just for one episode. But I really think they should have done that while at least Cristina and Derek were still on the show, now Izzie’s return just wouldn’t affect many people anymore. But as far as I know Katherine Heigl has issues with Shonda Rhimes which is why that will most likely not happen. What I’m still hoping for is to see Sandra Oh guest star again. I miss Cristina more than I miss any other character and at least Sandra said she’d like to guest star in the future. I was thinking that maybe if Alex got married again she’d fly out to be there but now even Derek died and we didn’t have Sandra back (only someone who pretended to be Cristina during the funeral scene) so my hopes are only for the series finale. If Justin Chambers decides to leave the show after season 12 (I’ve heard rumors) maybe they will bring Izzie back for one episode to finish Alex’s story like they did with Burke for Cristina’s exit but Alex is a character who has never been in the spotlight like Cristina has so I doubt that Shonda would get over her differences with Katherine Heigl just to give Alex closure. Like I said, I think having Izzie back for an episode would’ve fit better at a time when there were still enough characters who had a connection with her. Now I just don’t think it will have the effect some people would hope for which is why I’m sure Shonda Rhimes won’t even consider it.

12. J says:

Nothing against Katherine but Izzie was one of the worst characters this show has ever had and I’m glad she’s gone. I don’t miss her at all. And she was horrible to Alex.

• tvjunkie says:

In the real world there’s no way Izzie would have ever worked as a doctor again after pulling the plug on Denny and yet she did on this show.

13. alayna says:

How about we get Addison back for an episode or Cristina? I never liked Izzie and I don’t care what happened to her. I bet she’s happy somewhere with a new husband and some adopted kids.

14. robandco says:

While she is one of the originals, she’s been gone for almost half the run of the show. She is not needed. It would be good to see her of course, even for a 2 or 3 episodes arc. Or even one. Like a fight over one of the organs of an organ donor. It happens to them all the time in other hospitals, why not in theirs with Izzy? Though 3/4 of the cast would be “who dat?” when she comes through the door.

15. suzybel58 says:

I’m glad she’s not coming back.

16. Riley says:

Well sure, now that EVERYTHING she has done since she left has sucked, bombed and failed, this will be a great segue into her season on Dancing with the (former) Stars!

17. Why isn’t there an option to press play rather than auto play the video?

18. Grey's Fan says:

If someone would compensate me I’d love to write an article about why Izzie doesn’t fit into Grey’s Anatomy any more. Also, I don’t know why people say there was no closure for Izzie or Erica Hahn – I thought the endings for both characters were appropriate and good. The only character that needs better closure in my opinion is Lexie (she’s also the only character I’d want to return – from the dead).

19. Phillip says:

I really hope she comes back. I miss Izzie and Katherine Heigl on Grey’s.

20. aph1976 says:

I hope Katherine Heigl returns to Grey’s even if it just for a few episodes.That way we could see what Izzie has been up to and for all we now she’s married now and even has kids.

21. Carol says:

I would really enjoy having Izzy return this upcoming Season 12

22. Suzan says:

I truly still miss Izzie And George they both added to the show
    Sure she died and so did “007” but I loved them
    I still miss all of the original cast
    But anyway I would love for her to come back even though it would change like everything drastically

23. What has happened to Shonda Rhimes, she killed George, then Izzie and now McDreamy !!!! As far as I am concerned she just killed her own show……….

24. caliblue24 says:

I barely watched the show since Izzie left in season 7. Then the last 3 seasons, I just simply watched Jackson and April scenes on youtube. Izzie and Cristina are able to come back unlike the others who got killed off; George, Lexie, Mark, and Derek

25. Angela says:

Wish Stevens would come back to greys anatomy

26. Heather says:

If I was Katherine Heigl I wouldn’t want to come back to Grey’s Anatomy. The show is basically on life support as it is, and IMO someone should have pulled the plug a long time ago. The new characters are boring, and the few originals who are left are nowhere near as interesting as they once were. I honestly don’t know how the show has lasted this long. There was a time when Grey’s Anatomy was my favorite show, but it’s been in decline quality wise since the 5th or 6th season. Meredith is without a doubt the most annoying character in television history. I’ve spent the last few weeks re-watching seasons 1-5, and I honestly never realized how much I disliked her. From the beginning Grey’s Anatomy was nothing more than a daytime soap opera with a bigger budget. Grey’s has the same over-the-top outlandish storylines that give soaps a bad name, what with the bombs, shootings, and plane crashes. The plane crash was the last straw for me, and I’ve only returned twice since. Once when Yang (my favorite character) was leaving, and again when Derek died. I’d watch if Izzie came back, but I hope to god she never does.

27. Franchesca says:

Izzy and Christina need to return

28. gfgjhfcddf says:

She was one of the best one on the show the resonance I started watching this show I wish they would bring her back .she always saw the good in every one even the people that she did not like on the show