Smash's Marilyn Monroe Musical Bombshell Headed for Stage Run

Let’s not turn this into a referendum on whether Megan Hilty or Katharine McPhee makes the better Marilyn Monroe, OK?

Oh, who are we kidding? That’s half the fun of the news that Universal Stage Productions has begun development on a stage musical version of Bombshell — the fictional Broadway show at the center of NBC’s two-season musical-within-a-musical drama Smash.

News of Bombshell‘s resurgence comes a week after a buzzy Actors Fund benefit featuring the show’s music that starred Smash cast members Hilty, McPhee, Debra Messing, Anjelica Huston, Christian Borle, Will Chase, Jaime Cepero, Leslie Odom, Jr., Brian d’Arcy James, Jeremy Jordan, Ann Harada, Donna McKechnie and Wesley Taylor.

“There is a still a lot of love for Smash and a rabid fan base out there, and we’re thrilled to be able to keep the dream alive as we work towards bringing Bombshell to theatre audiences,” said Robert Greenblatt, chairman of NBC Entertainment, in a press release announcing the production. “Over the course of two seasons, an entire Bombshell score was written to service Smash storylines, and now that show will have a chance to stand on its own.”

Greenblatt did not specify whether Bombshell is being eyed for a Broadway run or some other platform such as off-Broadway or a touring-company version. None of the original Smash stars are currently attached to the project.

Many of Smash‘s behind-the-scenes players are attached to the Bombshell revival, including executive producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, choreographer Joshua Bergasse, songwriters Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman, and even Steven Spielberg, who was also an EP on Smash.

Excited about a real-life Bombshell? Would you buy tickets to see it in person? And who would you cast as Marilyn? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments!

1. iammusic says:

McPhee for Norma Jean, Hilty for Marilyn, and then back to McPhee for “Don’t Forget Me” – she KILLED that number.

• siennaisaspaz says:

agreed but McPhee should also be in the first part of 20th century Fox, they should change in the middle of that song because that was a huge turning point for Marilyn

2. BTM says:

Not really. Smash started out beautifully but fizzled pretty flat. The writing grew dreary with characters who behaved increasingly like stupid children. If the resulting stage play doesn’t even have Megan Hilty, there’s not much point.

3. RUCookie says:

I AM THERE. This makes me sooooo happy! Love this score.

4. Paul says:

Katharine McPhee already stated in an interview with People last week that if Bombshell went to Broadway, she would not be involved in it, but would love to be there for opening night.

• JC says:

I think she said that knowing how long these things take! A lot will depend on whether McPhee and Hilty are working on other things by the time they start casting lol. Could take years!

• HAP says:

McPhee is after all, committed to another full season of Scorpion.

5. CATHY PETERSEN says:

OMG – PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME ITS TRUE. THE SONGS AND CHOREOGRAPHY IN THE TV SHOW WERE AWESOME AND WOULD BE FABULOUS LIVE ON STAGE. COUNTING THE DAYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. JC says:

I was lucky enough to go to the Bombshell concert and would be excited to see this as an actual Broadway show, but I think it would take a lot of work to write a decent coherent book! They’d also have to split the Marilyn role for sure as one person couldn’t sing them all. Both Megan Hilty and Kat McPhee were fantastic in the concert, so I’d love to see them reprise their roles, although not sure how likely that is. Depends on how long this will all take and their commitments etc. Both definitely brought different strengths to the concert so together it worked really well. Both sang their asses off, and Hilty was amazing playing the more exuberant sexy Marilyn, while McPhee was great playing the Norma Jean type, plus her dancing was so good! And their x3 duets were <33333

7. Ronnie says:

I would absolutely see this play! They both have to be in it and I agree with another comment – McPhee for Norma Jean and Hilty for Marilyn but McPhee needs to sing Don’t Forget Me. I knew this score was too great for a fundraiser, it needs to be a show.

• JC says:

McPhee’s voice definitely suits DFM more. It was great to see it as a duet at the concert but it just doesn’t suit Megan’s voice as much. My fave performances from the concert were LMBYS (I got quite emotional lol), Megan’s National Pasttime, and McPhee’s Public Relations <3

8. Et al says:

Looks like I’ll finally get to see New York. There’s no way I’m not going to this.

9. mariangela says:

If McPhee or Hilty cannot do this, Bethany Joy Lenz will be great, she have a great voice and work with Craig Zadan and Neil Meron on the pilot Songbyrd

10. BG says:

With out the tv show’s originial SMASH cast involved, it won’t be as good. IMO. If they made BOMBSHELL a movie ( i..e. instead of hiring newbies for a stage production ), I know they’d have a hit. And film it in the way the old fashinon MGM color version way. Don’t film it like they film musicasl today’s. None of the faded movies like Jersey Boys, which lacked the rich color you want in musicals. They should get rid of the len’s which make it look like they’re filming through a teabag.

11. Ben says:

Umm… I like both of them as Marilyn, but I want McPhee on Scorpion, so I voted for Megan Hilty (who lets face it, probably translates a lot better to stage anyway.)

12. Fernanda says:

I hope they could include the nude scene with JFK. I enjoyed that moment in SMASH, one of the few good things from the terrible season two

13. annaktee says:

OH. MY. GOD. YES!
    I’m really excited about this, even though I’ll (yeah I’m saying it again) probably never see this, as I am a poor European college student. But whatever. I can still get excited, okay?!

14. J says:

Team Karen forever!!!!

15. it was an awesome TV show. it is the ONLY DVD series I ever bought. JUST for the production numbers!!

16. I loved the musical numbers. I just hated most of the characters when they weren’t on stage performing the musical numbers. I think that the show would be fun to see.

17. Maia says:

When I heard this I immediately told my sister’s because we all watched very episode together and then RE-watched the show! And we absolutely love it, to this day, so to hear that Bombshell is actually going to hit the stage, is the GREATEST news. Also……Megan Hilty for MARILYN.
    #HiltyForMarilyn

18. eric says:

Of course Spielberg will be involved. He was the one that had the plan from the very beginning to turn the show within the show into an actual Broadway show.

19. Jimmy slater says:

This is fantastic news. I can’t wait for the show to be on Broadway, I like both of the actresses but I’ve always preferred Kat McPhee’s Marylin.

20. matty says:

How in the world is McPhee winning this poll? We all know Megan Hilty is the only smart choice.

21. ed says:

Team Karen forever!

McPhee singing Don’t Forget Me is amazing!

22. Laura C says:

I started out liking Smash but got bored when the storyline got too soapy. They should have stuck to the MUSIC and called it good. I liked BOTH actresses.

23. Jim says:

Smash was the best thing to ever hit TV. Choosing between McPhee and Hilty, however is almost impossible. That was the whole point of the show. They are both wonderful and talented. As a few commenters said, use both! However either choice would be wonderful. I will definitely be there to see the show. Great news!

24. Arjaytoo says:

I’d see it and would prefer Hilty in the role of Marilyn.

25. I would like to be Marylyn in Bomshell Christian Borle let me know