Emmys

Emmys 2015: Supporting Actress in a Drama — Our 6 Dream Nominees!

There’ll be a slew of women Gunn-ing for the Emmy as Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama this year. That’s because Breaking Bad‘s Anna Gunn — who took home the statuette in 2013 and 2014 — is ineligible for the three-peat.

Still, while we’ve got undying respect for Mad Men‘s Christina Hendricks and The Good Wife‘s Christine Baranski (nominees for the last five years) and Downton Abbey‘s Maggie Smith (gunning for her fourth consecutive nod), our Dream Emmy Ballot is envisioning an even deeper shakeup in the race.

All together now, “Fresh blood! New ideas! Out-of-the-box thinking!”

OK, OK, you don’t have to start a chant, but you really should check out the gallery below — or click here for direct access — then sound off in the comments!

1. Mae Whitman two hands down, she has been the best female actress on Parenthood since day 1… Christine Baranski still did an amazing job on The Good Wife (and she should be nominated for guest star in TBBT); Melissa McBride – not sure if she should be main or supporting – but she deserves it!!!

2. GeoDiva says:

Amy Acker has been outstanding on POI this season.

• dioxinblues says:

I second that (or, I suppose, third? Since TVLine said it first?). I watched Amy for many seasons in Angel and Doll House, but she has really taken flight as Root on POI. That scene of her heartbreak at Shaw being shot? Equal parts brutal and brilliant. Plus everything that came after in the Search for Shaw has been in a whole new realm.

3. AddieM says:

No too sure about Caitlin Fitzgerald….
    Lena Headey …I’m not sure if she s supporting/Lead either way she deserves a nod

• Ron says:

Totally agree with Lena Headey. She was nominated for supporting last year, so I assume she’d submit supporting again this year. But she definitely deserves a nomination. And if they nominated her last year for season 4, then there really is no reason she doesn’t deserve a nomination for the work she’s done this season. Cersei is such a love to hate kind of character and Headey plays her so well. I’d even go so far as to say that I think she deserves the win this year (especially for the last few episodes).

• Eck says:

I completely agree with you both regarding Lena Headey – she has knocked out of the park this year and no doubt will do so in Sunday’s finale! I would love to see her nominated again at least if not winning.

Still not seeing OITNB as a drama (!). While I love Uzo Aduba as Crazy Eyes I would personally have chosen Kate Mulgrew (Red) as the MVP of Season 2 though I guess one amazing episode is all you need for the Emmys.

4. matty says:

Your lack of The Good Wife love is very upsetting!

5. Toots says:

Happy to see Amy Acker there. Incredibly underrated.

6. xmelaniexthomasx says:

I have loved Amy Acker since back in the Angel days. It’s great to see her on a current show worthy of her incredible talent. She just flat out rocks as Root. She definitely gets my vote.

7. annna says:

My dream nominee is January Jones. She deserves it for the final two episodes of mad men. It’s really unfair how she’s been treated for playing Betty. Betty’s ending was so sad and she performed it so well, especially that final heartbreaking call with Don.

8. Tahoe Mike says:

I don’t watch any of these other shows, but Caitlin FitzGerald is sooooo good in Masters of Sex. She really does deserve some recognition.

9. Jan says:

I’d LOVE to see Mae Whitman get the recognition. IMO, she was the cream of the crop on Parenthood!

10. lori says:

Mae Whitman

11. The Bott says:

Caterina Scorsone who plays Amelia on Grey’s Anatomy deserves some recognition for her portrayal this past season. She did an awesome job throughout the whole season, and during the last 4 episodes, displayed a level of emotion that was heartbreaking, but yet understandable.

Also, Sarah Drew who plays April also gave an exceptional performance this season. I generally can’t stand her character, but this season, she knocked it out of the park!

And then there’s Jessica Capshaw….while I think she was given great material for the first 2/3rds of the season…she probably did not do anything “Emmy” worthy…but her and her character Arizona just rocks my socks….so I must always include her.

There are my dream nominees! :)

• Kimmie says:

OMG, I hate CS. I think Amelia is one of the most obnoxious characters on tv right now – I hated her on PP and I think she’s single-handedly ruining GA. I know there are people who like her but the character is so full of herself, so woe-is-me, so nowhere-near-as-good-as-she-thinks-she-is! I wish they’d never brought her to GA and now that Derek is gone I wish she’d go away too. Owen is way too good for her!

• Nnic says:

So, so, so agree with you!! :)

12. flutiefan says:

i’ve loved Mae Whitman since she was a child but i just don’t see this as Emmy-worthy…

13. lame says:

Amy Acker”s Root’s evolution from mystery all knowing voice, to frigthening psychopath without boundaries , to a heroic respected member of the team, is a joy to behold.

14. Katie Bowen says:

what Mike replied I cant believe that anybody able to profit $9024 in 4 weeks on the internet . check my source
    Best Deal Here >>> 2.gp/GbVn

15. SeanC says:

How could you not include Melissa McBride? She’s one of, if not the best actresses on tv right now.

16. Manu says:

Amy Acker is a force of nature as Root. This season in particular, she stole the scene. Her transition to “I don’t care about other people” to falling in love with Shaw, to witnessing Shaw being gunned down in front of her (I am never forgetting those slow motion shots of Root’s reaction), to then grieving for her for half a season until she found out Shaw was indeed alive, to then avenging her has been amazing yet heartbreaking to watch. Yes, I realize that was a long ass sentence but you simply can’t talk about how amazing Acker is in just a single comment. Too bad awards show will never give a genre show the time of day.

17. shake says:

i am so happy Amy Acker is on this list! i can never fully describe how brilliant she is in POI, especially the 2nd half of S4. She definitely deserves a nod!

18. Spence says:

I actually came onto this to say that Lorraine who played Vee on OITNB should be nominated (I have never hated a character so much thanks to her superb acting). But Uzo is wonderful too! I also feel Yael Stone who plays Morello was absolutely breathtaking in season 2!

19. Joey Padron says:

hope Mae Whitman will get nominated for Parenthood’s final season!

20. Stephen S. says:

Hell yes for Acker and Carter

21. Bosco says:

Melissa McBride. That is all.

22. Chase says:

Amy Acker Bitches lol sorry i went into mark out mode a little. but really she had an Emmy Award caliber season this year and last year but mainly this year’s 4th season. So many moments and episodes this season i could point out especially in the second half of season 2 when sarah shahi went on the maternity leave ( she really had to step up as the lead lady for the rest of the season ). couldn’t agree more. if she actually got nominated for supporting actress it would make me happy. i would want her to win it of course but even if she didn’t and just simply was nominated even that would be good enough because this show never even gets that ( for some dumb reason ).

23. Ashley says:

Melissa McBride (although maybe it was more warranted for S4, but still) and January Jones.

24. libkat says:

You missed Maura Tierney for The Affair. As the season progressed, she and Joshua Jackson, as the betrayed spouses, broke your heart and carried the show. I don’t thing there’s any way JJ will get a nomination, since Supporting Actor is always the toughest category, but I hope Tierney isn’t forgotten.

25. Dave says:

Definitely agree with Joelle Carter and Mae Whitman. But I think both January Jones and Christina Hendricks deserve nominations this year. Stunning performances from both of them in the last batch of episodes of Mad Men.

26. blklips4lp says:

I forgot about Melissa McBride. She is definitely in a lane all her own. When she tells the abusive father she could gut him right there and no one would suspect her because she’s invisible or when she told the kid he would wake up and not be in his bed and disappear and no one would hear him except the zombies….OMG! I was like WTH! Hahhaha. And the emmy’s totally missed her last year for the episode “THE GROVE”. That was unforgiveable. Enough said.

27. KELLI GIDDISH Law & Order SVU. Once again, any big name show on a Network TV station takes a beating from the awards shows because they don’t like to nominate Actors/Actresses from supposedly SAFE shows. Julianna Margules has been the exception because she has tremendous clout in Hollywood. it would be great for Melissa McBride to get something, but the diss on The WALKING DEAD(especially since anytime a new Walking Dead episode goes up against a new The Good Wife episode, the Walking Dead episode CRUSHES IT LIKE A GRAPE) the idiots who do the nominations(and that’s another story) don’t give the Walking Dead the time of day. It’s time for there to be separate EMMY awards for Network and Cable TV. I’ve set it before and I guess I have to say it again.