Emmys

Emmys 2015: Supporting Actress in a Comedy — Our 6 Dream Nominees!

If the 2015 Emmy race for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series were a coastal Japanese village, Mom‘s Allison Janney would be its (mega-talented) Godzilla — bearing down with awesome power, leaving few survivors in her wake.

But while Janney is a shoo-in for a nomination — and a definite front-runner to win her second consecutive statuette for her excellent work in the CBS comedy — Team TVLine likes to sometimes spread the wealth* in creating its Dream Emmy Ballots. (*OK, we’d also accept being called “contrarian.”)

So who made our cut? Five women who weren’t on the Emmy ballot last year (and one who was).

Check out the gallery below — or click here for direct access — to peruse our sextet of choices, then sound off in the comments!

1. scorpo says:

YES!!! Let’s hope Kathleen Rose Perkins finally gets recognized

2. J.Norman says:

Eden Sher would be a good choice as the unbelievably upbeat Sue Heck.

Melissa Rauch? – OK, she plays a part well, but that part is sometimes both hard to take and unbelievable at the same time. I find it hard to fathom why everyone should be afraid of the Bernadette character.

3. Neki says:

50/50 agreement. Yay for Yael, Anna and Eden! I should watch definitely getting on and episodes. Nay for Melissa (and boring Big Bang).
    The other three: Kate McKinnon, Aubrey Plaza and Shanola Hamtpon.
    But the winner is definitely Eden Sher here. What a portrayal! She did it every season, but this one (6th season, not 5th TVLine :D) she gave us a sublime acting.
    And…where are emojis TVLine? … I need to put couple of these: <3<3<3<3<3 for Eden :)

4. AddieM says:

Kathleen Perkins yes please…she’s made that role her own, she deserves a nod.
    Melissa Rauch’s character is very annoying to me, she’s the least humorous character on TBBT.
    I’m really hoping someone other that Allison J wins.

• omabin says:

Did you watch Mom this year? I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions and all but I really don’t get how anyone can root against Allison after the performance she pulled on Mom. She blew anyone out of the water and I personally feel she would win against any of the lead actresses too

• Did you read your own post? You essentially said that everyone is entitled to their own opinions but then indicated, more or less, that anyone who doesn’t share the opinion that Allison deserves the Emmy is wrong.

She wouldn’t be in my top 5 in either category but that’s just my opinion.

5. Alisha says:

I agree about Melissa Rauch.. If Mayim has been nominated thrice, Melissa definitely deserves it equally. I dont think that Amy is in any way funnier than Bernadette.

6. Jooshua says:

I’d like to see some love for Hannah Simone of New Girl. Underrated, in my opinion.

7. Tahoe Mike says:

I’m with you on Kathleen Rose Perkins. She really is hilarious on Episodes.

8. Mr. Tran K says:

Really hope that Kate McKinnon of SNL gets nominated again because I still can’t enough McKinnon and her greatest impressions from the likes of Ellen DeGeneres, Iggy Azalea and of course Justin Bieber. BTW, her crazy eyes.

9. Jooshua says:

So many great funny women to choose from, in leading and supporting, this year.

Allison Janney, Anna Faris, Lisa Kudrow, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Anna Chlumsky, Amy Poehler, Ellie Kemper, Mindy Kaling, Amy Schumer, Gina Rodriguez, Yael Grobglas, Constance Wu, Tracee Ellis Ross, Patricia Heaton, Eden Sher, Ilana Glazer, Abbi Jacobson, Zooey Deschanel, Hannah Simone, Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, Aya Cash, Kristen Schaal, Aubrey Plaza, Chelsea Peretti, Stephanie Beatriz, Melissa Fumero, Wendy McLendon-Covey, Julie Bowen, Sofia Vergara, Sarah Hyland, Ariel Winter, Aubrey Anderson-Emmons, Pamela Adlon, Kaley Cuoco, Melissa Rauch, Mayim Bialik.

You know. Just to name a few. I feel almost anyone from this list could get a nomination, and they would deserve it!

10. murley says:

Stephanie Beatriz would have to be on my list. I would actually take any of the ladies from Brooklyn nine nine but she is my top choice.

11. Rose says:

My personal dream nominees:

Eden Sher – The Middle (she deserves the WIN)
    Allison Janney- Mom
    Merrit Weaver- Nurse Jackie
    Wendi Mclevon-Covey – The Goldburgs (Hope she is submitting as supporting and not as lead)
    Danielle Brooks- Orange is The New Black

12. Mik says:

Just want to point out Amanda Peet (Togetherness) and Lauren Weedman (Looking) did great work this year as well.

13. Dude says:

Hell yes to Yael Grobglas! I was not a fan of her on Reign but she is so perfect as Petra on Jane the Virgin. I didn’t even realize how much I root for her until that throat slash fakeout when I thought she was dead. She brings so much to the character that’s not on paper.

14. flutiefan says:

Mayim over Melissa any day. She even deserves it over Allison Janney (and she’s been robbed).
    But I do love that Eden Sher!!!

15. Mr. Tran K says:

Just as long as Eden Sher is NOT nominated, then it doesn’t matter who is nominated and wins.

• Mr. Tran K says:

Why did you stole my identity and why did you mimicking my name (Mr. Tran K)? If someone tries to mimic my identity, it’s against the law and type in a different name. This ain’t the Eminem song The Real Slim Shady or that Melissa McCarthy movie Identity Thief.

• AddieM says:

Lol so which one of you is the Original…no way of knowing?

16. abz says:

I just started catching up on Mom. I’m obsessed with the show. Allison Janney needs to be nominated again. She should win it too. Such a great funny show.

17. Jennifer says:

I like a few of these! My dream six would be:
    Mayim Bialik (She really does need a win)
    Anna Chlumsky (Loved her in My Girl and love her now)
    Eden Sher (I don’t watch every episode of The Middle but when I do watch she cracks me up)
    Kether Donohue (Her character is ridiculous and I love it)
    Julie Bowen (It really doesn’t get better than her for this category)
    Sofia Vergara (She really is hilarious)

• I think that Julie Bowen is under-rated. Of all the characters on the show, I think that it must be, far and away, the most difficult to make Claire funny but she manages to do so. I feel the same way about the girl who plays Penny on TBBT. All of the other characters have their quirky schticks but Penny does not. The fact that Penny still comes across as a likable and funny character says a lot about the actress.

18. if Anna Chlumsky, Julie Bowen and Kether Donohue got a nom i’d be ecstatic

19. omabin says:

I know you are trying to spread the wealth and all but at this point I think it is getting too crazy. The list may as well be Top 6 Underdogs or something like that, I can’t believe you would be ok with the snubs you are proposing here. No list without Allison Janney (or Julie Bowen) for the matter makes any sense imo and I don’t really think anyone is even close to dethroning Allison Janney, she has this locked.

20. EDEN!!! I hope she will finally get a nomination! The show deserves recognition. Especially Eden’s performance this season has been fantastic!

21. So this year you’re going with – “we know none of these are getting nominations but at least we won’t snub them” lists. I love Eden Sher and she had amazing scenes this year and she alone, because The Middle has not been that fun in the last 2 years. Melissa Rauch is the same way – she gave great performance, but the quality of the show has gone down so it’s a bit hard to make a statement. And lets not forget that Eliza Coupe was snubbed for the second season of Happy Endings and Courtney Cox never got a nod for either Friends or Cougar Town with more than perfect performances – so #IDontTrustTheEmmys…

My list is (I include only shows I watch so…)
    -Allison Janney (Mom) – amazing performance all-season – she made a character of Chuck Lorre realistic and that’s the first time I have seen that.
    -Sarah Hyland (Modern Family) – she was the star of the season – I feel she had more stories this season than any other character on the show and she always did amazing.
    -Julie Bowen – Always fun, always great – I don’t think she should win, but she should be nominated.
    -Alison Brie – Will community get Emmy recognition now that it’s on streaming platform?

• I don’t know why but my favorite(and what I consider one of her most Emmy worthy) episodes was the Friends’ episode where she had to deal with Chandler’s obnoxious boss.(Laughing at his unfunny jokes). I don’t know if she was ever the best in her category but I think it’s a shame that she was never recognized with a nomination.

22. Christy says:

Susan Lucci on Devious Maids!!!!

23. Garret Jordan says:

Melissa Rauch is an absolute joy to watch every week. She deserves a nom for sure! Her and Mayim probably extended the life of BBT by YEARS – offering tons of great story lines. Allison Janney plays the MOM on MOM therefore is a lead actress and should in no way occupy space in this category!

24. danmc says: