Smash's Broadway 'Bombshell': Watch Sneak Peeks, Flip Through the Playbill

The Broadway concert performance of Smash‘s Marilyn Monroe-themed musical-within-a-show, “Bombshell,” is taking place Monday night at the the Minskoff Theatre. And for the unlucky many unable to score a ticket, there are some behind-the-scenes photos and videos (plus other trinkets) to enjoy.

The one-night-only event, to benefit The Actors Fund, features Smash cast members such as Megan Hilty, Debra Messing, Anjelica Huston, Christian Borle, Will Chase and Katharine McPhee. Throughout the hours preceding, Playbill‘s Instagram account and other insiders have shared backstage photos as well as snippets of rehearsal footage, some sampled below.

But I would say the most fun to be had at home is from flipping through the online Playbill for the event, which features the full song list, fake ads (TheEllisReport.com!) and bios for “Ivy Lynn” et al. (Who paid tribute to Kyle Bishop, R.I.P?)

Alas, as Playbill reported, “various union regulations” made recording the event “impossible.” So these teases will have to make do.

Let's prohibit prohibition! @meganhilty #Bombshell #SmashReunion

A post shared by Playbill (@playbill) on

Because a (baseball) diamond is a girl's best friend. #Bombshell @meganhilty

A post shared by Playbill (@playbill) on

A pause in #Bombshell rehearsal for @willchaseme & @jeremymjordan.

A post shared by Playbill (@playbill) on

1. Lo says:

Colour me jealous

2. BrightLight says:

That fake Playbill is the best! Now I will be forever wondering if “Imitation of Life” was a musical or play.
    I wish everyone would have been able to see it, but congrats to those who get to. I’m sure it was as amazing as the show was!

3. Andrea says:

That fake Playbill is hysterically awesome!

4. ninergrl6 says:

GAG I want to be there SO BADLY!!!

5. Cath says:

Smash was a mess at times, but I LOVED Bombshell’s numbers in season 1. I do wish this was being recorded by someone.

6. bethduffy95 says:

I am disabled and was not able to go to NY. I hope that someone made a DVD or Video of this performance. One of the best series and a shame it was cancelled. Congrats to you all for seeing it through! #bombshell #smash

7. Anna says:

I am very, very sad that I will never get to see this. This would’ve been awesome! Anyway, thanks for posting this! The fake Playbill at least is a lot of fun!

8. M says:

If only I could be there to see it…

9. Ann says:

UGH! I wish someone would record this and either sell it or put it online for the rest of us to watch! It’s not fair that only a small group of people get to see this! If the concert organizers were smart, they’d stream it or something. If, as many people stated, this can’t be recorded because it’s being done for charity…then why can’t the organizers still record this and put this out for us to pay to stream it and give the donations to charity??? I just want to see this, I don’t mind if I have to pay $10 or $20 to charity!

10. Andrea says:

What I find so frustrating is that this came out of a TV show that a lot of people watched, which means that more than a couple hundred (the number of people who would fit in a theater) would likely want to see it. If this was a “normal” Broadway run, I’d be more sympathetic to the “no recording” rule, but it’s not . It’s one performance. ONE, and respectfully it seems like someone (be it the performer’s union or whoever it is) needs to give in this specific instance. I don’t condone piracy. I would gladly pay to see this performance via streaming, DVD, or whatever, but the fact that we’re being told that can’t happen when many would pay a reasonable amount….it seriously feels like taunting.