The Leftovers Season 2 Teaser Trailer Reveals Twist Behind New Setting

So that’s the reason they’re messing with Texas.

HBO has released the first footage from The Leftovers‘ upcoming second season, and it reveals why Kevin and Co. ended up hauling ass to a small town in eastern Texas: It’s the only community on the planet that did not lose a single person to The Sudden Departure. And by the looks of the teaser trailer above, that little fact has made Jarden, TX one very popular destination.

As TVLine previously reported, The Leftovers underwent something of a creative overhaul after exhausting nearly all of its source material in Season 1 (the series is created by Damon Lindelof and Tom Perrotta and based on Perrotta’s 2011 novel of the same name). In addition to relocating from New York to Texas, the acclaimed drama dropped roughly half of its cast; however, leads Justin Theroux, Amy Brenneman, Chris Zylka, Margaret Qualley, Christopher Eccleston and Carrie Coon are all back.

Season 2 is slated to premiere this fall. Check out the 60-second clip and then hit the comments with your thoughts.

1. Ed says:

I’m a bit nervous here. Season 1 was pretty much the book, so it’s no spoiler to say that the book never explained why people suddenly vanished. It was a bit of a let down, as I believe the book set up the question and by doing so needed to address it. Saying “that’s not what the book [or series] is about isn’t sufficient if you spend that much time harping on the question, ‘what happened to the departed.'” Sure, some things in life we never know, but this is a story — they have the power to explore possibilities.

The end of the teaser for season 2 indicates that no one disappeared from this Texas town, thus broadening the mythology of the series and asking the questions: why no one from this town? Why did others disappear, what’s so special about this town that its members were protected, etc. By the series setting up these questions, it needs to fully explore and answer them (or at least hypothesize as to why). But I fear that like the book, the series will never answer the very questions it raises, thus leaving an ultimately unsatisfying experience.

• Mike B. says:

Yeah I kinda feel the same. I think I remember Damon Lindelof even saying somewhere, that they’re not planning to reveal “why” the people disappeared, but I’m not really sure… maybe I’m just imagining it :D I liked the first season, it didn’t blow me away, but it was somehow different… I’m going to check out season 2 for sure, but I can’t shake the feeling, that I won’t get any satisfying, at least not satisfying by my standards. But I’m also worried, that we won’t get closure on some character’s arcs.. but I’ll wait and see and try to remain optimistic

• DavidJ says:

I’m perfectly okay with not learning the truth, and completely agree with Lindelof’s reasoning that the most interesting thing is seeing the aftermath of such an event, and seeing all the different affects it has on both the people and culture. And I thought the first season did a fantastic job of creating a world that really DID feel like a very strange and alien place from what we know.

Learning the truth I think would just turn it into another run of the mill scifi-mystery show like Revolution, where all that really matters is the mission to uncover the truth and somehow reverse or undo what happened. And there are only so many answers to what caused the Departure anyway (aliens or god or secret government experiment gone wrong), all of which we’ve already seen countless times before, and none of which would be more interesting than the mystery itself.

2. Lisa says:

Very very excited for this. I do agree though that they should at least have the characters exploring possibilities for why the departure happened. Its too essential to the mythology of the show

3. Abby says:

My only pet peeve is with the scenery. That’s not what east Texas looks like. It’s actually very green, with lots of trees and hills. Western Texas, towards New Mexico and El Paso look like the scene above.

4. KennyA says:

I wish they never explain what happened. It is intriguing. And there are many things happening which no one can explain so why should this show explain everything? It’s a little bit depressing to not know what happened BUT it’s the same with the characters and everyone has their own thought what happened. That’s what made this show one of my favourite shows of the last few years.
    If they start to explain everything and make it a science fiction show about aliens or govermental experiments i’m done with this show.

5. ? says:

I want them to explain what happened. If the show didn’t want us to care about what happened, only the aftermath, they shouldn’t have this whole ongoing supernatural mystery thing surrounding it driving a decent amount of the plot. That said, I’m perfectly okay with finding out in the very last episode of the series and it being done in an “oh and by the way, this is what happened” manner.