Outlander Casts Black Jack's Brother

Outlander Season 2

Outlander‘s most unfortunate family tree is sprouting another branch.

Laurence Dobiesz will appear in Season 2 of the Starz drama as Alex Randall, the younger brother of the villainous Jack Randall, according to The Wrap.

Unlike his brother — who reached new levels of depravity by raping Sam Heughan’s Jamie in the season finale — Alex is said to be “gentle, loving and kind.” Professionally, he serves as a curate and secretary for the Duke of Sandringham.

“In probably every which way you can think of, it’s going to be different than Season 1 was, which I think is one of the strengths of the series overall: its continuing evolution,” executive producer Ronald D. Moore recently told TVLine of Season 2.

Dobiesz’s previous TV credits include the ITV procedural The Bill and the TV-movies All the King’s Men (BBC) and Great Expectations (Masterpiece Theatre).

Your thoughts on Dobiesz’s casting? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. ninergrl6 says:

Hmmm based on the book, Alex needs to look similar enough to BJR to literally be mistaken for him. I’m not sure this guy fits the bill, but I’d have to see more pictures and I’m sure the period outfits will help. I actually thought they might have Tobias play Alex too.

2. Amanda says:

I think he could pass for playing Tobias’ brother. The costumes will help and if he has darker hair even more so. I thought they could’ve had Tobias also play Alex, but his age was a factor. I do see some similar facial features and I liked Alex in book 2, so looking forward to this.

3. Catullus 1000 says:

Casting has been fantastic thus far so I’m certain Mr. Dobiesz will not disappoint.

4. derek117 says:

The actors look enough alike to pass for brothers–especially after they darken Mr. Dobiesz’ hair.

5. Liz Blaska says:

Excellent choice!!

6. Drew says:

I agree with Ron Moore when he says that you can’t really get away with having Tobias playing another character on the show. That gag was played with Frank/Jack. Any more and it would get silly.
    It is going to be really hard to watch some of the story in season 2. I read the book, so I know what happens, and it played out in an interesting way in the book… but having actually seen what Jack did to Jamie, I don’t know how we could not be instantly disgusted when the Randall story comes up in season 2.

(I just watched the finale this past weekend. What happened to Jamie was a bit different than in the book. I found it so much more disturbing in a lot of ways, but still think that they could have used two or three more episodes in season 1)

7. ogre4242 says:

Pablo Scrheiber would have been the best casting choice. I have seen him in a number of different projects, first on the second season of HBOs The Wire and when I first saw him, I thought he was the guy from HBOs Rome (Tobais Menzies as Brutus). That would have been a casting coup, since there is a sufficient resemblance that would make a person look twice.

8. Gwenna says:

Re the casting of Alexander Randall. The casting of Outlander so far has been spot on and I agree with Ron Moore that placing Tobias in that role would have been “silly”, almost laughable.
    For one thing, Alexander is a younger brother plus he and Jack appear in scenes together.
    Obviously, casting the show has been done with much thought and care and from what I
    have seen so far for Season 2…it continues. Keep the faith…In Ron we trust !!

9. sixela872 says:

Side by side, this actor and TM look eerily alike. They could easily pass for brothers. Another great job on casting

10. a3poker says:

Hiya very cool blog!! Guy .. Beautiful ..
    Wonderful .. I’ll bookmark your site and take the feeds additionally?
    I am glad to seek out sso many useful info here in the publish,
    we want work out more techniques on this regard,
    thank yyou for sharing. . . . . .

11. Jelly bean white ones says:

Are you blind? They have got it spot on, especially around the eyes. Darker hair, as others have said and they could have been twins.