Voice Alum Anthony Riley Dead at 28

The Voice Anthony Riley Dead

Anthony Riley, a Season 8 contestant on NBC’s The Voice, has died of an apparent suicide.

The street performer who wowed judges during with his audition for the reality singing competition passed away Tuesday but wasn’t found until Friday, Yahoo! Music reports.

The talented singer cited personal reasons when he left The Voice just before the Knockout Rounds taped in January. Per Philly.com, Riley told Voice producers about his substance-abuse problems at that time, and the series flew him back to his native Philadelphia. He entered Clarity Way, a nearby drug-and-alcohol rehab program, soon after.

His experience on the competition, while gratifying, was “stressful,” he told Philly.com in March. “There are a lot of days that can turn into lonely days.”

Riley’s rendition of James Brown’s “I Got You (I Feel Good)” during Season 8’s Blind Auditions garnered him the fastest four-chair turnaround in Voice history and a place on Team Pharrell. At the time, TVLine’s Michael Slezak called the performance “pretty much note perfect.”

1. Mary says:

Heartbreaking…nobody should be dead 4 days alone. RIP

2. Sharon Dempster says:

This is absolutley devistating – one so young.

3. Amy J says:

Suicide is always tragic, and in this case it took a considerable talent with it. Life gets better people and always seek help rather than ending your life.

4. solari says:

Sorry, but I only feel bad for real victims…

• Joe says:

Yes, because someone who had a life so difficult that they were pushed to end it is not a “real victim.” Even if you feel that way, many friends, family members, and fans are mourning his loss, and your comment is insensitive and unnecessary. Please be respectful.

• kates2424 says:

Ahh yes, there’s always one of you commenters around that can’t help but judge something/someone they know nothing about. One that can’t help but just get it out there that people who commit suicide are just the worst.

I’m not sure what kind of gratification you get from crapping on someone else’s life. But I am sure that you look like a complete a$$hole.

• Cathy says:

Really? So someone who commits suicide isn’t in that definition? You didn’t know him, and I’m sure it’s a loss for those who knew him. Don’t act heartless, be better than that.

• Spence says:

Just FYI, you ignorant boob, he was actually a “victim” of depression, drug addiction, etc. that lead to this horrible passing. If you’re going to be a disgusting human being and piss on the memory of a deceased person, at least be upfront and honest about where your horrible attitude comes from, not hiding behind the incorrect statement of him “not being a victim”.

• Whatever says:

Something tells me you really only feel bad for yourself. It works out for you because I’m sure no one else does.

• Susannah says:

I know there are people who feel as you do but I can’t understand it. Think about the state of a person’s psyche who truly believes the only way out from their pain is to take their own life. How isolated, sad, lonely and desperate they must be. That should be heartbreaking for anyone with even an ounce of compassion.

• Meh says:

This person just wants attention. If they really felt the way they claim they wouldn’t have even bothered reading this story let alone comment on it.

• Eran says:

Oh you are a vile, heartless creature, aren’t you?

• Meh says:

I’m not sure why you would bother to read this story or comment given your feelings. You’re clearly just seeking attention.

• DYS says:

You must have a pretty big ego if you think that you’re mighty enough dictate what constitutes as a “real victim.” Others having things even worse or fitting your personal definition of victim more doesn’t make his problems irrelevant or less sad, no matter how much you want to minimize things.

• kierankramer says:

TVLine, I’m shocked that you would leave up such an ignorant, mean-spirited comment!!

5. Jerry says:

Rest in peace. I saw a comment about him not being a “real victim”. I came from a place where I was brought up to think that people who commit suicide are “weak” and “quitters” at life, and only when I grew up did I realize that is just so far from the truth. And the fact that there is this perception speaks more about our society rather than the people committing suicide. I know of someone that suffered from depression and felt suicidal. He recovered, but he revealed during the dark period, the person suffering from depression no longer thinks rationally, he is in such a dark state that he sees death, dreams death wherever he goes.

I think it is extremely dangerous to see depression and suicidal tendencies as a character defect. It is a medical condition that requires immediate intervention. Unfortunately, as with so many other cases, the victim is victimized again.

6. brit says:

I got to meet anthony and he was a person who could paralyze you with joy he had so much talent but trust me he had a lot to deal with in his personal life and you should never judge a book by his cover. Not a victim?everyone has demons..you never know the extent of everyone’s demons..be careful what you say.

7. CJ says:

This is really sad to hear. In Philly, so many of us were lucky enough to see him share his musical gifts with the world firsthand as we went about our days. It breaks my heart to know he passed away alone, without anyone knowing for so long. No one deserves that. He will be missed.

8. janster7777 says:

God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes, then you might know what it’s really like to have to choose.

9. Michelle says:

You don’t know what other people are going through. Even people you think you know, they have secrets that you are unaware of. Everything you say, whether to a stranger or a loved one, will have an affect on that person and their day. Personally, I strive for my words and smile to have a positive affect, rather than a negative one. I also have struggled with depression in my life, and always find these stories so sad, but also understand where they come from. People in this online-focused world are SO quick to make judgment, and quick to VOICE that judgment. This is why I quit Facebook. Our online focused presence in today’s world is really turning our society into such a harsh and cruel place. Makes me sad to see all the hate…