Bones: Angela's Real Name Exposed!

Bones Angela's Real Name

Angela Montenegro she is most definitely not.

On Thursday night’s episode, Bones finally unmasked Angie’s birth name when Hodgins happened upon her passport and discovered that his wife is actually… Pookie Noodlin!

Although Angela described it as something you’d name a pet, she never had it legally changed because it meant something important to her dad.

Behind-the-scenes, the unusual moniker was the combined creation of executive producers Hart Hanson and Stephen Nathan. “[Hart] had a name in the file that he had thought of,” Nathan tells TVLine. “We just put them together.”

“We’ve been making names for years… At a certain point, you just have to jump in the pool,” he adds with a laugh.

Bones fans, what did you think of the reveal of Angela’s real name? Did it live up to the hype? Are you a fan of Pookie?

1. Sheila says:

That’s incredibly stupid.

2. mdbchud says:

I think that was the point

3. Sarah says:

I don’t watch this show but how is it that this guy didn’t know his own wife’s legal name? Wouldn’t he have seen it when they signed their marriage license or done their taxes?

• Joey says:

This is TV. Logic doesn’t apply. In TV people can go and get married on a whim and it’ll be totally legit, despite the opposite being true in real life. In TV you can jump through a pane of glass and just look cool. In real life you’ll just bounce off the glass, or if you do make it through, you’ll either die or end up seriously injured.

TV is dumb and never makes sense, especially low-level garbage like Bones.

• Jake says:

Or they can get married in Vegas and not know it, then apply for a job with the FBI and it still doesn’t show up in the background check, but finally apply for a marriage license and some clerk discovers it and tells you….

• Grey says:

Yep. That one still bugs the hell out of me. That’s why I’m not that upset at Marlowe leaving “Castle.” My hope is that the new show runners will a) infuse just a wee bit of plausible logic back into the show (like it had in the early days), and b) keep better track of chronological events like deaths, school attendance records, and birthdays (for example, currently Castle could have been born in both 1969 or 1971). You know, the simple s–t that should be relatively easy to keep track of. To TPTB, it’s called a show bible and I’d be more than happy to fly down to LA and keep it for you since you can’t seem to find someone who can. :-(

• Lydia says:

It’s one of the biggest plot holes as Angela already knew she was married but she glossed over it. In the season one episode where they get background checks for security clearance, Angela is asked by the interviewer when the last time she saw her husband was to which she splutters out “Wow, that took? Didn’t seem legal.” and “We were in Fiji”. It was a lame plotline and it re-wrote canon.

• Boiler says:

If you haven’t watched why are you commenting

• dc sarah says:

I have changed my name ‘officially’ but not ‘legally’. all my I.d. has the name I changed it to…except my passport, which uses my given name, and lists my chosen name under ‘known as’.

4. kmw says:

I actually thought the name would be weirder but oh well. The episode was great besides that

5. formerfan says:

I call BS. Besides the fact that they said her middle name was Pearlygates a few seasons back…Hart Hanson needs to come back and bring the show back to being good.

• Olie says:

Who says she still doesn’t have the name? Her father wanted name her child “Staccato Mamba”, she could have had a longer name.

By the way, Hart may not be a full time showrunner, but he is there. And did you that he was the showrunner back in Season 6 and everybody hated him? Yeah… I don’t think SN being a shorunner has anything to do with that.

• Bob Backus says:

” bring the show back to being good.” Funny, I never remembered it ever being that. Is the stupid woman still a robot? Has she learned how to be human yet? Really, really bad writing. No one with interpersonal relationships is that robotic and stupid.

6. Paloma says:

Seriously? Hodgins would know this already. Marriage license, joint tax returns and other legal documents. Anytime they flew on a plane tigethe

7. Paloma says:

Seriously? Hodgins would know this already. Marriage license, joint tax returns and other legal documents. Anytime they flew on a plane together. When they did their guardianship documents for Michael Vincent in case anything happens. Impossible to believe that a husband doesn’t know his wife’s legal name.

Would have been more interesting if someone else had picked up the passport and opened it. Or we found out some other way.

But I love the Angela and Hodgins so much.

• Olie says:

Well, they said she changed in the past.. so either they forgot about that, or she just added Angela at the beginning of the name and Montenegro to the end, which would mean, she can legally use the shorter version Angela Montenegro, with her full name being Angela Pookie Noodlin Pearly-Gates Montenegro, wouldn’t it?

• suzi says:

She didn’t want him to know, so I can see him respecting that (signing second, just not looking) and finding out by accident. Her name wasn’t nearly as bad as it could have been, but she changed it when she was a teenager I think, so she must have seen it as pretty bad.
      I wish this “recap” had dealt more with the episode itself, which I enjoyed.

8. Olie says:

It’s funny! :) To us I mean, poor Angela.

9. linda says:

Why can’t people believe in the innocence of tv. It is make belief. If it is real then it will be boring. It’s the exaggerated version of real life. Get over it or stop watching.

10. arial2 says:

I don’t care about the name reveal, what I care about is the indication that my two favorite characters are moving to Paris with very little notice – again. Did you see the distressed look on Cam’s face? They have the sweetest relationship on the show. Are the actors really leaving the show or is this just a short arc after which the characters decide to stay? I can’t imagine Angela leaving before Tempe gives birth, at any rate; it would not be in keeping with the character who has developed over the years. However, if they’d like to move the whole show to Paris for several episodes, I’d be all for that!

• kmw says:

They may be moving there, temporarily, but since both actors re signed for another year I do not think you have to worry about them being gone for long. As for reveal of name ,it was fine but making a big deal about how it affects her job or why Hodgins wouldn’t have known by now is not what is important. This was a silly plot point they held on to years and that’s all it is; a silly reveal. I do wish this had been an actual recap because the episode was great and Brennan in particular was terrific. She is not robotic and anybody who continues to watch the show knows she has grown in this relationship with Booth. Also if you had watched last night you would have noticed Brennan solved the case with her gut and brought Booth back home with her gut instinct as well. Doesn’t sound stupid to me

• arial2 says:

If you’re replying to my comment, please don’t call out a different poster for calling something “stupid” as if it had been my comment. I never said stupid anywhere! In fact, I didn’t even discuss Brennan and Booth. And I agree that the “silly plot point” of Angela’s real name was long overdue to be resolved. And I did watch the show last night and am thankful they’re moving past the separation thanks to the fact that Tempe has grown emotionally and can now rely on her “gut” more, instead of just cold logic. Too many plot lines at one time can damage a show. Thanks for the contract information; I didn’t know that. Now I can be happy in the knowledge that we are not losing my favorite couple.

11. ChicagoDan says:

So Angela goes to jail for tax evasion since she was using a fake name. Also I’m assuming she’s never flown or bought property, etc. Some states used to allow adoption of a name through usage, but that all changed after 9/11 and if you wanted to use that name, it had to be legally changed. I know because that’s what happened to me. Kind of insulting for a program where security and clearance is definitely a requirement for the characters.

• suzi says:

I think she changed it–legally-when she was 18, and she could have just added Angela Montenegro to the name her father gave her, so it’s all legal .Hodgins has known she changed her name since Season Three.

12. Boiler says:

I think some of you need to get a life. Enjoy the show as is or quit watching. A lot of people do like it and don’t need your crap

13. John NYC says:

It does seem to be a plot hole. Simply having her old, expired, passport around that she dug out to be part of the required documentation for her new one with her “old” name on it would have held up (simply the thing dated from before she legally changed her name, had she done so). But her never having legally changed her name and that not being something her husband had been aware of doesn’t. Getting married involves a lot of paperwork, paperwork that pretty much has to have your legal name on it, not to mention payroll at the Jeffersonian….

Can it be explained away? Interested to see how. But I’m more inclined to suspension of disbelief time again and just sitting back and enjoying the fun of Pookie digging out from this one.

14. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

A. the name is stupid B. it was funny I mean you had to laugh at that sh*t. Now that Hodgins and Angela are moving to Paris does that mean we’re going to less of them next season?

15. David Cadena says:

It didn’t make sense to do this now. Looks like they just threw that in. Confusing viewers,and giving reasons to watch the next episodes. I was so disappointed.

16. The name fits the character that her father is, remember the name he wanted for Angela’s/Hodgins baby? Hodgins may never have seen her real name because tax form they would say just sign here, a marriage license isn’t always signed by the bride/groom they just give info and proof of info. If Hodgins gave his info and walked a way Angela would hold the license until given to the minister. The minister doesn’t have to say her legal name. So easy to keep concealed.

17. Whatever says:

Just as stupid as the show. So glad I stopped watching.

• So?? says:

Well, what I find stupid is, you, claiming you stopped watching the show–but, had to scurry in and drop an inane comment. Stupid is as stupid does……….

• spike2jj says:

You people néed learn that Bones is a comedy and a crime show. If you want real go watch Investigation Discovery this is fiction. People watch tv to escape reality not see boring everyday stuff.

18. James says:

People , people . This stuff isn’t real. It’s ENTERTAINMENT .

• John NYC says:

And many people find expressing faux internet outrage; entertaining.

• D. Smith says:

Thank you for reminding people. Too often viewers seem to forget it’s all made up and how anybody feels about any of it shouldn’t bother anybody else. For myself, I went from being a regular watcher to a sometimes one. Some of you can yell at me if you want but I got tired of the too often denseness and lack of emotional understanding in “Bones.” She’s gotten a little more human now, thank goodness, but still?

19. Molly says:

I’m not surprised that Hanson came up with something as lame as Pookie Noodlin.

20. pete says:

Didn’t Angela’s dad, Billy Gibbons, call her Pookie sometime during the shows run?

21. Jean Burton says:

Have been watching Bones from the beginning and it is my and my husband’s favorite show on TV. PLEASE DO NOT KILL IT.

22. tsevca says:

It´s like they are forgetting, what they once put in. Angela and Hodgins already lived in Paris, but she´s talking about how it was her dream, like she never did it. And didn´t she once said she had it changed? How else would you explain it stay unknown tho whole time? Not just the wedding, even though it wouldn´t be legit if she got married under false name. But she works with FBI, they had some cases even with National Security. How could she do that without revealing her real name at least to Booth?

23. stephanie duffell says:

What happened to Pearly Gates?