Emmys

Emmys 2015: Supporting Actor in a Comedy — Our 6 Dream Nominees!

A hairstylist. A D.C. aide. A community college dean. The characters driving TVLine’s Dream Emmy Ballot for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy couldn’t be more different, but the men who bring them to life are tied together by a common trait: Uncommon talent.

Interestingly enough, though, five of the fellas on our wish list weren’t on the Emmy ballot last year. (Then again, two are from freshman series, and one is from a show that took a nine-year hiatus before its second season — so we can’t necessarily blame the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.)

Who made the cut? Let the dramatic drumroll begin…

Check out the gallery below — or click here for direct access — to peruse our sextet of choices, then sound off in the comments!

1. Amy H says:

Jamie Camil is absolutely brilliant on Jane the Virgin. He should definitely get a nomination.

2. Andre Braugher (B99)
    Matt Ross (Silicon Valley)
    Kevin Bigley or Josh Segarra (Sirens) so many laugh out loud moments from those two
    Ty Burrell (Modern Family)
    Sam Waterston (Grace and Frankie)
    Nick Offerman (Parks and Rec)

3. WOW what an amazing list, THIS would be a dream ballot – I wish EMMY voters actually watched TV like Team TVLine and we do!!

4. Spence says:

Personally I think Nick Offeman as Ron Swanson should get some recognition for his stellar work in the final season (that Leslie andRon episode, anyone?)

5. jdv says:

I love Jane the Virgin, but part of why is that the absurd is grounded in realistic performances. Except Cahill, which is why I just can’t get on his bandwagon for this role.

6. ann says:

If shameless is a comedy then definitely Cameron monaghan

7. Jennifer says:

Ehhh. Not really in agreement with this list. Mine would be:
    Chris Pratt (I mean, seriously)
    Timothy Simons (Can’t stand the character and yet I always want more of him)
    Simon Helberg (Long overdo)
    Adam Driver (Because somehow Girls is a comedy)
    Jaime Camil (He’s hilarious)
    Tony Hale (Love. Love)

• Jennifer says:

Wait, wait, wait!!! Take off Adam Driver and replace him with Ty Burrell!!! How could I possibly forget the amazingness that is Ty Burrell? He needs the win, not only a nomination!

• Tre says:

I love Chris Pratt. And I love Parks and Rec. But I never find Andy funny. He was like adorable puppy. But it was same old gimmick for every episode: “Oh look, Andy is so stupid. He doesnt understand anything. He is so behind on everything. Its so funny people. Laugh”.

Most of the time I even felt sorry for Andy and wondered how he could finish school and live this long independently. He has brain of 10 years old. He is like that Brittany on Glee. I dont find it funny to laugh on people with arrested development.

Chris is great. But his performance was not funny enough for nomination. Andy was not really funny.

8. Jooshua says:

Andre Braugher – Brooklyn Nine-Nine
    Tituss Burgess – Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
    Jaime Camil – Jane the Virgin
    Lamorne Morris – New Girl
    Nick Offerman – Parks and Recreation
    Jim Rash – Community

Wait.. four non-white people? I must be so naive.

• Jooshua says:

Also is TJ Miller a supporting actor on Silicon Valley? If so, I’d maybe replace, Lamorne Morris.. MAYBE.

• HAP says:

I like TJ, too. Did anyone else notice that his role in Silicon Valley has greatly expanded since the early show? Although not billed as such, he’s just about lead actor now.

9. AddieM says:

Definitely yes to Andre Braugher, he is amazing in Brooklyn99.
    I’d also go with Tahj Mawry -BabyDaddy,

• Sorry but nobody that works on Baby Daddy is getting an emmy nomination for their work on Baby Daddy. They’re relegated to People’s and Teen Choice awards lol.

• AddieM says:

Read title….”DREAM NOMINATIONS!”

• Lizo says:

Hahahaha. And no one really deserves it either. Like its a decent (?) show, but it’s not top calibre work. The ABC Family sitcoms are like DisneyPG13. They are great venues to get industry experience but if the actor is talented enough, they’ll likely land somewhere else later. By all means enjoy them, laugh with them, but they aren’t playing the same game.

10. Dude says:

Jaime Camil NEEDS to be nominated! Performance of the year. Titus Burgess is also fantastic.

11. Josh says:

The obsession with the same four shows (Jane/Veep/Comeback/Kimmy) shows a pretty narrow viewpoint. You ignored SO many great shows and actors.

• ? says:

That’s the same criticism I’d give the actual Emmys (curse you Modern Family and Big Bang Theory!!!!!!)

12. murley says:

Andre Braugher absolutely yes. I also am all for Jamie Camil. I think Chris Pratt is long overdue, as is Nick Offerman for that matter and I think Max Greenfiled was superb this year on New Girl. I can’t really argue with this list though. I haven’t had the chance to check out the comeback so that is really the only one I feel meh about.

13. James says:

Titus brought a performance like one that hasn’t been seen in decades. So hilarious and moving

• Lizo says:

Agreed! And the actor brought so much to the role; apparently he like wrote the character (no queer black men on the writing staff) so so much of Titus is because of Tituss

14. Et al says:

That is a perfect list. Can they all win? Oh wait. Most of them won’t be nominated.

15. Nan says:

I don’t watch any of those shows, so it’s a No for me. Simon Helberg for sure.

16. Mille says:

Titus must win.

17. flutiefan says:

Love Tituss, Andre, Jaime, & Jim. Would also put Nick Offerman on there.

18. ukraine2013 says:

Jonah Ryan is such annoying character. Cant stand him. And if they would put him on occasionally then it could be more tolerable. But they put him in every episode. He has no reason to be on the show anymore. Because he doesnt work with Selena directly anymore. But they still show him like he is some major character that everyone suppose to care about.

I never understood why Jonah Ryan is on that show. In every episode….

19. Marissa says:

Based on the shows I watch (I’m sure there are others that may deserve the win this year), I’d be happy with any of these scenarios:
    Veep: Tony Hale or Timothy Simons
    Parks & Rec: Nick Offerman or Chris Pratt
    Brooklyn Nine-Nine: Andre Braugher or Joe Lo Truglio
    New Girl: Jake Johnson or Max Greenfield or Lamorne Morris

20. jan says:

I hope Caitriona Balfe gets the nod for her hard work. That lil girl is in every shot of the first part of the season. She was riding horses, running around in rags in the cold. After all that, she faced the tortuous days of filming sex scenes with Sam Heughan. Poor, poor girl. All that loving can be hazardous.