Emmys

Emmys 2015: Supporting Actor in a Drama — Our 6 Dream Nominees!

We’ll be the first to admit it: TVLine’s 2015 roster of Dream Emmy Nominations has been a little contrarian.

But we don’t simply advocate change for change’s sake, either. Take the Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama category — where three of the six men on our ballot have scored prior nods for their roles (though one of ’em was playing it in a different series).

Of course, the remainder of our lineup honors breakout performances from fantastic freshman series… something you probably won’t see when the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences makes its big announcement on July 16.

Check out the gallery below — or click here for direct access — to see who’s made our cut, then share your thoughts in the comments!

1. Jimmy says:

It would be great to see Vincent D’Onofrio at least get nominated. Such a great performance.

2. Joey says:

There was no reason for London’s citizenry to fear Caliban? I think that Proteus and Van Helsing would disagree.

That being said, Rory Kinnear was absolutely fantastic and by all means should definitely be nominated.

3. Mr. Tran K says:

Mandy Patinkin and Rupert Friend. Both of these Homeland actors should deserve it.

4. DW says:

All over site after site points out that Matt Czuchry deserves a nomination this year for his great work on The Good Wife. Why am I not surprised that you left him off your list? This is really laughable and inexcusable. TeamTVLine has just struck out with the game on the line in the 9th inning.

• Beth says:

Okay, if it were you writing this article, who would you take of the list to put in Matt Czuchry?
      He might deserve a nominee, but does he deserve one more than these?

• Pixel says:

I really did see little love for Matt Czuchry here since last season. I remember that site being really “team Czuchry” in the past but something has changed lately. And that’s unfortunate but apparently no matter how good he is, for some media Czuchry will be always the 2nd rate “TGW” cast member, the one they can put out of the list.

• DW says:

Very true. For several seasons the universal complaint was that the show criminally underused Czuchry. This year started off with a tremendous storyline for Cary and then reverted to previous form for the second half of the season. I hope that the voters remember the first half of this season.

5. Karen says:

John Noble, Fringe. I’m gonna continue advocating for that, cancellations and years-gone-by be damned. Ahh… In an alternate universe

6. abz says:

John Clare is my least favourite character on Penny Dreadful. Wish they’d get rid of him.
    Hugh Dancy did great work on Hannibal last season. Don’t know whether he’d be considered a lead or supporting, but nevertheless he was great.

• Ron says:

I agree about Hugh Dancy. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, everyone from Hannibal and the show are ineligible for nomination this year. Last Emmy awards would’ve been the time to nominate them. Season 2 ended in May of 2014 and the nominating period for this year’s awards began June 1, 2014 and ended May 31, 2015–before this current season started. So, because NBC waited over a year for season 3, Hannibal completely missed the nominating period for the 2015 Emmys. But I still hold a grudge for Hugh and Mads’s lack of nominations last year.

7. buttercupp85 says:

I’ve become a huge Outlander fan (never read the books), so I have to mention that I think Tobias Menzies deserves a nod here. He is incredibly talented! The three of them are just so good.

8. LT says:

I forgot how great Mandy Patinkin was on HOMELAND this year…but after watching BLOODLINE. WOW, Ben Mendelshon just blew me away! You just can’t deny that subtle, organic performance that was just perfection!

9. Et al says:

Freddie Highmore deserves just as much recognition for this season of Bates as Vera does. I would have included him.

10. GeoDiva says:

Vincent D’Onofrio is amazing in Daredevil. Good choice!

11. Jonathan Banks is winning it. Bet the house, car and kids on it.

12. Miranda says:

Can’t really fault this list.

My dream list:
    Ben Mendelsohn
    Jonathan Banks
    Walton Goggins
    Jonathan Jackson (that finale performance in The Affair killed me!)
    Christopher Eccleston
    Kit Harrington

13. matty says:

Really, no love for Matt Czuchry from The Good Wife?

• DW says:

Literally within seconds after they posted these picks I found yet another TV site picking Matt Czuchry as a top nominee contender. I find a couple of things interesting here. They used previous nominations as a reason for not picking people or shows in other categories then picked previous nominees in this category. Also, no nominees for The Good Wife after the big uproar over the split-screen like that would be a reason for anything. Check the internet and get some real insight into these acting categories. I’m beginning to wonder if TVLine works out of an office or a medical marijuana dispensary.
      LOL.

• Pixel says:

According to their criteria, Matt Czuchry should have been one of their first choices. But apparently it’s more a case of double standards. I so fear Matt Czuchry is the only one who’s going to “pay” for the “feud” thing.

• DW says:

That was my thought too. Matt will probably end up paying for the “feud”. The fact that the criteria was suddenly and conveniently changed for this category does shed doubt on this whole selection process.

• Pixel says:

I’ve read a really good article about Matt Czuchry’s acting on another site saying that he’s an excellent reactor and that his best moments are when he just reacts to something. But how many people in the media or in the fandom are able to get that kind of acting? What they say – that Cary Agos will never be an Atticus Finch type of lawyer, with endless baity clips of great speeches to sell him to voters – is completely true. But that’s also the reason why he’ll never get enough love to be nominated because really few people are able to understand “how” good he really is.

• DW says:

That was a great article. I can’t remember another supporting actor who has grown is character and done such a tremendous acting job with so little material given to him. The Good Wife has an abundance of great actors and I can only hope the voters finally recognize that Matt Czuchry is as one critic put it: “An unsung hero” on this show.

14. Amanda says:

Totally agree about Ben Mendelsohn and Vincent D’Onofrio and they were both amazing. Ben though should be nominated and should win it. I was just so memorized by his performance and he made me love Danny. I’m not sure if I could’ve loved his character if someone else played him. He stole the show from Kyle Chandler and the rest of the cast, who I have been a fan of them all for years. I was just so surprised to find out that Ben’s been famous in Australia since the late 80s but it took so long for him to get noticed here in the US. Totally am checking out his past films and he deserves that award.

• dan says:

The character of Danny was creepy, erratic and sometimes difficult to watch. He is (was?) the definition of the black sheep of the family. Yet Ben Mendelsohn played him with a certain innocence mixed with edginess that made the character mesmerizing. I didn’t want to like him, but I was rooting for him and I was upset with every bad decision he made. There should definitely be an Emmy nom in Ben’s future!

• Billie says:

I thought Ben Mendelsohn did a great job as Danny – but I can’t believe people thought he was a sympathetic character! I hated Danny from the start and I never found anything he did to be redeeming. And I certainly never felt at all bad for him. What I thought made the performance was that he was insanely vengeful and manipulative – and he owned it.

15. Quan says:

Tom Cavanaugh as Harrison Wells/Eobard Thawne. The chances of him being nominated are slim to none as The Flash is a CW show but the man was captivating to watch, regardless of whoever he was playing.

• herman1959 says:

Let’s add Jessie L. Martin too. The Barry/Joe connection is superb.

• Okay Dude says:

Actors aren’t awarded Emmys based on their character’s relationship with another character.
        Tom Cavanaugh was pretty great on occasion, but Jesse L. Martin’s performance was nothing above par.

• Miranda says:

There’s just no way any actor from the CW (other than Gina Rodriguez) has a chance of a nomination. The CW is not on the Emmys’ radar. And if we really look at the big picture, most of the performances featured on The CW’s dramas just can’t be compared to what we see on other networks.

• Coleen Hernandez says:

I think both Tom Cavanaugh and Jessie L. Martin are included in the ballot, not yet official though.

16. Evan says:

If Goggins is going to get an Emmy, it will be for his guest work on SOA!

17. ThoroughbredOfSin says:

Was Mike Ehrmantraut’s son really “well to do”? I got the impression that his son didn’t take the money because, unlike his father, he was a clean cop, not because he didn’t need the money.

18. kirads09 says:

Vincent D’Onofrio 100% agree. Truly an incredible performance. What he brings to Fisk is honestly Emmy worthy and keeps that character from being just a stereotypical villain and a comic book based one to boot.

19. Ray says:

I know it will never happen, but Kyle MacLachlan’s performance in Agents of SHIELD was so wonderfully crazy and nuanced and even though he was a murderer and a monster you just couldn’t help but love his character. Everything he did was to help his daughter, even when it came to siding with the man he hated in order to protect her…he made me laugh, and cry, and hope he’d come out of it in the end as a winner with his family by his side. Of course that didn’t happen, and his choice at the end was just so bittersweet.

20. ToyCannon says:

Robin Lord Taylor needs to be on this list for his portrayal of the Penguin in Gotham. Also, an honorable mention to Jussie Smollett for Empire

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

My Picks are:
      Walton Goggins (JUSTIFIED)…..Which I say would win
      Kit Harrington (Game of Thrones)
      and yes both Jussie Smollett and Robin Lord Taylor those 2 are AWESOME on their shows!!!

• JM says:

RLT definitely deserves a nod–he is fantastic as Penguin. But my vote goes to Walton Goggins, an actor (and show, Justified) long overdue for recognition!

21. Ally Oop says:

I think Charles Esten did a great job this year on Nashville.

22. B says:

Walton Goggins, absolutely. Pretty surprised you left Tobias Menzies off the list.

23. Reblogged this on criticaditelevisore and commented:
    Vincent D’Onofrio better be nominated! Anyone who hasn’t yet seen him in Daredevil is only performing a disservice to themselves.

24. Amy H says:

Ben Mendelsohn hands down. His performance was amazing.

25. barb stegun says:

Tobias Menzies…no competition!

26. TinLV says:

Vincent D’Onofrio is a no-brainer in this category. He was awesome as the villain in Daredevil, playing the role with layers upon layers. He should not only be nominated.. he should win. I was never that impressed with him in Criminal Intent, but I realized just how good an actor he is when I saw him in “The Whole Wide World”, where he played Robert E Howard ( the author of the Conan the Barbarian books). That movie made me a fan.

27. Gustaf Skarsgard as Floki on VIKINGS, outstanding!!!

28. Stephen S. says:

I haven’t seen Penny Dreadful and I’m not enough into Daredevil to know if I agree with D’Onofrio yet. I also need to catch up on Better Call Saul, though due to superb work on Breaking Bad, I have no doubt that Banks is deserving. The other three I couldn’t agree more. HELL YES! to all three of them. As for who should win, can we give it to all 3 and call it a tie? I seriously can’t decide which performance I loved most between Gogins, Mendelsohn or Patinkin. All 3 are amazing.

29. blklips4lp says:

Its a wicked shame they cannot nominate the CLOWN from American Horror Story. That was the single sole reason I was hooked this season, besides Jessica Lange’s surreal version of “Life on Mars”.

30. blklips4lp says:

On a more serious note…how about Miguel Gomez or Richard Sammel from “The Strain”? Love how Miguel has made a mess and now wants to clean it up his bad boy with a heart of gold armour has me hooked. And whats to say about Richard Sammel? He is a professional actor love the phrasing, the quiet haunting danger that surrounds him. He is evil and I love it.

31. Bryan says:

Coggins definitely deserves an Emmy for his role on justified. Best tv I’ve seen in a long time. Very sad that the show has ended! Congrats Walt! Hoping for a spinoff or movie

32. peegee says:

I don’t agree about Patinkin- he plays every character the same with no depth- just my opinion